The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

novicewetshaver's shave journal

for todays shave i went with stirlings intrepid man. lathered it up and got a nice creamy thick lather. i did one pass with my goldedge today. the lather wasnt quite as slick as yesterday perhaps i needed a tad more water. still have a bit of trouble getting that curve down from the chin to the neckle area, but i did do the neck area. so i got a 1 pass done today even if it was a bit rough going and not as smooth as yesterday. finished up wiht my fatboy with 2 passes and a cleanup pass and a 2 pass headshave. finished the shave off with some thayers lavender flavored witch hazel and some stirling aftershave and balm. let everything dry down then used some paraso aftershave balm to fnish off the shave. overall a decent shave. a few nicks but nothing too seerious. im thinking tomrrow im going to go for sv's 70th.

a pretty damn good shave
for todays shave i went with sv's 70th. really been digging that scent lately and i wanted to get some more time with sv soaps to get the lather down. today i used barberdaves method of lathering and it seemed to work really well. instead of tryin to create a lahter in the bowl, i merely loaded up the lather with about a tablespoon of bloom water that i dumped back into the brush before loading out of the bowl. i scooped a little more than a 1/4 of tsp and bloomed it while i showered. im hesistant to load straight off the puck because i have had soaps turn funky, so i think im going to try this method for a while, it seemed to net me good lather. i proceeded to load the brush than go into a face lather, the lather was a bit on the airy side, but with some work it quickly turned creamy as i worked it into my face. i added small amounts of water from my mugs to the tips of the brush and the lather developed quite well. i backed the razor down today to 6 instead of going with 7 and it feel really comfortable on the face, and i didntt get any nicks which i nromally get some around the chin and moustache area, and the bottom of my neck usually becomes a bit irratated, but the shave was much more smoother. there were parts that i didnt quite get bbs around the neckle area, but i will work on that tomrrow. i did a 3 pass shave with a 4th clean up with soap to spare for a 2 pass head shave. loving the sv so far, and i really love 70th, its such a wonderful scent for these summer days. i would imagine if they ever found the fountain of youth thats the scent it would be, but i digress. gonna work a bit more with sv this week, tomorrow i will go with cubebe and then next week restart my straight razor journey, those dastardly street tacos did me in for a good few weeks but im getting back into the groove of things. thanks for stopping by.

a pretty damn good shave
for todays shave i went with sv's 70th. really been digging that scent lately and i wanted to get some more time with sv soaps to get the lather down. today i used barberdaves method of lathering and it seemed to work really well. instead of tryin to create a lahter in the bowl, i merely loaded up the lather with about a tablespoon of bloom water that i dumped back into the brush before loading out of the bowl. i scooped a little more than a 1/4 of tsp and bloomed it while i showered. im hesistant to load straight off the puck because i have had soaps turn funky, so i think im going to try this method for a while, it seemed to net me good lather. i proceeded to load the brush than go into a face lather, the lather was a bit on the airy side, but with some work it quickly turned creamy as i worked it into my face. i added small amounts of water from my mugs to the tips of the brush and the lather developed quite well. i backed the razor down today to 6 instead of going with 7 and it feel really comfortable on the face, and i didntt get any nicks which i nromally get some around the chin and moustache area, and the bottom of my neck usually becomes a bit irratated, but the shave was much more smoother. there were parts that i didnt quite get bbs around the neckle area, but i will work on that tomrrow. i did a 3 pass shave with a 4th clean up with soap to spare for a 2 pass head shave. loving the sv so far, and i really love 70th, its such a wonderful scent for these summer days. i would imagine if they ever found the fountain of youth thats the scent it would be, but i digress. gonna work a bit more with sv this week, tomorrow i will go with cubebe and then next week restart my straight razor journey, those dastardly street tacos did me in for a good few weeks but im getting back into the groove of things. thanks for stopping by.
Glad you're feeling better.

been trying the barberdave method for lathering sv and have been getting great results. i have been using my bowl to bloom the soap then load the soap into the brush and go into a face lather and slowly add water by dipping the tips in water. seems to be working pretty damn good. heres some pics of my lather. builds pretty thick lather with a nice face feel to it. gonna keep using sv for the rest of the week. loving both cubebe and 70th atm. thanks for stopping by

Attachments

• 20220711_144311.jpg
    20220711_144311.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220711_145048.jpg
    20220711_145048.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220711_145052.jpg
    20220711_145052.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220711_145101.jpg
    20220711_145101.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220711_145103.jpg
    20220711_145103.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220711_145107.jpg
    20220711_145107.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 6
Beautiful lather, you gotta be proud of that! I agree with @Spider but to each his own. I have 10 year old soaps(sad I know) which have been exclusively lathered with a wet brush with no ill affects. The lather looks great though, so if it works it works!

Something that may help, if you don’t do it already, is leaving the soap out for a bit after the shave, with the lid off. Helps some of that excess moisture from loading/blooming evaporate and keeps the soap more firm/dry.

Conversely, if a soap is getting too dry, I’ll put the lid back on right after I’m done, to help remain some moisture.

been trying the barberdave method for lathering sv and have been getting great results. i have been using my bowl to bloom the soap then load the soap into the brush and go into a face lather and slowly add water by dipping the tips in water. seems to be working pretty damn good. heres some pics of my lather. builds pretty thick lather with a nice face feel to it. gonna keep using sv for the rest of the week. loving both cubebe and 70th atm. thanks for stopping by
giphy.gif

I’ve been loading directly off all of my soaps for over 10 years. Nothing has ever gone bad or funky.
be that as it may it did happen to me which is why i prefer this method over loading directly off the puck. i know it works for a lot of people i just dont want my soaps turning. maybe the soap didnt get enought time to dry out, not sure what happened, all i know is started smelling really bad after i didnt use it for a while

hobo shave
i took about 5 days off from shaving, so i looked liked a dirty hobo and was in depsterate need of a shave. i was going to wait till tomrrow but i decided what the hell, i needed to get this beard off and decided to do a late afternoon shave. I decided to go with cubebe today, the weather felt right for that particular scent today. i took my new blue diamond out for a spin, this is about the 4th shave i have done with it. still only 1 pass though im working on getting better at using the straight razor, but im still struggling with the letf handed portion of the shave. i loaded up my brush and did the first pass and while the soap was pretty slick i think i needed a tad more water, still working on getting this face latherhing down, i rinsed my face and proceeded to do a secon and third pass with my fatboy. i seemed to get a much better lather for the second and third, like barberdave levels of lathering, very slick and felt very protective, i think barberdave would have been proud of my lather i whipped up today for my second and third pass. face is feeling pretty fresh and well hydrated post shave. tomorrow im thinking about going with 70th. thanks for stopping by.

yesterday's shave
i took the new spartacus from araina and evans out for a spin. i used 1/4 tsp and 2 tsp of water to bloom the soap as i showered. i think i might have used a tad bit too much water the soap turned out a bit on the thinner side. the performance was decent. i wish i could say that i liked this particular scent but it fell a bit short for me. its was super light and the oak moss note for me was to up front and center, after the other notes wore off all i as left with was an overbearing oakmoss scent, smelled a bit to funky for me. im not sure if this one will grow on me or not. i think im also going to start loading directly from the tub instead of scooping. did a three pass shave with only slight irratation.

Back