The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Next Show Prep- Member involvment

BarberDave

I pre-date cheese sauce
Owner
Veteran
Legacy
First Responder
Hey Folks,
we are preparing for our next show, and based on feedback the owners will wrap up the show each week with our crazy ramblings. But we need you help. Two things...

for a segment this month lets talk about Pre-shave Oils / Treaments Pro /Con and or a question. Please post here. we will try to get as many on the show as possible

I will start another topic for Stump / Question the owners

Thanks for being a part of TSC

For those that use a hot towel. What are some of the ways you get and keep your towel hot until use?

I’ll preface with the face that I only use preshave products (if at all) as part of my post-shave routine for moisturization, they add nothing/a negligible amount of benefits to my pre-shave routine.

That said:

What are the virtues of preshave creams vs virtues of preshave oils? Is there a worthwhile difference in using one over the other?

I’d like to see the question posed last week on the forum, “Can you prep too much?” answered. Would “over prepping” be detrimental to a shave?

Specific type of towel recommended for the “bandito” prep?

My opinion is that oils really don't do much on their own to prepare the beard for shaving. They possibly may give some additional lubricity to the blade during the shave, IF the lather is painted on over the top, but if you face lather, I would imagine that any lubricating properties are scrubbed away by the brush.

Best prep? IMHO, it's heat+water+acidic agent (soap of some sort). So shave products such as pre-shave soaps and creams that might have some sort of acidic component would work just as well as a pre-shave lather. Combine that with a hot, wet towel for a minute or three, and stubborn stubble becomes a bit more cooperative in my experience.

I have only ever used two pre-shave treatments, and they are both quite similar. First I used the Proraso Crema Pre Barba with Menthol and Eucalyptus. I completely enjoy this product as a pre-treatment; however, I never really experienced a noticeable improvement in my shave. When this ran out, I switched to Noxema as these two products are similar in consistency, and Noxema is far cheaper. However, Noxema does not have Menthol (does have Eucalyptus), and the experience is not as satisfying to me. I must add that my skin is not that prone to irritation normally. In summary, I have discontinued all pretreatment other than a facial wash during a hot shower, and I am no worse for wear. But I have read plenty about those that are prone to irritation find that Noxema or the Proraso Crema Pre Barba (Green Tea and Oat for sensitive skin) improve this aspect of their shave. I should point out that both the Noxema and the Proraso products are water soluble. I would apply it just prior to applying lather.

My facial soap, my shampoo and my body wash is all the same product, and is essentially a Castle (Olive Oil) soap that I make myself with 10% coconut oil for a little cleansing, 5% Shea Butter and 5% Castor Oil. I originally found this as a baby soap recipe, and it has a high (8%) super fat content (amount of fat that is not saponified). I have just started into my third batch of this soap, and I am happy with the performance so I have not changed it at all. My wife also uses this soap as a facial soap, and she is quite sensitive to drying. Although I have never used a oil pre-shave product per se, this soap does have a lot of conditioning (skin) properties. In my way of thinking, you want to have a well hydrated beard in order to have it prepared for shaving. Soap has wetting properties to facilitate this hydration. To me a pre-shave oil treatment would be counter intuitive as you would end up coating the whisker with oil, hence causing it to repel water. There are those that use and enjoy oil pre-treatments, and they feel they get a benefit from them.

Usually I simply wash my face with a CBL soap or other preshave soap and leave it rather wet. Then apply my lather and let it sit a few minutes before adding another lather lather before letting the blade go to skin.

My pre shave routine:

Wash face, usually in shower
Hot towel for about 1 minute
Lather
Hot towel on later for about 1 minute
Some massaging of lather while towel is on face.
Re-wet face (not a rinse), lather, then shave.

Back