The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Newbie Introduction

Nostalgic Shaver

Shave Newbie
Newbie Steve here. At least to straight razor shaving. I will be turning 50 at the end of August. I have been de shaving for about 2.5 yrs. I own several vintage Gillette de razors, Gems, Valet and a nice Wilkinson Sword. I have been watching Barber Dave's tutorials and working on my 3rd day of SRS. So currently for the straight razor I am using is a Gold Dollar 208 6/8. I also have Dubl Duck 11/16 Dwarf. Not sure which one is better for starting out but gonna finish my week with the Gold Dollar. But of course I am open to any helpful suggestions, tips, and tricks from any of you "masters". 😉

Welcome officially Steve!

What are some of you favorite hardware/software pieces currently?

1660005592856.gif
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have another straight shaver join the fold of the Cadre! We are an inclusive bunch and happy to help and answer any questions you may have.

Great razors to start with! Did you receive both professionally honed or did you hone them yourself? What are you using to strop with? Dave’s videos are great! Glad to see you’re learning from a professional shaver like him!

If you’re not already honing and want to get started, let us know we’d be happy to help you pick out stones and provide videos and/or live demonstrations if needed.

Keep working at your technique and you’ll soon be as pretty as me Scarred… only a little 😂

Welcome officially Steve!

What are some of you favorite hardware/software pieces currently?
My favorite hardware I would say is the 1930s Gillette new long open comb paired with a Nacet and the Muhle R41 with either a Nacet or if I'm feeling frisky a feather. I really enjoy all my razors it's just a matter of finding the right blade for each one.

View attachment 90909
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have another straight shaver join the fold of the Cadre! We are an inclusive bunch and happy to help and answer any questions you may have.

Great razors to start with! Did you receive both professionally honed or did you hone them yourself? What are you using to strop with? Dave’s videos are great! Glad to see you’re learning from a professional shaver like him!

If you’re not already honing and want to get started, let us know we’d be happy to help you pick out stones and provide videos and/or live demonstrations if needed.

Keep working at your technique and you’ll soon be as pretty as me Scarred… only a little 😂
I did not hone them. Gold Dollar bought from Razor Emporium. The Dubl Duck I bought shave ready from ebay. I would like to get started honing too. Just not sure of which stones to purchase though I did find a stone at an antique shop for $10. And it has never been used. It's a Carborundum 118S. My strop is a Russia Shell.

I did not hone them. Gold Dollar bought from Razor Emporium. The Dubl Duck I bought shave ready from ebay. I would like to get started honing too. Just not sure of which stones to purchase though I did find a stone at an antique shop for $10. And it has never been used. It's a Carborundum 118S. My strop is a Russia Shell.
When you’re ready to start honing, check out the honing section and post a thread and we’ll help you make some solid informed choices. Can’t go wrong with a shell strop!

Back