The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Newbie from Mt. Pleasant SC

Adamf

Jr. Shave Member
Good morning all,

I used to DE shave over 12 years ago. I ended up getting a subscription to Dollar shave club. 12 years later I decided to ditch the cartridge razor and go back to DE shaving.
A few weeks ago I grabbed a Vander Hagen DE razor from my local Target. After doing some research, I think I am going to purchase a Henson AL13 Med. From what I’ve read, the mild is VERY mild.
Right now it is a matter of funds. Gonna have to save my Pennie’s.
the Vanderhagen blades, IMO, are garbage. At least for me. I’m going to order some Astra Platinum from Amazon and see how they do. Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Adam

Welcome Adam! Glad you could join us!

Hope you are able to get your Henson! It’s a decent razor.

Welcome Adam! Glad you could join us!

Hope you are able to get your Henson! It’s a decent razor.
Thanks for the welcome. Which Henson have you tried? For me its going to be a toss up between the medium and aggressive. Haven’t seen too many videos about the aggressive though.

Thanks for the welcome. Which Henson have you tried? For me its going to be a toss up between the medium and aggressive. Haven’t seen too many videos about the aggressive though.
I have the Medium which has a bit of blade feel but overall is fairly mild feeling still. It’s a decent razor to have and looks cool, but with what else I have, it doesn’t see much use unfortunately.

Welcome Adam.
Be careful who you listen to in these parts, if you are looking to save money.
Some of us have the capacity to make others spend more money on shave gear than they ever thought possible.
Have fun.

1682876803910.gif

Welcome to the forum Adam! Glad to see you join the discussions!

Have you ever tried a vintage Gillette DE razor?

Couldn’t agree more about your assessment of Vander Hagen blades. For myself, I’ve settled on Gillette Silver Blue and Wizamet Super Iridium as my blades of choice when using a DE.

Let me know if you’re ever interested in checking out a straight razor. Would be glad to help you down that road when the time comes.

Some of us have the capacity to make others spend more money on shave gear than they ever thought possible.
I have no clue what he’s talking about ☺️😂

I have the Medium which has a bit of blade feel but overall is fairly mild feeling still. It’s a decent razor to have and looks cool, but with what else I have, it doesn’t see much use unfortunately.
Thanks for the feedback. Let me know if you ever want to part ways with your Henson. That said, I see it is currently sellling at around $70.00 U.S. that’s way above my price range at the moment.

Welcome Adam.
Be careful who you listen to in these parts, if you are looking to save money.
Have fun.
Thanks Bill, I’ll keep that in mind 😁

Welcome Adam Glad to have you here, Let us know if you have any questions and feel free to reach out to our Concierge staff, or the ownership. We love this group of hooligans

Welcome Adam Glad to have you here, Let us know if you have any questions and feel free to reach out to our Concierge staff, or the ownership. We love this group of hooligans
BarberDave, I’ll be sure to keep that in mind. Thanks for the warm welcome

Good morning all,

I used to DE shave over 12 years ago. I ended up getting a subscription to Dollar shave club. 12 years later I decided to ditch the cartridge razor and go back to DE shaving.
A few weeks ago I grabbed a Vander Hagen DE razor from my local Target. After doing some research, I think I am going to purchase a Henson AL13 Med. From what I’ve read, the mild is VERY mild.
Right now it is a matter of funds. Gonna have to save my Pennie’s.
the Vanderhagen blades, IMO, are garbage. At least for me. I’m going to order some Astra Platinum from Amazon and see how they do. Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Adam
Welcome Adam. I think my Henson AL13 Medium is alright but I like my Edwin Jagger DE89 better. It's not too mild nor too aggressive either. I really like the Astra SP blades and I think they're good value for the money too. Glad to see you here.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Welcome Adam. I think my Henson AL13 Medium is alright but I like my Edwin Jagger DE89 better. It's not too mild nor too aggressive either but I find it more efficient than my Henson. I really like the Astra SP blades and I think they're good value for the money too. Glad to see you here.

Wombadom
The Astra are the first blades I plan on purchasing. They seem to be a favorite of a bunch of people. They are also very reasonably priced. I hear Feather blades are also pretty good.

Wombadom
The Astra are the first blades I plan on purchasing. They seem to be a favorite of a bunch of people. They are also very reasonably priced. I hear Feather blades are also pretty good.
I used a Feather this morning in an Edwin Jagger DE89. It was my 8th use of it. Keep in mind they are the sharpest DE blades on the market . If you can, a sampler pack of blades might be a good idea so you can try different blades. I didn't like the VDH blades either.

Welcome to The Cadre, and your new home in the Wet Shaving community! Good to have you here. Lots of amazing people here so anything you want to know, or need to ask, we're here for you!

Lots to see, read, and get involved with here. We're much more than just a wet shaving forum. I'm here for the camaraderie more than anything else. We have so much fun. In addition to the traditional SOTD type posts, we also have a lot of Shave VLOGers, we have a section of Shaving Journals, host bi-weekly Zoom Calls, play Forum Bingo bi-monthly, bi-monthly “fantasy” sumo contest, host an annual Holiday Gift and Card exchange, and so much more.

Aside from Shaving, we’re also into pipes, cigars, coffee, watches, guns, cars, astronomy, fitness, food, alcohol, pets, beekeeping, gardening, music, movies, and just about any other hobby out there. If you don’t see a thread already about a hobby you’re interested in…. start one!

All these activities make us more than just a Forum or Wet Shaving Community. We’re a Brotherhood, a Family, or simply put: The Cadre! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Please make sure to familiarize yourself with our Terms and Conditions Linked Here:
https://theshavingcadre.com/threads/tsc-terms-of-use-tou-revisions-updates-2-2021.3796/

Should you need any assistance in navigating the site or help please contact any of our friendly Concierge Staff.

@Spider , @NurseDave @heysi , @Fenster

or feel free to reach out to any of the owners of TSC
@BarberDave
@CVargo
@CBLindsay

Back