The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

New to the Cadre....

First off, want to thank Chad for reaching out to me and inviting me to join the Cadre.

About Me:

Married to a wonderful woman since 1982, no kids. Seeing nieces and nephews start to have families is fun to be a part of, but there is a part of me that wishes they were grandkids instead.

Occupation: Experience accountant, not currently working in an accounting role. I hope to change that soon.

I just turned 60 in March and learned to shave with a DE around 1973 when I was 15. I remember dad bringing an adjustable razor (Slim maybe?) a blade and some canned foam. Might have been Barbasol. I used the DE and later an injector before switching to cartridge shaving. Still have both a Shick Tracer and Gillette Sensor Excel handle and old blades. Came back to the DE world in March 2014 with the purchase of a MicroTouchOne and some Dorco blades. Six months later I bought my first brush (B & B Essential boar-Seafoam Green) and it's still my daily driver. Although I have a Rocket synthetic on the way.

Razors are in addition to the MTO which I haven't used in almost two years, are vintage Gillette. A D1/1958 Flare Tip Super Speed (birth year/quarter), a I2/1963 Slim and a M1/1967 Black Handle Super Speed. At this point no real desire to add razors. Gillette Silver Blue and Astra SP's are my blades of choice. I use others from time to time, but they are the go to blades.

I have between 7-9 soaps at present. I am a big fan of Beehive Soap's offerings. I have one scent she never offered for sale (Peppermint) plus all but one she is currently offering, and I had it just finished it in the last couple of months. After shaves - standard drug store fare mostly. Ice Blue Aqua Velva, Old Spice, Nivea balm, plus a couple of others.

Some of my non shaving interests include fountain pens both vintage and modern. Chad says I am quite the enabler in that regard, and he may be right. I have about 30 or so pens from about 11 manufacturer's including Esterbrook, Pelikan, Parker (mostly vintage), TWSBI, among others. I got four inks just since the beginning of March. (Iroshizuku Kon Peki, KWZI El Dorado, Pine Green and Brown #4).

Watches - mostly Invicta, but a few other brands too.
Distance running. Between 2000 and 2013 I ran 16 marathons with a best time of 3:46:17 in 2004 and a 3:48:56 in 2012. I haven't raced since 2014, but still get out occasionally. Not like I need to though. But the 50-70 mile weeks of marathon training are behind me for good I believe.

Welcome to this wonderful group of the best shavers on the planet. I agree GSB and Astra SP are the best DE blades out there.

Welcome to the Cadre. I always loved reading your entries about Nib. Hopefully we can get some interest going here also.

Great back story on the shaving also.

Welcome to the Cadre. Glad to have you. My wife is training for a half marathon in May. At this point, she just hopes to finish it. I think she will, but she doesn't.

Welcome, great to have you here

Welcome aboard Glad to have you here. Make sure you review the Terms of usage and other administrative items.. Most importantly have fun

Quijote said:
Welcome to the Cadre. Glad to have you. My wife is training for a half marathon in May. At this point, she just hopes to finish it. I think she will, but she doesn't.

What is her long run up to? When running a half, I was usually in marathon training so my long runs were longer than the race! She will get there.

I honestly do not know. I think she is running around 6-7 miles. I think the hardest part for her is going to be doing it with her sister. I can walk faster that her sister runs.

Welcome Ute. I have a Mont Blanc Rollerball I got in 1993 or so, but my penmanship sucks. Chris really knows how to use his pens though. His handwriting is the finest I have seen. I've saved every note from him.

Welcome to TSC, GSB and Astra SP's are my go-to DE blades as well. Hmm, not enough acronyms in this post....

That is what the HMFIC Stated in his SNAFU report from CINCPAC
1f60b.png

Welcome Ute! A merry bunch are we! I’m sure you will have a good time with the gang!

Welcome on!

Sounds like a fulfilling life you lead, even without little ones (or bigger ones) running about. Good for you!

Back