The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

New SSD in my laptop turned it into a new computer!

Majorrich

"I have Always been Rich"
Veteran
Legacy
I tried to put a new SSD in my Laptop and found out that Win 10 is a different critter under the skin than XP was. So I farmed it out to the Best Buy guys. Alas, all of my data is on the old drive and I have to figure out how to move it over to the new one. I do have Firefox back and some stuff, but don't know if I can just copy the User file over like we used to in the old NT days.
Anyway. sure I went from 1TB down to 500G, but now things happen almost before I hit the enter key! I guess I don't need a new laptop after all, so long as I can move my contacts and music and especially all my pics over.
Do I ever need to worry about fragmentation on a solid state drive?

I never thought about that...i think we have some guys around here in the biz...I'll wait for them to answer.

With 500 GB to work with, unless you’re doing regular, high volume file things, you should be OK for quite a while in regards to defragging.

You may need to just shut down occasionally to clear the RAM and give the hardware a breather.

Thanks Chris! Is it entirely terribly hazardous to overwrite my user file with my old user file?

Usually no, but you did make a pretty big OS jump so some things may not compute. Definitely ask a certified techie!

Actually it was Win10 before I had the drive put in. Just after they installed it, I had to reinstall all kind of stuff.

Back