The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

New soap lathering philosophy

kingfisher

1/2 Straight Razor 1/2 Shavett ...ALL Man!
Veteran
I know a lot of people on the fora talk about loading a lot of soap solids into your lathers. "Load it like you hate it" has been a frequently mentioned mantra.

I started lathering using the Merkur Man method (if you are unfamiliar, essentially it is starting with a brush that is quite dry, loading soap, and then adding water bit by bit while you continue to make lather on the puck; after a long while, you go to the face or bowl to finish it off with a bit more water). While it is true that the Merkur Man method results in uniformly excellent lathers that are unctuous and shiny, I discovered, by keeping track of the number of shaves from each soap I was using, that it blows through soaps in a hurry. And by a hurry, I mean on the order of about 30-40 shaves per puck, even of a soap like CRSW Select. From new to gone in something like 35 shaves. Yikes!

But here's what I have discovered. You can get a very similarly awesome lather without loading anywhere near that much soap. What IS required, however, is TIME. The problem with a lot of soap lathers is that they look really, really good a long time before they have actually reached their peak (no pun intended). I began lathering by loading for a lot shorter period of time but then working the lather much longer, adding water in small amounts over and over again, and I'm getting ridiculously good lathers with much less soap usage.

So, I propose "The Kingfisher method," as it were, and a new mantra, "Work it like you've got all day." For me, this is what results in outstanding lathers. What would Bartles and James say? "We will use no lather before its time."

I still start with a dryish brush, but I load for just a little bit, until I can tell there is soap loaded onto the bristles but when it looks nothing at all like lather. Then I move to the bowl (you could use your face, if you prefer). I work the lather in the bowl, adding water literally 3-6 drops at a time, incorporating it fully before adding more. Once the lather looks really, really good, work it for about another minute, with or without the addition of a bit more water. You will end up with that thick, rich, shiny, unctuous lather that you crave. And it will be slick and shave great. And you won't burn through your soaps in a month, either.

So, gentlemen, "work it like you've got all day."

Your second method sounds pretty close to how I lather Williams and Mystic Water, and pretty much the recommended technique from back in the day. But with the advent of easier loading and easier lathering soaps, many have gone away from that technique.

the previous method, is kinda what I have shifted to with all of my soaps, because I want to burn through them. Otherwise, I’ll never use up what I have, and couldn’t justify buying more.

there are so many different techniques out there. Folks tend to settle on one or two, but those usually don’t work across the board an all soaps. Your second method is as close to a universal method as I have ever come across.

its always good to have multiple techniques in your toolbox!

Randal your second method is very similar to the SV (Saponificio Varesino) method.
The main difference is SV recommends to bloom the soap 1st with a thin veil of water. Then dump the bloom water on the brush or into your bowl/mug/scuttle and work the lather adding water drops as needed.

Randall, I use a method very close to yours. I think my tub of Stirling is only about 2/3 done and I have over 50 (I would guess closer to 80) shaves on it easy. Plus, I sent a good sized sample of it to someone.

This is very close to how I build my lather as well. After soaking the brush, I squeeze it out and give it a couple of very vigorous shakes. I bloom my soaps with a very thin layer. Whatever does not get absorbed by the soap gets dumped into my lather bowl. I load the soap from there, aiming for a paste rather than a "lather". Then it gets taken either to the bowl (most days) or face lathered.

This "work it like you got all day" method seems to be the only way I can get consistently good lather from one of my soaps. I have tried a bunch of things but never ended up with a perfect lather. Finally the person that gave me the soap told me that it prefers badger (which I have only one) and after fully loaded, I need to add water by the drops. I swear, it really did feel like all day, but I did get rewarded with a great lather.

Good to know about the Merkur Man method as, like Spider, I need to get through all the soaps I have now so I can get on to getting more!

I accidentally stumbled into this method by trial and error, and taking bits of advice from different people and throwing it all together.

I also bloom the soap with a thin layer of water and will dump that into my brush before loading it. And I stop loading once I notice a small amount of lather beginning on the brush. Then I finish lathering directly on the face, adding water as needed a few drops at a time.

I still haven’t been able to nail down the right amount of water to add every time, but I get a good lather more often than I don't.

Something that helps me is to load very slowly, like maybe 1-1.5 seconds per swirl of the brush around the puck for 10-30 seconds depending. This way, as mentioned, little to no lather is made on the puck and the brush seems to pick up a generous amount of soap. I work everything on the face though.

Chris,

I tried that Merkur Man technique on two of my soaps that were taking too long to reach bottom. Great idea! Not only did it build tons of very rich lather, but those two soaps noticeably got smaller. Maybe I can actually make a dent in my collection of soaps that I haven't gotten to yet.

Oh yeah, the "work like you got all day" method works great for my soaps that I want to keep around for a while.

A good rule of thumb as with what has been stated is to look for the reflection in the soap as you are building adding water and the lack or any air bubbles. It should reflect some light, and finish with paintbrush strokes t build and a dip of water as the final paintbrush stroke, perfect lather every time, every soap. I face lather all but most creams and here are my steps

Pass One
[list type=decimal][*]Soak Brush[*]teaspoon of so on soap[*]wring our brush till just damp[*]pour the water in the brush[*]Load Brush till a paste sticky like later[*]hand massage a bit of that concentrated lather into faced so sebaceous glands will release oils to help lubricate, and mix with later[*]Hot Towel[*]Face lather working lather onto face ( exfoliation step) and adding some water by dipping tips of brush into soak water ( looking for reflection)[*]Final paint brush Strokes with a drip of water[*]Shave ( WTG )[/list type=decimal]
Pass Two
[list type=decimal][*]Rinse Face[*]Paint brush strokes only[*]Shave ( XTG )[/list type=decimal]
Pass Three
[list type=decimal][*]Another exfoliation deep lather[*]Paint brush stroked[*]add a bit of water[*]Shave ( ATG )[/list type=decimal]

Back