The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

New Soap Base from Barrister and Mann

I'm going to say it's not worth it just because I don't want to feel like I need to buy it ?

It sounds like they are going to create confusion and too many choices unless they are going to limit their line to two bases.

I'm going to say it's not worth it just because I don't want to feel like I need to buy it
1f609.png

It sounds like they are going to create confusion and too many choices unless they are going to limit their line to two bases.
Agreed. They have too many bases right now.

Well there was white label, Latha, reserve, glissant, and now excelsior. (am I missing any?)

I haven't tried reserve yet though.

Well, the have done away with Latha. And what used to be White Label is now Glissant so they only currently have 2 bases: Glissant and Reserve. Adding Excelsior makes 3 total bases. I don't think that's too many.

I miss the Latha scents! I own the whole line and love each scent! I can't say that about all the other bases and scent combos.

I don't see the point in more that 2 bases. One that's less expensive and one that's the best they can make. What's the point of anything in between?

I don't see the point in more that 2 bases. One that's less expensive and one that's the best they can make. What's the point of anything in between?

I get that, and maybe they will transition that way in the future. They seem to be evolving. They don't just keep adding to the inventory, since they have eliminated some previous bases.

Devils Advocate..... CBL has 4 different bases!

Now don't get me started on RazoRock and the number of different soap bases they have......

I get that, and maybe they will transition that way in the future. They seem to be evolving. They don't just keep adding to the inventory, since they have eliminated some previous bases.

Devils Advocate..... CBL has 4 different bases!

Now don't get me started on RazoRock and the number of different soap bases they have......

All of razorock soaps are currently being released in the Argan formula EXCEPT for the limited/special releases such as The Dead Sea for example.

I'm not sure how I feel about all the different formulas, this could be a good topic of discussion for awhile I think. Not just limited to B&M but in general.

I read the article that Will wrote, and my take away is that the excelsior is going to be replacing the Glissant base and as a compliment to the reserve line. Could be wrong in that, of course. But the next year of releases will be the proof in the puddin.

Oh...not sure it's going to be "worth it", but I'll try a tub of it. After I get a tub of the reserve line....I'm still waiting for him to release LGC, Cheshire, or Seville in the Reserve. (already did Seville in Reserve and I missed out)

I guess I am just a bit confused because of all the names that Will was throwing around. The article in the original post mentions:
The original "white label" base, the Tre Citta vegan base, the Black Label base, the Glissant base, and the Barrister's Reserve base. Which one of those was Latha? Was Latha even mentioned?

I am not sure if this is better or worse than calling it the 1.0 base, 2.0 base, and so on. I guess, since I am primarily an Engineer, using version numbers make more sense to me than brand naming soap bases.

So, if I am to understand this correctly right now there is just Glissant and Reserve. In a few months there will just be Excelsior and Reserve? If that is the case, then this isn't too bad. He does seem to reformulate quite often, however. Is he on his fifth or sixth in the "5+" years that he has been in business?

Also, and this is a nit and a pet peeve. Talking about it being "top secret" and only "two people on Earth" knowing about it just comes off as pretentious, as if no one else on earth would think to keep a new recipe to themselves until perfected.

But, maybe I am being too hard on him.

I’ve never gotten into the B&M soaps (or Razorock) but I have tried a few. I applaud Will for taking a purposeful approach, making what he thinks is the best he can make. Based on his ingredients list and explanation I get the impression this is his opus. I look forward to hearing what you guys think of his new stuff.

I'm late to the party here, but I absolutely love the Reserve base & I think Will is doing an amazing job from quality of soaps & AS to packaging to presentation to waterproof labels to a whole overall fantastic experience. Not to mention the prices for some of the soaps like Reserve are 17.99!

I'm looking forward to the newest Excelsior base which combines the best aspects of each former base & makes improvements where there were shortcomings. This shows Will's growth as an artisan & in my opinion it's getting better & better! Also I agree with much of what KJ has pointed out too.

I never used the reserve soap base. Their reserve aftershave was very nice though.

I like that Will is constantly trying to improve his product. The Reserve base is excellent, and I was curious enough about the new one to order a tub of it from Maggards the other day, though I'm not sure the scent will be in my wheelhouse. USPS tracking shows the package as having been delivered yesterday, but it was not in the mailbox. So here comes the fun of trying to deal with USPS lol.

The Glissant base are excellent performers as I have 3 tubs of it. Seville, Le Grand Chypre & Cologne Russe. In the Reserve I only have one that I acquired recently in Seville also. I prefer the Reserve base by a hair over the Glissant base. That’s nit picking though as they are both excellent......

Back