The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

New member / old hillbilly shaver

wristwatchb

Shave Member
Hello everyone.

My name is Charlie, and I have enjoyed traditional wet shaving since 2012. My dad used a Gillette DE many years ago, and that initially sparked my interest. Prior to that, I wore out several electric razors over three decades. I have a fairly simple rotation of gear I enjoy using (DE's, SE's, & shavettes) because it all works for me, and in many cases, because of the memories associated with the various items.

I have moved past the hunter-gatherer phase of the hobby and now just enjoy a relaxing morning shave. I'm mostly a daily shaver because Santa Claus is not welcome in my home until Christmas. I also enjoy helping new folks get started in the hobby by PIFing gear and providing directions to the rabbit hole.

This morning, I used a Z3 Gillette Flare Tip loaded with a new GSB blade and a brush made by a Canadian brother with a Figured Maple handle and an APShaveCo tuxedo bulb knot. (I had a heck of a time defunking that brush. The knot was OK, but the handle smelled of Maple Syrup, Tim Hortons coffee, chainsaw oil, flannel and Crown Royal for the longest time. :)) I'm currently on a four-soap rotation. Today's choice was Stirling Executive Man, and my after shave was Alt-Innsbruck. I even gave my chest a couple of manly shots of Aramis. Who knows if all those frags go together, but they smelled OK to this hillbilly. I am not troubled by flying insects, that's for sure.

Today's shave was one pass with a few touch-ups. I'm currently spending more time on face prep and lathering than shaving, and the results so far have been great.

As you can probably tell, I also like watches. I fat-fingered my username on a watch forum many years ago, and I decided to stay with it. It keeps people wondering, and I'm OK with that. I also like to cut up and have fun. "danger" was my assigned middle name on another forum, but I have since started using Tabac and turned my life around.

I have learned a lot from fellow traditional shavers (there is always something new to learn in my world), and I have made some lifelong friends along the way. I look forward to getting to know you all. Thanks for having me.

I had a heck of a time defunking that brush. The knot was OK, but the handle smelled of Maple Syrup, Tim Hortons coffee, chainsaw oil, flannel and Crown Royal for the longest time. :)
Well that seems like a good smell profile overall, what was the problem? :ROFLMAO:😋

Welcome aboard and enjoy the merry band of shavers you'll find here.

Welcome to the Cadre. There are lots of great topics other than wet shaving discussed here so be sure to look around and find all the goodies, but to get you started we have an active thread on wrist watches where folks post new acquisitions and what they are wearing today --- TSC Watch List

The knot was OK, but the handle smelled of Maple Syrup, Tim Hortons coffee, chainsaw oil, flannel and Crown Royal for the longest time.
Maybe @CBLindsay can create a soap with those scent notes 😂 😂 😂

Welcome. Sounds like you share similar interests with several of our regulars. We have a few watch guys here too, I’m sure they will steer you toward the watch threads soon enough

Welcome to the Cadre. There are lots of great topics other than wet shaving discussed here so be sure to look around and find all the goodies, but to get you started we have an active thread on wrist watches where folks post new acquisitions and what they are wearing today --- TSC Watch List

Maybe @CBLindsay can create a soap with those scent notes 😂 😂 😂
I WAS reading that scent journey with a little extra interest…it sounds interesting for sure.

Welcome Charlie! Glad you could join in.

Any heavy favorites in software or hardware amongst the den?

@wristwatchb Charlie!
WELCOME!

I think I remember seeing you around on another forum at one point, but its been a long time! There's a lot of great guys concentrated into this site, we are glad to have you here! Stirling Executive Man is a great scent!

I hope to see you around!

Matt

Welcome Charlie! Glad you could join in.

Any heavy favorites in software or hardware amongst the den?
Thanks Chris.

My tastes are pretty simple. My favorite razor is a Gillette NEW Long Comb loaded with a Voskhod blade. My favorite soaps include Tabac or Mike's Hungarian Lavender, and my favorite cream is TOBS Sandalwood. My favorite aftershave is Alt-Innsbruck.

My favorite brush was made by a good friend. It has an 80 mm Bolivian Rosewood/inlaid Celtic Cross handle, an inlaid Cross medallion in the base, and a 26 mm Maggard's SHD two-band fan knot. I'm also a fan of my brushes with Omega boar knots, especially the one with the Louisville Slugger bat wood handle that was made by the same friend.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Charlie!!!!!!

The shananigator extraordinaire!

Maybe we could get you to start up a Datsun pickup user group thread. I’m sure other like minded brethren would be interested in solutions to the ventilated floorboards.

Hope you and Kathy are doing well.

Charlie!!!!!!

The shananigator extraordinaire!

Maybe we could get you to start up a Datsun pickup user group thread. I’m sure other like minded brethren would be interested in solutions to the ventilated floorboards.

Hope you and Kathy are doing well.
Bill, we meet again! (y)

All is well in my neck 'o the woods. Likewise, I hope all is good with you and your health.

Remember, everything that happened in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Or not. :ROFLMAO:

Bill, we meet again! (y)

All is well in my neck 'o the woods. Likewise, I hope all is good with you and your health.

Remember, everything that happened in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Or not. :ROFLMAO:
You didn’t say you drove the aerated floorboard Datsun P/U to Vagas.

And, my lips are sealed about cherry-bombing the commode and nailing it on your best bud incident. You have my solemn oath for sure on that one. As blood brothers of Kentucksylvania, no one will ever find out.

Back