The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

New life for an old brush.

That's great. Is that actual twine that is part of the brush structure, or is it 'just' carved/textured wood or plastic?
That is actual twine. It looks like the original knot was placed in with minimal glue, the top of the handle has slits in the wood, and when wrapped with twine it closes in on the knot like a collet. I didn't unwrap that though, I just glued in a knot like I would any other handle.

10b92d6da16265a2e29792d413ecea8b (1).jpg

100_2854.JPG

100_2859.JPG

That’s pretty cool. Wonder how well the collet worked long term...I could see a fumbly shaver like me totally screw it up with ease 🤔 😂

That’s pretty cool. Wonder how well the collet worked long term...I could see a fumbly shaver like me totally screw it up with ease 🤔 😂
I had to drill it and take it out in pieces, I'd say it held together pretty well for a brush that's 100 years old, give or take 20 years. (y)

Fantastic work. I'm shocked (SHOCKED, I say) that the twine survived to get to your hands, and you were able to retain it.
Me too, I've seen several on the bay that were falling apart, but I waited for one that looked like it would survive the re-knot and then actual use, as I do intend to use it.

Thank you for the kind words. (y)

Back