The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

New Adjustable by Blackland.... The Osprey.

OSPREY FIRST USE REVIEW BY A RELATIVE NEWBIE
Today was my first shave using the Osprey. I must admit I was really looking forward to it. I have previously given my initial visual review of the Osprey when it was received. This will be the shaving experience.
Shane recommended that if you use the Blackbird, a setting 6 is a good starting point. I was a chicken, so I used around 5.5. The other items is used were a new CaYuen brush (wonderful tool), pre wash with PAA Cube, the CaYuen domino bowl and a brand new unknown razor blade that I have had the honor to test. I can't divulge the name, but, I can say it is every bit as sharp as the Feather and much smoother. This was its 2nd use. The soap was SV Opuntia and the A&E Spartacus as an after shave with alum block and witch hazel. The star of the show was the Osprey. Loading the blade is easy and setting the initial number on the wheel is also simple.
With the first stroke, I was amazed at how smooth the razor and the blade were. The weight of the razor was perfect, with the brass insert. The design of the handle was perfect for holding even with wet sudsy hands. I kept the setting at 5 through out the 3 pass shave. I had 2 days of growth, not terribly heavy or coarse, just normal stubble. The razor went through the first pass with such efficiency that all the hair was nearly gone. Looking back, I probably should have done only a WTG AND ATG passes and that would have been enough. 3 passes and I did need to do some buffing. This experience indicated to me to increase the setting next time to 6 or 6.5. I stayed on setting 5 all 3 passes and buffing.
This is embarrassing, but I just stopped to feel my face. So smooth, I love it.

So, my inexperienced, non professional opinion. I leave that to @Glazeboker, snd others far more experience and mechanically knowledgable than I.
The Razor is beautiful, well balanced and a wonderful shaving machine. It is easy to use and clean. Numbers on the wheel, already beat to death in other posts. I shave with my glasses on, if I didn't, I wouldn't see the razor let alone the numbers. With glasses on, the numbers are visible and not an issue.
I am not going into gap measurements or blade exposure comparisons, I am not qualified to do so. But I will say this. After only one shave, I can say that the Osprey is a winner and a potential GRAIL candidate.
PROVISO, THIS WAS ONLY MY FIRST SHAVE WITH IT. Need more experience with it. So for those of you considering this tool, I do recommend it, especially with the 30 day return policy that Blackland has. That policy shows me that they have a great deal of pride and confidence in their products, as well they should.
MY SHAVE? BBS+

Very good read and congrats on your Osprey acquisition. (y)

Back with the Osprey set to #7 and oh so nice! A comfortable yet very satisfying shave that was done in 2.5 passes. BBS finish everywhere except for a couple of stragglers left & right of the Adam’s Apple area. Didn’t feel like chasing them this afternoon so called it quits right there and then. I left the setting alone and finished it at #7 with no disturbance of any kind on the skin and just 2 tiny weepers on the chin that were gone with a cold water splash & alum pass. Great suds from the Ethos Rosa that gave great protection, glide and residual slickness galore. The Osprey just hummed along over the lather with silky smooth action. I’m going to run the Osprey the rest of the month and try a few blades in it just to see what works and what doesn’t.

Really a lovely shave. Great shaves to all…

807EEE85-FC06-4DA9-8BC0-F3EEE788173A.jpeg

The Osprey continues to impress finally found that 5.5 works the best for my face with the Personna. Easy to clean, easy to adjust. A winner all the way around. Added a bras coloring to the numbers to give a subtle match to the brass insert as well

91F9B00F-597A-4F67-99FA-D12E6BB282E4.jpeg

Sunday morning is a moment or day that represents to me the pinnacle for a potential sublime shave. First, I give thanks to The Almighty. Next, I hit my brewer for a steaming hot cup of coffee that is to come. Then, I gather my gear for the shave that’s about to begin. A quick hot shower, dry up and then pour myself a cup of that fabulous eye opening black elixir as I trudge back to my shave den. I get down to business and proceed to scoop out some soap, grab the brush to build a luscious lather and promptly paint it on my mug. For a moment I take in all the scents & aromas that swirl around in my den, appreciating every single note and nuance that it all brings about. I like simplicity and though shaving can be tedious or complex for some, I find it straightforward, routinely basic and a personal indulgence that I never will tire of. Simple. Men in general don’t need much to be content. Put the steel to skin and just proceeded to remove whiskers stroke after stroke. WTG, ATG & XTG passes were executed to near perfection. The Osprey with the same Feather and from yesterday performed marvelously as I set it at #6.5 or thereabouts for all 3 passes. No buffing, no pick ups were needed once I laid down the Osprey on my bathroom sink. Not a single weeper, not a nic nor an inkling of irritation to be felt or seen. Calm, smooth and buttery soft skin was all that was left in my hands to behold. An alum pass, cold water rinse and a quick splash of the after shave to seal the deal. Grabbed my almost empty cup of wake up potion and poured myself another.

A fabulous sunrise, the perfect shave and a good cup of coffee. I want nor need anything more. Well, maybe bacon & scrambled eggs with some sliced avocado wedges to get the taste buds going. Did I mention that it’s NFL Sunday, too?

Great shaves to all….

249C0CBB-B0D0-4568-8372-16A0E5EBE592.jpeg

Sunday morning is a moment or day that represents to me the pinnacle for a potential sublime shave. First, I give thanks to The Almighty. Next, I hit my brewer for a steaming hot cup of coffee that is to come. Then, I gather my gear for the shave that’s about to begin. A quick hot shower, dry up and then pour myself a cup of that fabulous eye opening black elixir as I trudge back to my shave den. I get down to business and proceed to scoop out some soap, grab the brush to build a luscious lather and promptly paint it on my mug. For a moment I take in all the scents & aromas that swirl around in my den, appreciating every single note and nuance that it all brings about. I like simplicity and though shaving can be tedious or complex for some, I find it straightforward, routinely basic and a personal indulgence that I never will tire of. Simple. Men in general don’t need much to be content. Put the steel to skin and just proceeded to remove whiskers stroke after stroke. WTG, ATG & XTG passes were executed to near perfection. The Osprey with the same Feather and from yesterday performed marvelously as I set it at #6.5 or thereabouts for all 3 passes. No buffing, no pick ups were needed once I laid down the Osprey on my bathroom sink. Not a single weeper, not a nic nor an inkling of irritation to be felt or seen. Calm, smooth and buttery soft skin was all that was left in my hands to behold. An alum pass, cold water rinse and a quick splash of the after shave to seal the deal. Grabbed my almost empty cup of wake up potion and poured myself another.

A fabulous sunrise, the perfect shave and a good cup of coffee. I want nor need anything more. Well, maybe bacon & scrambled eggs with some sliced avocado wedges to get the taste buds going. Did I mention that it’s NFL Sunday, too?

Great shaves to all….

View attachment 122250
A wonderful start to the day

Hope everyone had a wonderful Turkey Day with good eats, goods drinks and great laughs but, most importantly we were all grateful to have what we have to share with those we love and love most.

An update with my Blackland Osprey on this cold & crisp Saturday morning. Went with the normal set up that has worked with consistent effectiveness from shave to shave and that has been starting it at about #7. Worked my way down to #5 for a near flawless shave. I say near flawless as I did give myself a couple of weepers with a fresh Feather blade that brings the Osprey to a more acute level of cutting ability. And if one thinks or acts like they have an Astra SP or similar blade in it like I did, the Feather will remind you that it’s not one of those blades. No irritation or discomfort which is always welcome and as some of you may know and have used a Feather blade, it does get smoother after that initial shave. Well, at least for me it does. I’m still tinkering with different blades but, so far the Gillette Minora’s have been the best in providing excellent smoothness with a combined sharpness that works for my shaves. Granted that I’ve only used 3 different blades but, I’ll get a few more in just to settle on 3 blades that will work best in the Osprey.

Great shaves to all…

EC213D67-C9AC-4369-8574-E5BAA9DD5CA7.jpeg

I have been sticking with the Personnas, but the razor is flawless IMHO What are your thoughts on the other blades? be interested to hear

11.24.2023.JPEG

@BarberDave Was the red color in the adjustable numbers not consistent?

View attachment 122545
Yes after a bit I did not like it so I got some bronze and just lightly placed it in there and it matches and works good. I know they are working on a solution with the second run to make the Numbers more visible, and hopefully they will offer the head only as a replacement, but if not works fine

Yes after a bit I did not like it so I got some bronze and just lightly placed it in there and it matches and works good. I know they are working on a solution with the second run to make the Numbers more visible, and hopefully they will offer the head only as a replacement, but if not works fine
Thanks for the explanation

Hope everyone had a wonderful Turkey Day with good eats, goods drinks and great laughs but, most importantly we were all grateful to have what we have to share with those we love and love most.

An update with my Blackland Osprey on this cold & crisp Saturday morning. Went with the normal set up that has worked with consistent effectiveness from shave to shave and that has been starting it at about #7. Worked my way down to #5 for a near flawless shave. I say near flawless as I did give myself a couple of weepers with a fresh Feather blade that brings the Osprey to a more acute level of cutting ability. And if one thinks or acts like they have an Astra SP or similar blade in it like I did, the Feather will remind you that it’s not one of those blades. No irritation or discomfort which is always welcome and as some of you may know and have used a Feather blade, it does get smoother after that initial shave. Well, at least for me it does. I’m still tinkering with different blades but, so far the Gillette Minora’s have been the best in providing excellent smoothness with a combined sharpness that works for my shaves. Granted that I’ve only used 3 different blades but, I’ll get a few more in just to settle on 3 blades that will work best in the Osprey.

Great shaves to all…

View attachment 122534
Which version of Minora are you using? I always thought it was the best blade I've tired, pink box iirc, but so hard to find and pricey that I never went for more at the time.

For those of who who desire the flexibility and variability of an adjustable, the Osprey sure appears to be innovative and superbly constructed,... but for me, my "standard" Blackland Blackbird (in polished stainless steel) is a good as it gets and I have absolutely no need for any other "settings" than the ONE it was designed with.
PEACE!

I’ve had a couple of shaves with the Osprey this week with a KAI blade installed for 2 of them. Very nice blade feel that actually allows me to dial it up or down depending on how much of that feel I’m looking for. In general, it allows me to bring it down a 1/2 to full gap setting as it is a slightly wider blade edge to edge. I still do like the Gillette Minora in the Osprey as it just feels comfortably smoother with the Feather perhaps just ahead of the KAI in overall effectiveness. Still, if one wants a bit more feel and potential cutting ability the KAI is a very good viable option in the Osprey.

Great shaves to all…
9B591C64-E9BA-4218-A98C-BC95A5799384.jpeg

Back