The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Need a new brush..

Jaro1069

TSC's Cheerleader
Veteran
Ok hello all. Well my rex brush with the kabuki knot started shedding in clumps and need to get another brush quickly but need to be very low cost because the twins 5th bday has me broke right now. Would prefer synthetic and at least 22 or 24 mm but open to other types and sizes...also cant wait to order from china because my brush wont survive that long. Thanks....i guess i could re-knot but dont think my brush will survive the wait to re-knot.....again thanks for any advise / help....

You will have wait time for shipping no matter what route you take and I just set a knot for my dad and overnight, it'll be good to go the next day. Get one from Maggards in 2-3 days for like $10
yes but what i was saying about wait times was that the current brush wouldnt last for long enough to order from china....

Maggards ships from Michigan........
Maggards ships VERY quickly, I have never waited very long for anything I have ordered from them. If shipping is an issue many local Target stores have some sort of shaving brush in their shaving isle for about $20, not necessarily the best value for the dollar but I don't think the brush is bad. I got my son a Cremo shave set for $7 (sale or clearance) and the brush included is still going.

I would like to reiterate what @CBLindsay said about the Stirling Brushes. I am using both their synthetic and their best badger. For about $32 - $35 dollars, their best badger brushes are an incredible value! They shave bigger than their size (at least in the fan) and the quality is top notch! Their synthetic brush is one of the first I reach for. Love their shapes and they are only about $15.

That being said...the for about the same price...and in some cases a little less...the synthetic brushes at Maggards, Italian Barber, WCS, Groomatorium, etc...are all really good brushes too...and on the cheap!

I would like to reiterate what @CBLindsay said about the Stirling Brushes. I am using both their synthetic and their best badger. For about $32 - $35 dollars, their best badger brushes are an incredible value! They shave bigger than their size (at least in the fan) and the quality is top notch! Their synthetic brush is one of the first I reach for. Love their shapes and they are only about $15.

That being said...the for about the same price...and in some cases a little less...the synthetic brushes at Maggards, Italian Barber, WCS, Groomatorium, etc...are all really good brushes too...and on the cheap!
Funny thing is, I have never used the Stirling synthetic myself I only give it as a gift (I've given dozens), I prefer the stirling boar. The Stirling boar has been my goto boar brush, nothing beats it. I have so many badger brushes I have not felt the need to get another badger from Stirling but wouldn't hesitate to recommend anyone trying one from @joehacket because I know he provides a solid product at a great value. As you pointed out, Maggards and Groomatorium are great options too. I have not purchased much from WCS or Italian Barber but the community sure does embrace them so that says a lot. When it comes to people new guys getting their first "big boy" badger brush I used to say whipped dog was the guy but now there are a lot of other safe options. Larry was always very careful to offer personal service and when I bought my first couple badger brushes I leaned heavy on his opinion and input to get the best one. I can't image he still offers such personal touch but i tell you i appreciate it. There was a time that he was one of the few reliable places to get a quality, mid-range cost badger brush. Now, a few of a our better (and more dedicated) soap makers offer some fantastic stuff. ...Larry is still a good place to go for straight razors and honing even if you don't need his brushes.

I bought my last boar knot from Larry and he emailed me before he sent it off to ask if I was sure about the size. There was mention of the glue bump potentially being a little larger than 24mm and could've caused problems. As a novice at placing knots, I value that exchange and it's something I consider every time I try installing a knot in a handle. Based on that experience I'll be getting at least a couple more boar knots from him.

I bought my last boar knot from Larry and he emailed me before he sent it off to ask if I was sure about the size. There was mention of the glue bump potentially being a little larger than 24mm and could've caused problems. As a novice at placing knots, I value that exchange and it's something I consider every time I try installing a knot in a handle. Based on that experience I'll be getting at least a couple more boar knots from him.
I met a guy on another forum who is blind and he was lookin to get his first nice badger brush and wanted my help finding/choosing one. I steered him to Larry and all three of us communicated via email and text about the particulars involved. You wouldn't being blind would add anything unique to the selection process (Larry hadn't thought it would) but it added two unique concerns that Larry was fast to acknowledge and he was careful to consider. Like most who approach Larry for their first "premium" brush my friend wanted to buy one brush that had the characteristics of all the different types of knots. Being new to wet shaving he needs a brush that was firm enough to make loading and face lathering as easy as possible. Since he was blind his skin was quite a bit more sensitive, too scritchy and he wouldn't feel comfortable using it but too soft and it wouldn't face lather. He needed the handle to be such that it was easy to identify, easy to hold and could stand on the sink or be leaned on the side of the scuttled (which he was learning to use). Larry helped him pick the right knot, the depth to set it, the handle and the size. I think he ended up with a 24mm High Mountain White, set at 10mm in black goblet handle. Larry was not entirely sure he should be using the HMW but felt the extra depth would help. He used that brush for a long time and has since found a Simpson brush that he loves (much bigger all around and a step up in over all knot quality).

I have 2 from Larry, one in a Firehouse pottery handle. I had one knot that was a horrible shedding mess and he totally stepped up to fix the issue. Not only did he make me whole, he remembered the issue when I returned for me second purchase and gave me a discount on that purchase (that I was unaware I was going to get). Larry is absolutely a stand up guy and as long as he is selling brushes I will always trust him as a place to refer business. Since you have recently done business with him perhaps you can do a quick review thread to share your experience

I met a guy on another forum who is blind and he was lookin to get his first nice badger brush and wanted my help finding/choosing one. I steered him to Larry and all three of us communicated via email and text about the particulars involved. You wouldn't being blind would add anything unique to the selection process (Larry hadn't thought it would) but it added two unique concerns that Larry was fast to acknowledge and he was careful to consider. Like most who approach Larry for their first "premium" brush my friend wanted to buy one brush that had the characteristics of all the different types of knots. Being new to wet shaving he needs a brush that was firm enough to make loading and face lathering as easy as possible. Since he was blind his skin was quite a bit more sensitive, too scritchy and he wouldn't feel comfortable using it but too soft and it wouldn't face lather. He needed the handle to be such that it was easy to identify, easy to hold and could stand on the sink or be leaned on the side of the scuttled (which he was learning to use). Larry helped him pick the right knot, the depth to set it, the handle and the size. I think he ended up with a 24mm High Mountain White, set at 10mm in black goblet handle. Larry was not entirely sure he should be using the HMW but felt the extra depth would help. He used that brush for a long time and has since found a Simpson brush that he loves (much bigger all around and a step up in over all knot quality).

I have 2 from Larry, one in a Firehouse pottery handle. I had one knot that was a horrible shedding mess and he totally stepped up to fix the issue. Not only did he make me whole, he remembered the issue when I returned for me second purchase and gave me a discount on that purchase (that I was unaware I was going to get). Larry is absolutely a stand up guy and as long as he is selling brushes I will always trust him as a place to refer business. Since you have recently done business with him perhaps you can do a quick review thread to share your experience
I'll get another knot to set and go from there in a Whipped Dog review thread. It's been about a year since I bought the first knot. I doubt that anything about his kindness had changed, but I really just want to buy a 30mm boar to put in a handle that's been sitting for a while.

Back