The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Need a little help here guys!

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
So a guy at work has expressed some interest in possibly trying out wet shaving with a DE. He is a nice guy and I thought I would get him started with a basic setup. I have an old Super Speed I was going to clean up and give him. But he is a little bit of a germaphobic. Anyway, I don't want to break the bank on this guy...so I was thinking about one of these razors from RozoRock. I don't have experience with any of them...so I was hoping one of you fine gents or ladies could help me out. He was going to buy a Van Der Hagen from Walmart...but I told him that I would hook him up with something a little better. Check out the links below and tell me what you all think!

The DE1
https://www.italianbarber.com/collections/safety-razors/products/razorock-de-1-safety-razor

The Quick Change
https://www.italianbarber.com/collections/safety-razors/products/razorock-quick-change-de-safety-razor

The RozoRock Tech II
https://www.italianbarber.com/collections/safety-razors/products/razorock-teck-ii-safety-razor

I am open to other suggestions as well. I am willing to spend a little more...but not much. Thanks guys!

No experience but have good things about the tech II. Not sure if a good beginner one but would think so and good for him going forward as gets more experience.

I have a razor that is almost identical to the tech II. Very good shaver and mild for the most part.

The Teck II has gone up $2 since I got mine, but it's still a great deal at that price. Actually it is pretty much what it is cloning, it shaves just like a Tech. Mild and smooth.
The quality is very good considering what you pay. I was a little worried about the smooth finish on the handle, but the way it is shaped it still allows for a good hold on it even with wet hands. It also adds a little weight, but since the head is just like a Tech, the weight is in your hand, so no balancing acts from a heavy head.

I haven't tried either of the other two, but I would say you couldn't go wrong with the Teck.

Both the Teck II and Quick Change are great beginner razors.

The Teck II is about as mild as you can get, the design being an “improved” Tech clone. They require a bit of patience and practice as they have a very specific angle needed to get to BBS. It is a rebranded Baili.

The QC is a Super Speed clone by Baili, pretty much the same thing as the Van Der Hagen. It is also fairly mild, though not as much as the Teck II. It has a wider cutting angle, though does have the more bulbous head to deal with.

They can both be had for cheaper from other sites, but perhaps you just might want to stick with IB for their customer service anyway.

With a cheap RR synth and a decent soap, he’ll be in his way.

Don we carry all of them at the shop and they are great for the price and a good deal overall, would recommend any of those without hesitation

The DE1 and Teck II have the same head, just a different handle. Personally I found the torpedo handle of the Teck II a little hard to handle. Shave wise, they are a very close clone of the later version Gillette Tech. Very mild, yet very efficient once you get a good technique going and so I would recommend the DE1 over the Teck II. The Quick Change I hear good things about, but I never shaved with it as I got rid of all my TTO razors a while back.

Don we carry all of them at the shop and they are great for the price and a good deal overall, would recommend any of those without hesitation

Thanks Dave! I appreciate it.
The DE1 and Teck II have the same head, just a different handle. Personally I found the torpedo handle of the Teck II a little hard to handle. Shave wise, they are a very close clone of the later version Gillette Tech. Very mild, yet very efficient once you get a good technique going and so I would recommend the DE1 over the Teck II. The Quick Change I hear good things about, but I never shaved with it as I got rid of all my TTO razors a while back.

Good Info Les!

If I were you, I would get him the Quick Change razor as it will facilitate the blade changes which will reduce the likelihood of him accidentally cutting himself with the blades. Nonetheless, any of the razors would be just fine.
Good luck and good on you for doing this for him.

If I were you, I would get him the Quick Change razor as it will facilitate the blade changes which will reduce the likelihood of him accidentally cutting himself with the blades. Nonetheless, any of the razors would be just fine.
Good luck and good on you for doing this for him.

I actually went ahead and picked up the quick change! I tell you what...had I known that RR had "quality" entry level razors (I guess that isn't right...I'm not sure any razor is really entry level...but you guys know what I mean) I might have been stock piling these as I go. Three different razors for under a sawbuck...how can that be bad!

Back