The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Natterings of a Nasal Barbarian

jgreenepa

TSC's "Velveteen Shaver"
I really enjoy this forum, but must confess that my main hangout is at TSD (The Shave Den) where one of the main threads is the 30DC, which apparently has been running nonstop since 2015. The focus of the thread is educational (30 Day Concentration) where initially newcomers are directed to stick with one razor, one brush, one soap etc for 30 days straight. I tell you this in order to explain the title of this thread. There’s a core group of us, just as there is here, that spend every day documenting our shaves, and also helping newcomers to learn the hobby. It’s a wonderfully supportive core group, and one of the things that occurs after one has been there participating and eventually helping others into the hobby is the award of what is termed a CT (Custom Title) that appears under one’s handle in place of the automatically generated ones you see on most of the forums. Mine as you probably guessed is the ‘Nasal Barbarian’, awarded me based on my total lack of scent sophistication. My response to many of my friends’ detailed scent descriptions was usually something along the lines of “me likee”, “smells good!”, unlike their “notes of patchouli, oranges, bergamot etc”, thus my CT.

In my defense, my SWMBO has a severe fragrance allergy which can actually evolve into a migraine when exposed to any fragrance. This SWMBO is my second wife, and I adore her! She is the best person I know, and consequently most of my AS’s and soaps have rapidly dissipating scents or are scentless. We met at church, after having lost our respective long term spouses on the same day, one month apart in 2012. She lost her Don on November 6, 2012 and I lost my Anita on December 6, 2012. She lost her spouse to cancer as did I. Cancer brought us together, in more ways than one. Both Lauren and me are cancer survivors. We initially never intended to marry, but as time passed we began to really enjoy each other’s company, and married, 4 yrs after meeting. So we’ve been together 8 yrs, but married for 4.

I always kept things simple and frugal in the shaving arena for most of my life. I bought a Schick Krona for $1.49 in 1969 and used it continuously for 50 years until it finally broke in August 2019. I’d been collecting other razors and lurking at various shave fora, but finally began to formally join them this last year. I will now post my shave descriptions here, and my pics in the SOTD thread.

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing a part of your life with us. I love hearing about the lives of Cadre Members. Your story is a sad one and a happy one. Just always know that you are part of our little family here at TSC!

Very nice post! I look forward to reading more of your journal entries. Also, I am the same way when it comes to scents. I use words like strong, fresh, very nice, etc. I leave the more detailed descriptions to others who can point specifics out, then I just agree. I'm very sorry about your first wife, but I am glad that you found someone that makes you happy. I got married back in July and I admit that life is more enjoyable when you have someone to spend it with.

ABE9BD76-D69F-4B11-8675-EF47606123E7.jpeg8349433D-181C-459B-9CA5-B7656FBCB736.jpeg
SOTD 02/01/20

Welcome to Mitchell’s Wool Fat February. This month I’ll be using my favorite shaving soap for every shave. I’ll be kicking off with my FrankenFamex which consists of a French Famex Cage baseplate, a Rockwell Gunmetal cap, and an ATT Atlas handle coupled with one of my remaining original Polish Wizamet Super Iridium blades. The Famex is a cage head razor which is adjustable. The tighter one compresses the Cage baseplate by tightening the handle, the milder the shave. For all my shaves, I’ll be lightly connecting the handle to the baseplate as I prefer an efficient shaver.

After my shower, I began my shave with a cold water rinse and then scrubbed both face and head with the PAA’s Menthol Preshave Cube Soap, a regular part of my shave routine. Soap preparation began by salting the soap with 6 drops of M-Bomb before adding some boiling water to the Wool Fat mentholated concoction. Whipping up the result for about 30 seconds with the Viking Silvertip Badger brush yielded a very thin, bubbly, glistening brush topping which, when transferred to face and dome, blossomed into a nice, warm, thick, yogurty lather. In keeping with the successful R41 shave that ended January, I began my first WTG pass by riding the cap and using short even strokes until the razor began to sing. The Famex is one of my favorite razors because of this vibratory quality. It sang as it very efficiently sheared my whiskers off at the skin line on both face and dome.

After relathering, I confined my second pass to very light XTG buffing which had worked so well on the R41 yesterday , and discovered Madame Famex only wished to sing around my regular rough spots. These are the Adams Apple and jawline on the face and the sides and center of the back of my head. That first very careful, slow pass apparently really cleaned things up. I checked my watch and learned that I’d spent almost eight minutes on that first pass, almost double the time I usually spend. My second pass lasted three minutes and ended with an alum block check revealing no heat. I finished this exemplary, bloodless BBS shave with Thayers Lavender WH and PAA’s Mentholated Mysterium Serum. I feel clean, coool, very smoooth, and refreshed.

First off, welcome to the Journals! Reading about the lives of others here is always interesting. I love the your CT lol.

SOTD 02/02/20 7:00. AM

Church meeting today that seemed to go on forever. Finally ended! Time to submit this morning’s shave report. The Fatboy Wool Fat experience today resulted in a decent shave. Did my face on 9 and the dome on 7. I know many love this razor, but it’s ‘meh’ as far as I’m concerned. I never get close to the kind of shave I enjoy. It’s definitely not part of the regular rotation. The head geometry is bulky, and the handle too short for comfortable use. It just doesn’t work for me, qualified by YMMV. I’ll probably sell it, but given the market for these razors will wait as it is in excellent condition.
The shave turned out to be a three pass CCS shave that was disappointing as I was still left with rough areas in the back of my head, and under the jawline, but after the debacle with the Rex, another adjustable, elected to leave well enough alone! I wish all adjustables shaved like my Gibbs. Tomorrow’s shave will be better.

RAZOR: Gillette Fatboy
BLADE: Wizamet Super Iridium
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Preshave Cube Soap
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with PAA’s Mentholated Mysterium Serum

Bummer the FB doesn’t work so well for ya. Darn those long winded meetings too! :ROFLMAO:

Oh ... now you guys start piping up. Sure ... just wait til I buy one and go all meh on it.
I have 2 and one of them was my grandfather’s. So there’s a sentimental attachment for me there. I do get good shaves out of both though, I just happen to prefer a few other razors. I also haven’t really ventured off of setting 3, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I also think from a collector’s standpoint you have to have one of these in your den...unless you’re not into collecting.

Back