The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

My annual trip to Walgreens

CBLindsay

I Blame Dave
Owner
Legacy
Walgreens seems to be on every corner these days but I remember a time as a child (or just a younger version of my adult self) Walgreens was a glorious place that contained EVERY gift I have or will ever receive from my grandma or aunt. After getting married (30 years ago this Month) I found that everything my wife, children or I got from her grandma and aunt ALSO came from Walgreens. My first trip,inside a Walgreens was at the request of my grandma who could no longer go there herself, she wanted me to buy “applets & cottlets” candies and a few assorted other items. The Applets & Cotleys were candies she only bought at Christmas time and the other items included a few colognes and such to be given as gifts …HEY, I think my mom got all my gifts from my teenage years at Walgreens too!

Aside from a stretch where I would go in to have various prescriptions filled (I think this is how the old ladies in my life found Walgreens) I rarely step foot in Walgreens anymore (or most stores for that matter) but when I do it is to explore the state of all things candy, aftershave/cologne and shaving. And it’s almost always in December. About 10 years ago I temporarily broke tradition to get some Florida Water and steel single edge blades I had ordered online to have delivered to the store. Sometime prior to the pandemic chaos I bought several cheaper colognes (Stetson, English leather, aspen, British sterling and grey flannel) as well as the “new” king Gillette double edge razor and some de blades to go with it. Since then I don’t believe I have purchased anything from Walgreens.

That brings us to my most recent pre-Christmas visit. It was a rather sad visit to say the least. First Was the candy isle, nothing exciting or traditionally Christmas (no life savers book like my grandma used to get me) and EVERYTHING was so over priced I could hardley stand it. The Christmas gift isle was pathetic with maybe a single ornament catching my eye and a stuff dog that showed some promise. I didn’t pay much attention to price but what I did see was excessive. The popcorn tin (everyone knows what I’m talking about) was much smaller in size and priced as if it contained ANYTHING other than popcorn. There were no cologne gift boxes to rifle through, just their normal assortment of whatever colognes have become popular since my last visit. Then the shaving isle…a nice assortment of duke cannon soaps and some cremo products, lots of empty spaces for products I didn’t care to identify by the shelf tag and some assorted Harry’s shave club and Dollar shave club soaps and razors. I guess the subscription model isn’t cutting it for these guys. I didn’t pay close attention to the prices but nothing seemed crazy, the shave club kits were about $12 and there were some mach3 kits in the same ball park. They had NO Gillette or king Gillette stuff (unless they were where the empty space now dominate) but they DID have a variety of barbasol cans. I almost grabbed the yellow one but remembered I have a lifetime supply of nearly every kind and scent of soap I may ever want, the can would serve no purpose.

So we left with an order of a few photo prints from the photo department, a few small bags of nuts (for a gift game my wife has planned) a box of fruit delights (not quite the applets and cottlets grandma would have wanted but ok none the less) and a pack of 5 assorted flavor life savers for old times sake. I’m bummed they didn’t have butter rum life savers (although I think those are no longer being made) or any ‘cheap’ colognes to rifle through.

Be happy that you can still get the Lifesavers Christmas "book." They are discontinued in Canada and I had to search for alternative presents for my male relatives. :cautious:

@CBLindsay yep, it’s pretty sad around Walgreens these days. Every store is a carbon copy of the last and most of them have far too many empty shelves. The store with the most product and variety was the one on Connecticut Ave in DC, where all products were protected safely under glass… 🙃😟

I’ve given up looking for interesting products at corporate stores. It seems like they ran the wet-shaving/manlyness “fad” to its limit and they’ve given up trying.

On Walgreens, it seems like the standard employee would rather be anywhere else but where they are at the moment you walk up to the register. Then again, that could just be me..

My SIL has worked for Walgreens for almost 25 yrs I will inquire as to the happenings in the year 2000🤣

@CBLindsay yep, it’s pretty sad around Walgreens these days. Every store is a carbon copy of the last and most of them have far too many empty shelves. The store with the most product and variety was the one on Connecticut Ave in DC, where all products were protected safely under glass… 🙃😟

I’ve given up looking for interesting products at corporate stores. It seems like they ran the wet-shaving/manlyness “fad” to its limit and they’ve given up trying.

On Walgreens, it seems like the standard employee would rather be anywhere else but where they are at the moment you walk up to the register. Then again, that could just be me..
I have found the few employees who are actually on shift at Walgreens to be pretty robotic. They are on autopilot, saying hello/welcome to everyone that enters and asking if you want bags and if you have a rewards number on file when checking out. I honestly haven’t seen extra staff any time I’ve gone, don’t know when that became normal but it has been quite a long time.
I live in an area of the world where work ethic, customer service etc just don’t exist. When a truly special employee exists you really do appreciate it.

I have found the few employees who are actually on shift at Walgreens to be pretty robotic. They are on autopilot, saying hello/welcome to everyone that enters and asking if you want bags and if you have a rewards number on file when checking out. I honestly haven’t seen extra staff any time I’ve gone, don’t know when that became normal but it has been quite a long time.
I live in an area of the world where work ethic, customer service etc just don’t exist. When a truly special employee exists you really do appreciate it.
I can tell your from my SIL that the work condtions, management style , and Company ethics are Horrible at best, as we have heard from not only her but everyone who works there. In fact when she retires, other than SS and a non contributed 401K their benefit is a lifetime 15% discount. In most locations you are not allowed to address the Store Management by 1st names, and schedules are not a consideration, not consistent. Days off are regularly staggered, and almost never together, so you could work 14 days straight have one day off then work three and have 4 off. We have tried to get her to leave, but she has been there so long, she had almost given up. No to mention she make just above what is now minimum wage, and tenured employees do not get commensurate increased to match new hire wages. So, in essence a new hire can be making as much as someone who has spent 25 yrs there.

This applies to Store employees. The Pharmacy is different , but not much better as my SIL's daughter was a pharmacy tech for some time there and quit due to conditions. This may lead to the overall attitude.

We WILL NOT shop there Ever

Back