The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Muhle Companion

Shortly after Muhle introduced their stainless steel R41, the introduced the Muhle Companion. Companion was the name of the razor and had nothing to do with needing to buy it along with the R41, unless you were in the doghouse with your purchase and needed something to appease your wife. ;)

When it was announced, I don't recall any razor where folks had negative opinions of it without even shaving with it. There was the part where it came with a lanyard (with your choice of a couple of colors), then the handle was too long and too skinny, then the head was zinc alloy and the handle was stainless steel, and then it was marketed as a unisex razor. For me, I just thought the head was an interesting design and it was not a major investment in funds and so I ordered one. Just to be on the safe side, I ordered one with a blue lanyard so the folks on this forum are clear as to which sex I was uni with.

DSC03696.JPG
DSC03695.JPG
DSC03694.JPG

The handle was interesting, not only because of it's length, but of the "fingerprint" pattern, which actually worked well while shaving. It offered a better grip than the stainless steel R41 I got last month. The head was wider than a normal head because not only was the cap wide enough to cover the tabs, but the base plate was wider. Surprisingly, the razor was not top heavy, but was quite balanced using the extra long and slim fingerprint handle.

First shave was last night and when I started my WTG pass, I was expecting something along the line of the R79. Immediately I found out that this was not to be the case. There was significant blade feel to the Companion and even by adjusting the angle, there was still blade feel. The results was a pretty efficient first pass, and when I started my ATG pass, I found that enough was taken off from the WTG pass that the ATG pass was very smooth and comfortable. I could have stopped at the ATG pass, but since this was the first shave with the Companion, I did my usual XTG pass along the jaw line and under my chin. I ended up with a comfortable and efficient BBS.

Prior to the shave, I did manage to take the lanyard out. I actually had to read the manual to see how it it done. To remove the lanyard, you need one straightened paper clip. To put the lanyard back in, you needed two. Great German engineering. 🤔

For those wanting a step up from your EJ/Muhle R79 without getting into premium stainless steel razor category, the Companion is a very good step up at a price no more than a new R79.

I still have and love my R41 which was my second DE after the EJ89lbl which I also still have. I can’t justify a SS version of the R41 much less the Companion but it sounds like quite a nice razor. Thanks for your review!

Back