The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Meeting nerds

NurseDave

“The TSC’s Cobb Salad”
Legacy
First Responder
Bingo Wizard
Concierge
You folks with office jobs and plenty of meetings, I have question for you. What do you use to stay organized?

I think I'm looking for a folio that has a place for 2 pens, pocket for a cell phone and hold a bad of paper. Those are easy enough to find. But I'm realizing, I also need something with a paper calendar where I can jot notes of when I need to follow-up on something like 4 days later. I don't need a lot of space for each day, so I'm thinking a week spread over two pages is more than fine. Maybe even a month. But most things like that aren't 8.5x11. So that would mean a smaller pad of paper which is fine, but then I can't carry papers in it when I need to.

What do ya'll use?

My days of lots of meetings and such was a long time ago. I carried around a legal sized clipboard and actually used a pocket protector. (My site pass was attached to it)

@Spider I can imagine there would be all these looks and people not knowing if it was a joke or not and embarrassed to say anything.

My days of lots of meetings and such was a long time ago. I carried around a legal sized clipboard and actually used a pocket protector. (My site pass was attached to it)
Slide rule on the belt?

I use Hobonichis all the time. The Hobonichi Weeks would do the job you're asking for, but it's probably way to nerdy for you.

I use Hobonichis all the time. The Hobonichi Weeks would do the job you're asking for, but it's probably way to nerdy for you.
Oh, I'm down for nerdy. That actually looks neat. But it would have to be in addition to a folio for carrying papers, pens, etc. Which isn't a non-starter. Just hoping I might be able to combine both.

Oh, I'm down for nerdy. That actually looks neat. But it would have to be in addition to a folio for carrying papers, pens, etc. Which isn't a non-starter. Just hoping I might be able to combine both.

Ah, then that wouldn't work for you. You could get a nifty cover for it to hold pens etc, but you'd still need something for the papers since the Weeks is so small. But you could also get the A5 version and a cover, but you'd still have to fold stuff.

This is my other nerd heaven for that sort of stuff, I've got a bunch of their pen cases and the briefcase, which might also be great for you since it's really minimal, you could still fit the Weeks in it no problem.

Oh wait, Bellroy also does some nice folios, this might be more up your alley, but it's pricey

Hobnichi Cousin Avec would fit that really well......

I hate to say it Dave but you live in an area that demands the use of electronic devices, anything less is just a....dare I day, a Trapper Keeper. Your organizer, note taking device, calendar and car navigation must all be the same device. You aren't required to have it on your wrist but that adds to the cool factor and might lead to a promotion or even an appointment to the Chief of whatever slot.

Absent the tech thing I usually rely on the margins of the meeting agenda and take relevant notes on supporting docs. I take all of these documents with me when I leave and put them in my trunk (lest I clutter my car seats) and leave them there to mix with the papers I put there over the years. I then wait for an invite to the next meeting to arrive via email and add the meeting to my phone calendar (which may or may not actually be for the right day/year and will usually be added to the family calendar or some other random calendar not related to the event). If i am lucky the phone will make some sort of noise far enough in advance of the meeting that I can stop what I am doing and head to the scheduled meeting. OR if I am even luckier the meeting was added to the family calendar and my wife or 10 yr old daughter will remind me that I have a meeting and ask me when I expect to be done.

My point...All the written or electronic organizers I have ever had have done little to add to my ability to be better organized or improve my participation beyond a basic desk calendar and basic prep done using the packets sent prior to the meeting (which usually serve to confirm ot remind me of the meeting)

...and I do actually have a few different trapper keeper style binders i keep for different organizations so I am able to grab and go as needed.

Ah, then that wouldn't work for you. You could get a nifty cover for it to hold pens etc, but you'd still need something for the papers since the Weeks is so small. But you could also get the A5 version and a cover, but you'd still have to fold stuff.

This is my other nerd heaven for that sort of stuff, I've got a bunch of their pen cases and the briefcase, which might also be great for you since it's really minimal, you could still fit the Weeks in it no problem.

Oh wait, Bellroy also does some nice folios, this might be more up your alley, but it's pricey

Hobnichi Cousin Avec would fit that really well......
Thanks, I'll check them out. I will need a case for my fountain pens...

I would think everything you need is right on your phone. Calendar is right there. You can create to do lists within the calendar. All your contacts are there as well. Maybe supplement with a small paper pad and pen and you're good to go. I've seen lots of people using these at the investment firms I worked at. I never used them but can see how they would be helpful and classy and attractive at the same time.
Image result for leather hardcover notebook

...and I do actually have a few different trapper keeper style binders i keep for different organizations so I am able to grab and go as needed.
I hope you have a Dukes of Hazzard one!

@CBLindsay what's actually happening is I now not only need to ask people to do things, but then say follow-up in three days if I haven't heard from them. I do your sytle of note taking in meetings with agendas, and carry a folio to 1:1 meetings to take notes on blank paper. The trouble is, as Dave can confirm, my memory isn't what it was when I was younger and I'll forget that I need to check back with someone by the end of the day much less 3 days later. So I'm looking for something to add to my stuff to help with those reminders. Just have to find what will actually work for me. It would make sense to put reminders on my work phone, but typing those in during a meeting isn't as fast as writing something down. But I also haven't tried the trunk technique. So maybe I'll have to give that a shot as well!

@CBLindsay what's actually happening is I now not only need to ask people to do things, but then say follow-up in three days if I haven't heard from them. I do your sytle of note taking in meetings with agendas, and carry a folio to 1:1 meetings to take notes on blank paper. The trouble is, as Dave can confirm, my memory isn't what it was when I was younger and I'll forget that I need to check back with someone by the end of the day much less 3 days later. So I'm looking for something to add to my stuff to help with those reminders. Just have to find what will actually work for me. It would make sense to put reminders on my work phone, but typing those in during a meeting isn't as fast as writing something down. But I also haven't tried the trunk technique. So maybe I'll have to give that a shot as well!
Yeah, my memory used to be such that it was stupid to take notes and enter stuff into a phone calendar because I wasn't in the habit of looking or reviewing ...my mind was a steel trap. All this wet shaving has rusted that steel trap and now i forget that I forgot. Any meeting I chair or lead I usually have staff or someone to set up reminders and put on calendar for me. Other people know that if they can figure out a way to get it on my calendar I will show up, so i end up with all sorts of meetings on my schedule that I had no part in setting up. Fortunate for me I am able to complete most of my "to-do" tasks pretty quickly after the meetings so I don't leave much to memory.

Long before the electronic devices my dad had "the book" it was a combination of calendar, contact manager, note book, to-do list. It had stickies and all sorts of things attached to it, all he had to do was open the book to the current day and do what was there that day and add notes for future days as needed. It was his life...his iPhone

Every year Hallmark had a calendar book that fit neatly in my pocket. Behind my pocket protector. I’ll, go look, I may yet have one I can send you.

Back