The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

2 May, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

A couple from Depeche Mode for your Thursday. Hope you enjoy.

Today's shave beat out yesterday's for "best of the week (thus far)". Returned to ETHOS Grooming Essentials and Frank's excellent "Honeysuckle" soap & splash set. Great natural honeysuckle scent with incredible lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "REM Cycle" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the pre-war Gillette Tech, and I finished with the matching skin food splash and Acqua di Parma "Colonia Essenza" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Not much to report. It's Friday eve!

Hope you've had a great day. :)

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Honeysuckle" Shave Soap / WWBW "REM Cycle" Sweet Spot Badger Brush / Gillette Tech
Wizamet / Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Honeysuckle" Skin Food Splash / Acqua di Parma "Colonia Essenza" EdC

IMG_4675.jpg

3 May, 2024

Going with a couple from R&B/Soul greats The O'Jays for your Friday. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Taylor of Old Bond Street and their excellent "Grapefruit" shave cream. Sharp, tart citrus scent with incredible lather built with the Paladin "Year of the Dragon" 2-Band Select badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Gillette Super-109, and I finished with Hendrix Classics & Co. "Citrus Bomb" after shave splash and Creed "Himalaya" EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: It's Friday!!! Not much planned for the weekend. May fire up the new smoker if the weather cooperates.

TOBS "Grapefruit" Shave Cream / Paladin "Year of the Dragon" Badger Brush / '69 Gillette Super-109
Wizamet / Alum / Hendrix Classics & Co. "Citrus Bomb" After Shave Splash / Creed "Himalaya" EdP

IMG_4680.jpg

4 May, 2024

It's "Synthwave Saturday" so here's a live stream for your listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Late but great shave this afternoon. Returned to the Jikoryen shave stick. I call this the kinder, gentler cousin of the infamous Arko. Same scent though less strong but with the same incredible lather built with the Riva Brushes Manchurian badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Rockwell 6S, and I finished with Brut Oceans after shave splash.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: As noted, late shave today. More yard work and I over did it. Can tell my back is going to be killing me tomorrow (it already is). 😵‍💫

"Jikoryen" Shave Stick / Riva Brushes Manchurian Badger Brush / Rockwell 6S (Plate C)
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Brut "Oceans" After Shave Splash

IMG_4688.jpg

Last edited:
5 May, 2024

It's "Slow Jazz Sunday" so here's a live stream for your listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements and their excellent "Sacré Bleu" shave soap. Wonderful old school Aqua Velva classic scent with incredible lather built with the Paladin Chief 2-Band Select badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '58 Gillette Super Speed TV Special, and I finished with Aqua Velva "Classic Ice Blue" after shave splash & Davidoff "Cool Water" EdT.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Back is indeed hurting, but not as bad as I'd feared it would. Laundry today and some general housework. In a classic movie mood so I plan on having an Alfred Hitchcock Double Feature later.. Thinking "North by Northwest" and perhaps "The Birds".

PAA "Sacré Bleu" Shave Soap / Paladin Chief 2-Band Badger Brush / '58 Gillette Super Speed TV Special
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Aqua Velva "Classic Ice Blue" After Shave Splash / Davidoff "Cool Water" EdT

IMG_4696.jpg

6 May, 2024

Getting your Monday kicked off with a couple from Duran Duran. Watched a really good documentary on them yesterday on Netflix. If you're a fan of the band, it's definitely worth a look. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. New soap / splash day with the "Litsea Cubeba" set from CBL Soaps. Excellent scent with a nice citrus, green aspect. There also seems to be a very light camphorous note at the heart which gives it a slight medicinal note. Very fresh, soothing scent and incredible lather built with the Rich Yuengel "Blue Meanie" HMW badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Timeless TRBR38, and I finished with the matching after shave tonic & Zoologist "Bee" EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Rough night's sleep and morning. A great shave and coffee is helping.

CBL Soaps "Litsea Cubeba" Shave Soap / Rich Yuengel "Blue Meanie" HMW Badger Brush / Timeless Razor "TRBR38"
Gillette Platinum / Alum / CBL Soaps "Litsea Cubeba" After Shave Tonic / Zoologist "Bee" EdP

IMG_4704.jpg

7 May, 2024

Going with a couple of classics from Billy Joel this morning. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to ETHOS Grooming Essentials and Frank's excellent "Mélange d'Agrumes" soap & splash. Wonderfully bright, tart citrus scent providing an incredible lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "REM Cycle" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '58 Gillette Super Speed TV Special, and I finished with the matching skin food splash & Acqua di Parma "Colonia" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Better sleep last night thankfully. Walked out for my morning commute (all 5 minutes of it) and the heat and humidity (not to mention the wind) was shocking. We don't normally see these levels until late June / early July. It reminded me of incoming tropical storms / hurricanes I experienced while in the Navy. Storms moving in tomorrow and Thursday (that same complex that has been giving the mid-west such headaches). Hope it wont be too bad.

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Mélange d'Agrumes" Shave Soap / WWBW "REM Cycle" Sweet Spot Badger Brush / '58 Gillette Super Speed
Gillette Platinum / Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Mélange d'Agrumes" Skin Food Splash / AdP "Colonia" EdC

IMG_4713.jpg

Last edited:
Back