The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Maggard's 70/30 Knot Review

I'm a big fan of Maggard knots 👍
The SHD 2 Band badger is a great knot and even their standard badger knots are really good . especially for the price.
But they still don't have true boar knots, and I have complained!!! But all they've come up with is the mix. I like firm scrubby and scritchy, I hold the brush white knuckled and jam it into my face and work it like I'm stripping paint! You want a man boar knot? ; Shaving Brush Knots | Badger | Boar | Horse | Synthetic

So I was one of the lucky ones who received a brush from Graydog. And I chose the 26mm 70/30 badger/boar knot from Maggard's to go into the handle. This is my opinion on the knot, I have used it now I think 10 shaves in a row.

First off the when first doing test lathers with the knot it is dirty. Noticeable discoloration of water and soap on initial use. So I did about 3 test lathers where you lather and let the lather sit for a couple hours. It got better with this approach but it wasn't enough. So I took a little bit of Dawn dish soap and about a teaspoon of oxiclean and lathered that and let it sit. Finally it no longer smelled dirty and didn't discolor water or lather. The other thing I noticed right off the bat about this knot and it seems to be a common problem with those I have talked to, is that they shed. Not excessively but each shave I have lost hairs. Started around 8-10, and now I am down to about 2-3. The knot is jam packed so I am not concerned about it, but something to keep in mind with this knot. Some really hate when a knot sheds at all. If you are one of those I would avoid this knot. I do expect it to stop eventually.

Anyone else have any thoughts on these knots? Aside from the extra cleaning these might become my go-to budget friendly knot that is not synthetic.
Excellent review my friend. I've always wondered about the appeal of a combination brush, now I know.

But I don't appreciate you making me want one!

But they still don't have true boar knots, and I have complained!!! But all they've come up with is the mix. I like firm scrubby and scritchy, I hold the brush white knuckled and jam it into my face and work it like I'm stripping paint! You want a man boar knot? ; Shaving Brush Knots | Badger | Boar | Horse | Synthetic
My first synthetic I got from @Graydog , I love it. Feels like the War Department's kisses about once a leap year!

But I really like the "scritchiness" of a boar on my incredibly handsome face!

You are in some pretty bad company @TobyC when you have anything in common with me!

Toby is it true that you use a file and make your blades open comb so the teeth all match up with your razor 😜

Razor: Feather - ASD2
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Iron Throne
Brush: Graydog Brush in Cocobolo with Maggard Razors 26mm Mixed 70/30 Badger and Boar
The Penultimate Aftershave - Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Proraso Aftershave Lotion (Green)

1595862218252.png

I used my newly acquired Cocobolo Graydog Brush is only my second shave with it. But this brush is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. I lost a couple more hairs in the knot, but that was to be expected. But this mixed badger and boar knot is really incredible. I mean...this brush is a lather maker! It is plenty big. If I didn't know that this was a 26mm knot...I would have thought it was bigger. But it will hold some soap and it allows you to make copious amounts of lather. It doesn't hog it either. There is still a little scritch to it...but it is going away quicker than I anticipated. Should be only a couple more shaves. Not sure how long though before it is fully broken in. But as of right now...this is my favorite brush!

Razor: Feather - ASD2
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Iron Throne
Brush: Graydog Brush in Cocobolo with Maggard Razors 26mm Mixed 70/30 Badger and Boar
The Penultimate Aftershave - Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Proraso Aftershave Lotion (Green)

1595862218252.png

I used my newly acquired Cocobolo Graydog Brush is only my second shave with it. But this brush is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. I lost a couple more hairs in the knot, but that was to be expected. But this mixed badger and boar knot is really incredible. I mean...this brush is a lather maker! It is plenty big. If I didn't know that this was a 26mm knot...I would have thought it was bigger. But it will hold some soap and it allows you to make copious amounts of lather. It doesn't hog it either. There is still a little scritch to it...but it is going away quicker than I anticipated. Should be only a couple more shaves. Not sure how long though before it is fully broken in. But as of right now...this is my favorite brush!
It doesn't "hog" it because it's only 30% boar!

I'm here all week!

Back