The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Maggard's 70/30 Knot Review

CVargo

“Ya… Chris, Dave, It really is my fault"
Owner
Legacy
So I was one of the lucky ones who received a brush from Graydog. And I chose the 26mm 70/30 badger/boar knot from Maggard's to go into the handle. This is my opinion on the knot, I have used it now I think 10 shaves in a row.

First off the when first doing test lathers with the knot it is dirty. Noticeable discoloration of water and soap on initial use. So I did about 3 test lathers where you lather and let the lather sit for a couple hours. It got better with this approach but it wasn't enough. So I took a little bit of Dawn dish soap and about a teaspoon of oxiclean and lathered that and let it sit. Finally it no longer smelled dirty and didn't discolor water or lather. The other thing I noticed right off the bat about this knot and it seems to be a common problem with those I have talked to, is that they shed. Not excessively but each shave I have lost hairs. Started around 8-10, and now I am down to about 2-3. The knot is jam packed so I am not concerned about it, but something to keep in mind with this knot. Some really hate when a knot sheds at all. If you are one of those I would avoid this knot. I do expect it to stop eventually.

Alright the good, after about shave 6 or 7 and those test lathers the boar hairs started to split and no longer felt prickly on my face. I have broken in a LOT of boar brushes over the years, and have had a couple that became way too floppy that it was time to retire them. Something that is harldy ever talked about in my opinion is that that the life of a boar brush is shorter than a badger and obviously a synthetic. But there is that sweet spot where honestly they are some of my favorite brushes. The biggest positive here in my opinion is that you get the extra backbone from the stiffer boar hairs and the pillow softness of the badger hairs combined. And you don't have set the knot lower with a floppy badger the get backbone. This really is the best of both worlds in my opinion.

Anyone else have any thoughts on these knots? Aside from the extra cleaning these might become my go-to budget friendly knot that is not synthetic.

Nice review Chad. Mine shed @20 first use and now 2-3 but only used it a couple few times. I'm a shedding hater but am okay if it is this dense and will end. I'm less accepting when it's a thin knot. No problem here. Mine aren't splitting yet so a little scritchy now but VERY happy with it and have high hopes for it. No noticeable dirtiness with mine.

I have one incoming and when I can use it I will definitely post here my thoughts. I have read where some people absolutely love this knot and others are not as keen. But I haven't heard a bad thing about the performance. It's always been about the dirt or the shedding.

Also...what do you think about the size? It seems to me that at the 26mm brushes seem to perform bigger than they are. Would you consider this a lather hog? Or do you really need to work at creating the lather. Just curious.

No noticeable dirtiness with mine.

Lucky. This has been the dirtiest brush I have bought... aside from that horse hair brush.

Would you consider this a lather hog? Or do you really need to work at creating the lather. Just curious.

That is one piece I inadvertently left out. This brush blooms so big! Which personally I like! And it doesn't necessarily HOG lather per se but it does make a LOT of lather. But I have found it releases it just fine.

I put a 24mm in one of my extra rubberset fittings, set it at a pretty high loft nd couldn’t be happier with the results. Mine was definitely dirty but came clean with one good washing. The prickly was NOT going away fast, it is best described as having a fantastic fuzzy blanket that you love to snuggle with ...that got dragged through the weeds, washed and still has stickers deep inside. I decided to chemically soften the tops after about a week and a dozen lather/dry sessions. Now I am really pleased with it. I look forward to putting the 26mm I have into something nice.

I love the two that I have, although I only grab one of them with any sort of frequency. I can't say that I had a dirty of excessively skunky knot when it first came in, and I didn't have nearly as much shedding. Maybe I'm one of the lucky few? Great knot, great value in my mind.

I love the two that I have, although I only grab one of them with any sort of frequency. I can't say that I had a dirty of excessively skunky knot when it first came in, and I didn't have nearly as much shedding. Maybe I'm one of the lucky few? Great knot, great value in my mind.

Yes and I hope my review wasn't seen as negative by the masses. I love the knot! It does shed a bit more than usual boars or badgers compared to when first using. And it was more dirty then stinky. But did have a bit of a funk to it.

Yes and I hope my review wasn't seen as negative by the masses. I love the knot! It does shed a bit more than usual boars or badgers compared to when first using. And it was more dirty then stinky. But did have a bit of a funk to it.
I definitely got a lot more positive than negative. Just chiming in to give my two cents. I love me some Maggard knots of all varieties. Great quality and value in my opinion.

I have had a few over the years and I kept one. Don't tell my wife but I used her Very expensive shampoo to de-funk it 😜.
Mine shed at first like yours and it slowed down like yours and then it stopped completely. I don't use it much anymore so it's just sitting on the shelf.
When I do get around to using it, it will loose a few hairs . overall I like it still but not as much as my 2 bands . Maybe I'll take it for a spin tomorrow morning 😉

I definitely got a lot more positive than negative. Just chiming in to give my two cents. I love me some Maggard knots of all varieties. Great quality and value in my opinion.
I'm a big fan of Maggard knots 👍
The SHD 2 Band badger is a great knot and even their standard badger knots are really good . especially for the price.

I tested out my APshaveco 70/30 mix brush today. I'd think it's similar to Maggard's.

For me, this one has high scrubby feel which I'm not a big fan of. I'm working to break in the boar bristles because I think they're the ones causing the extra scrub. So far, it hasn't broken in but I'm hoping that changes with each use.

Razor: Feather - ASD2
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (3rd Shave)
Soap/Cream: The Sudsy Soapery - Lavender & Peppermint
Brush: Graydog Brush in Cocobolo with Maggard Razors 26mm Mixed 70/30 Badger and Boar
The Penultimate Aftershave - Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Fine Classic After Shave - Lavender Pour Homme

1595591126387.png

Today's brush is compliments of Mr. @Graydog ! He was generous enough to make a handle and offer it to me. I am forever grateful! I gave it a good and thorough wash yesterday. I got rid of a number of loose hairs doing that and removed some of the funk that often accompanies animal fiber brushes. It still has a slight animal scent to it...but it's better than what it was. After the wash, the knot came out in full bloom. This knot is 70/30 badger to boar bristles. This is my first of this variety and I have wanted to try one for quite a while now. Let first say that the shape, size, and weight are all just perfect to me. It's on the bigger side of things and that is what I like. Had Steve/Graydog not made this brush...I would have said the same things. This brush handle is perfect. The knot...oh man...this knot is a lather maker! Good lord this brush can one load well...it can also hold well...and it can make a ton of really good lather in a heartbeat with little effort. This brush exceeds my expectations!

I'll post more as I use this. This will likely be my go-to brush until the SV brush comes in. For now...man this thing is awesome!

Back