The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Mac computer people

NurseDave

“Stefan’s Glitterbomb King”
Legacy
First Responder
Bingo Wizard
Concierge
Hey, anyone out there use a Mac? Probably specifically a MacBook Air. Was thinking about getting one, but I see the internal memory is pretty low. I would want access to my photos and know you can link the phone and computer so they sync, but my phone has way more memory than the MacBooks do. How do you deal with this?

When you say access photos, do you mean editing or just storing/sorting/looking?

What do you need memory for? Isn't everything stored on the cloud now?

When you say access photos, do you mean editing or just storing/sorting/looking?
Good point. I guess I need access to photos from my phone for posting to the forums. And then I would like to be able to get videos from my phone to the computer for editing and posting from there.

What do you need memory for? Isn't everything stored on the cloud now?
I would have to pay more to have all my photos in the iCloud. Plus then you don't have access without internet.

Funny...I've been looking at a new PC to improve my presence on this here site (I'm sure all of you are yelling at your phones, "dear god, NO!!!!"). I'm an android user so a MAC isn't remotely in the cards for me (the only MAC product I've ever liked was the iPod). Let me know how your experience goes with this. I'm never fully convinced that a PC is the best route for me so I could be talked into trying a MAC.

With the price of external SSDs now, the most economical option is to get one. Or just pay Apple for built in storage, but admittedly they overcharge.
In any case iCloud storage is worth it IMO, if only as an easy way to back up your photos.

Anyway, I've used Macs for years, have a Studio and MacBook myself, and Helena just updated her MacBook Air, so I'm fairly up to date on Macland.

@heysi this would be my first Mac, though 3 other people in the house have them. We have what I thought was a nice PC downstairs, but I just about toss it across the room every time I wait for its slowness to wake up or even worse reboot. Plus, I hardly use the thing because I don't like hanging out downstairs. I've been impressed with how anything Apple automatically integrates with other like products. So figured maybe it was time to unify.

iCloud storage is worth it IMO, if only as an easy way to back up your photos.
So if I shoot a video on my phone, it would be very easy to download from the cloud to the laptop to edit I assume?

So if I shoot a video on my phone, it would be very easy to download from the cloud to the laptop to edit I assume?
It's really easy, it will automatically go to the Photos app on all your devices.

You just have to be sure to tell it you want to share across all your devices, and you don't have to think about it again. Mostly.

Sometimes it can be slow, a trick I've found is to plug the phone to a charger, and open the Photos app then it's almost always immediate.
If it's really big you can also use AirDrop.

Cole hit the nail on the head really.

Personally, while the convenience of the Cloud is through the roof, I’ve never liked the idea that if a service stops or if I want to stop a service, I loose all access to my stuff if I don’t grab it. I’d prefer an external HD route for longer term storage. Short term could be kept on the MacBook. Though the Air is touted to have up to 2TB memory? Which is an insane amount of storage! Is that still not enough?

The Air would be OK for very light editing of photos/videos, general office stuff and web surfing. Just be warned that for more intensive graphics stuff, even extended Zoom chats, Apple’s push for thinner hardware has increased its heat mitigation issues. The MacBooks can heat up pretty quickly, Even when doing something that seems pretty basic, and it can be a bit noisy as it tries to compensate.

Apple does take the cake though for ease of use and integration.

For sure it's best to double back up. Something I need to get back to myself.

My M1 MacBook Pro has been insanely good with thermal control, fan just doesn't come on, or it's so quite I don't hear it. But for sure the Air will throttle when it heats up. Of Course it's so dang light and portable that it makes up for some faults.

BTW the M1 Airs are arguably as good as M2, especially if you don't upgrade RAM. For some reason Apple throttled the RAM on the lower end M2 Airs. The M1 is just incredible value for money right now. Something you can't often say about an Apple product.

Though the Air is touted to have up to 2TB memory?
Ya, I wasn't going to pay for that.

@HMan do you have any idea if you can connect to your iCloud on a PC to download content? I have a large HD on our PC, and the photo folder auto back-ups to Carbonite for an off-site back-up. I could transfer new photos once a month to keep a personal copy.

Ya, I wasn't going to pay for that.

@HMan do you have any idea if you can connect to your iCloud on a PC to download content? I have a large HD on our PC, and the photo folder auto back-ups to Carbonite for an off-site back-up. I could transfer new photos once a month to keep a personal copy.

You can instal iCloud for Windows and do it. If you have DropBox, or OneDrive, you can also install them on your Mac and transfer files that way. Lots of options!

@heysi. This how he re-pays you for the win on a legit Rolex vs. legit Bond watch?

I would never do that. Plus I have cookies and Hombres🙃🙃
Um......... you're the reigning KING of doing that to me................But bribery works.

Back