The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Lisa would like your opinion

LNHC

Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations
Artisan Retailer
Good Afternoon Everybody,

I'm doing some research on eco-packaging and would like your input on the following questions pretty please!

1. How important is eco-packaging when you purchase shaving soap:
2. How often do you purchase shaving soap in puck form:
3. If you purchase shaving soap in puck form what do you do with it in between uses?
4. Of you who have purchased my pucks, what do you put them in when you shave and store them.
5. Does a shaving soap without a "tub or jar" deter you from purchasing them?

Currently, I have reformulated my original herb-infused shaving pucks and am up in the air on the packaging. My plan is wrapped and boxed.

Thank you all so much for your help.

Lisa

I'm doing some research on eco-packaging and would like your input on the following questions pretty please!

3. If you purchase shaving soap in puck form what do you do with it in between uses?
4. Of you who have purchased my pucks, what do you put them in when you shave and store them.

Currently, I have reformulated my original herb-infused shaving pucks and am up in the air on the packaging. My plan is wrapped and boxed.

Lisa
For me, personally, it's not as much eco packaging as common sense packaging. If I am low on soap and you sell refill pucks, I'm buying that. It's still going in the same plastic tub, but I don't necessarily need a new piece of plastic each time. I guess that does kind of make it eco-friendlier?

Also some of us do like soap bowls / dishes (old spice mug, for example), so refills are good there.

I personally liked the herbal line. It worked well... very well in fact. It was a more solid puck, making it more appropriate if you used a mug. It was sold in 3oz pucks, not 5oz ... We all have too many choices to need a TON of any one scent at a time (imo). The only downside was if you didn't have a dish... But so many of us had extras etc i never saw a huge problem. That said, like Stirling does, you could offer empty dishes as a separate purchase. Maybe a post consumer recycled thing, for an eco-friendlier shop?

Hope this was some sort of help. Can't wait to see the new herbal formulation!

Personally, if given a choice of a soap coming in eco-packaging or in a tub, I will always choose eco-packaging.

After going crazy purchasing soaps the past couple of years, I have been more selective in my soap purchases, however I will say that all five soaps I purchased in the past 6 months has been pucks in eco-packaging.

I store them mostly in one of my millions of used plastic tubs.

see above

For me, the quality and performance of the soap is what I look for when I purchase a soap. However, if a great soap comes in a tub or as a refill, I will always get the refill.

Short answer to the above - keep producing those great soaps, and if the only way they come is in eco-packaging, I will continue to buy them.

Not at all. I'm a sucker for nice packaging and want it to feel strong.

Very rarely
I will only open it if I have a container I can keep it in.

They are always put in a container to stay in if I open it.

Yes. Because I need to supply a container or I don't use them.

Don't care.

It's what I prefer to use.

I use one till it's done.

Nope, don't need the container.

Not an issue either way.

My preference is leaning towards pucks.

If I have an empty tub it goes in it.

Pucks go in an empty tub. I usually keep a few spares.

No. On future purchases I like the option of a tub or refill puck.

Is eco-packaging paper/cardboard or reusable glass or plastic?

50% of purchases

Keep it in the jar/container its in. Or in few cases pop it out and put it in parchment paper/plastic wrap.

N/A

Tbh, i will typically avoid certain soaps because of their tubs now. I have come to appreciate the wide low profile jars. Reusable, easy to store, solid feeling and pleasant to look at.

Depends? If a tub is recyclable or reusable, then I consider that eco packaging. What I don’t like is excess packing. I don’t need a tub inside a bag, wrapped in paper, then bubble wrapped. Just put the tub in a box with packing material. I don’t care about the experience in opening the box, only the quality of the shave.

Almost never.

I will only use a puck, if I have a tub to put it in.

N/A

Yes, I have hundreds of soaps, and they need to be in tubs so they will stack and store neatly on my shelves.

1. How important is eco-packaging when you purchase shaving soap: --Not a major consideration, but I do tend to keep and reuse tubs.
2. How often do you purchase shaving soap in puck form: --Frequently, and considering I enjoy vintage mugs it is my preferred format.
3. If you purchase shaving soap in puck form what do you do with it in between uses? --It lives in a vintage mug. Tubs are nice for storage/stacking. Mugs in use make a better functional display imho. It does limit a bit of what pucks are in active rotation as mugs take up more room.
4. Of you who have purchased my pucks, what do you put them in when you shave and store them. --I have not bought your specific pucks, but in other cases mugs with a lid as previously mentioned.
5. Does a shaving soap without a "tub or jar" deter you from purchasing them? --Not in the least.

Overall I just like old vintage mugs, and pucks let me actually use them and justify them as functional and not just "clutter". It helps to limit a bit of the active soap rotation as you can't just stack up tub after tub, and that is a good limit to have. I will also tend to back stock on pucks as refills.

Greetings to you, Lisa!

I have three (3) @LNHC soaps in my limited, but growing "collection" of shave soaps and I cherish each one of them: Tashmere -Incredible (please Please PLEASE consider reviving this scent in the new Premium Base)!!!, ...Ouzoud -Sensuous, or perhaps even sensual!, ...and now The Down Low -Absolutely Positively Invigorating!!!

1. Eco-Packaging: I am a Hydrogeologist working in the environmental field and I witness 1st hand every day the detrimental effects of contaminants to our land, water and air (you have NO idea!!!). Thus, I am all for eco-friendly, minimal packaging, reusable items, and overall waste reduction. And now that I have a few shave soap tubs to my name, I anticipate reusing them whenever they are empty,... but that does take quite a long time. I agree with @Spider , "Just put the tub in a box...". It's the quality of the product that counts and wasteful packaging is NEVER Eco-Friendly packaging.

2. Pucks: I have never (yet) purchased a puck of shave soap that does not come in a tub/jar/container.

3/4. What the Puck? I have not purchased a shave soap puck for the specific reason of NOT knowing what to do with them. I do know that some shave vendors, such as Maggard Razors, do sell quality shave soap containers with screw-on lids for this very purpose, but as I am somewhat "green" in my acquisition of soaps, I have not yet considered this option. Instead (as mentioned in #1 above), I will most definitely reuse tubs when they become available. Therefore, soaps that are sold only as pucks without a container, up to this point, have not appealed to me.

Suggestion:
Soap makers could/should (and some do) offer shave soaps in two (2) options: 1) in a container and 2) without a container. However, unless one is simply refilling a container with the same soap as before, guys like me will be a bit "put off" by a container that is labeled "Soap X" and now contains "Soap Y". And for me, the label art on a shave soap is often a significant factor in my decision to (or not to) purchase it in the first place.

So HERE is my naïve marketing solution: When selling shave soaps, offer them both with and without containers. And more importantly, for the soaps sold without a container, DO include a stick-on label to place on the top of whatever repurposed shave soap container we are going to place that soap into. This way my new soap in my reused container has a proper identification label (with the intended label art) AND I am being eco-friendly at the same time! Ingenious! Well, just a thought....

And more importantly, for the soaps sold without a container, DO include a stick-on label to place on the top of whatever repurposed shave soap container we are going to place that soap into.
Yes!! I’d be more apt to buy a puck if it came with a label, knowing I’d be reusing one of my own containers for it.

Okay, and one suggestion to a question that wasn't asked. For me, I like to rotate soaps and I see lately where artisan soap makers start to put more in a tub and raise the prices. When I first started wet shaving, the pucks were 2-3 oz. Lately they are 4-6 oz, and in tubs. I am willing to pay more per oz to get a smaller amount because that would insure that I would finish a soap instead of stacking twenty 5 oz soaps in tubs and not getting around to them. Many others probably feel this way - just look at the BST on all the other boards. I truly enjoy LNHC soaps, but so far, I have always stuck to the sample sizes just to ensure that I could finish them and try different ones. I will definitely pay $12-15 to get a 3 oz puck in eco-packaging.

Another reason I prefer tubs to pucks is the larger surface area. It’s easier to load of a wider tub, especially with larger brushes, than off a smaller puck.

Lisa
A little late to the conversation, but I'll offer my two cents.

Honestly, I don't look for eco-packaging...if you have it...great...but I am probably not looking for it. If you give me a choice between two types of packaging in the same product for the same price...I would likely take the eco-packaging.

Occasionally I will purchase just the puck. But most soaps I have purchased in the past, only come in tubs. If I finish a tub of soap and want to replace it...I would definitely appreciate buying the puck replacement.

I have had one of your pucks a while back...but if we are talking about pucks in general. I have a "soap locker" that I put them in. I also have a few soap mugs that I might put them in. I have also been know just to put a whole puck in a shave bowl.

Hope this helps.

When I get a soap that doesn't come with a container I just go to dollar tree and buy a container.. they have them cheap and they just work... I know with Chris's soaps I like that they have the little label sticker because I can just take it off the plastic wrap and stick it on the container. Honestly I don't even care if a refill comes in its own little box , just put the plastic wrapped or bagged pucks in a shipping box and I put them in my own container. It's cheaper on the maker because there isn't the added box or tub cost and it weighs less without those so shipping is less too...

1. How important is eco-packaging when you purchase shaving soap: I just don't want a bunch of extra packing, think Fitjar. Wrapped in a paper wrapper. I'm not so interested in a virtue signal of eco packing etc.
2. How often do you purchase shaving soap in puck form: Often, I have a lot of jars and mugs.
3. If you purchase shaving soap in puck form what do you do with it in between uses? As stated above, I keep them in Old spice mugs with lids, vintage jars etc.
4. Of you who have purchased my pucks, what do you put them in when you shave and store them. N/A
5. Does a shaving soap without a "tub or jar" deter you from purchasing them? No, but I do like having a special jar for storage.

Thanks @LNHC

I see the new Herb infused Soaps are out. Can't believe I missed that! Actually saw them at The Razor Company.

Impulse buy: decided to grab a tub of French vanilla oak. Sounds good for the autumn, and will definitely be a good tester for the new line.

Get em while you can folks!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Back