The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Liberty Memorial

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
Liberty Memorial in Kansas City is the only national monument to WWI. The National WWI museum resides underneath the monument. I did not take any pics inside the museum, but here’s some from the outside.

Very neat! Is there any significance to the figures and style of tower chosen?

Very neat! Is there any significance to the figures and style of tower chosen?

The tower and buildings are designed in the classical Egyptian Revival style of architecture. I don’t know the significance.

The tower is 216ft tall and has 4 40ft Guardian Spirits on top, each holds a sword and represent the virtues of Honor, Courage, Patriotism, and Sacrifice.

On each side of th tower are two Assyrian Sphinxes named "Memory" and "Future," covering their faces with their wings. Memory faces East, hiding its face from the horrors of the European battlefields. Its counterpart faces West and shields its eyes from a future yet unseen.[

That’s a great museum, I was just there a couple of weeks ago. Let me know next time you’re in town and we’ll hook up for lunch.

Back