The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Let's Talk Vintage Aftershaves

Favorite Vintage Aftershave?

• Aqua Velva

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Old Spice

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Pinaud

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Osage Rub

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brut

• Lucky Tiger

• Floid

• Skin Bracer

• Speick

• Proraso

• Avon

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Tabac

• Pitralon

• Total voters

Luecke3262

“I am the Grail Razor Hunter”
Hobbyist
Loads of us collect and use vintage aftershaves, what is your favorite??

Do you collect Vintage Aftershaves for use?

This one was a tough decision for me - Aqua Velva has a special place in my heart because it was my father’s daily driver - I ultimately chose Floïd because I really like the old school scent and menthol kick of Mentolado Vigoroso

I personally went with Aqua Velva because I really enjoy the scent and face feel from using the true vintage version. The Spanish version is close, but does not compare to the 1980's and earlier versions.

I have vintage versions of AV, Pinaud, OS and many different Avon options (most are a dup of the name brand AS's listed) and I find the Vintage OS and Pinuad most enjoyable. I like vintage AV more than the newer stuff but I don't use it much...probably should, because it is good stuff. Brut is good stuff but it is kind of boring.

I'm still looking for a bottle of vintage Yardley, Lentheric, Cargo, and Seaforth at a decent price. Unfortunately I don't think I'll find a bottle of the Cargo or Seaforth with usable juice in them due to the fact that they both used cork in their bottle caps... The Yardley and Lentheric are HIGH priced, someday I'll find them at a decent price and pull the trigger.

I'm still looking for a bottle of vintage Yardley, Lentheric, Cargo, and Seaforth at a decent price. Unfortunately I don't think I'll find a bottle of the Cargo or Seaforth with usable juice in them due to the fact that they both used cork in their bottle caps... The Yardley and Lentheric are HIGH priced, someday I'll find them at a decent price and pull the trigger.
I have a bottle of vintage Yardley (and of course I have vintage Yardley soap in a wood bowl), it isn't all that remarkable but I am happy to have it in my collection. I was able to locate some Yardley lavender perfume for my wife, it is a decent wife scent.
I would like to have a vintage Seaforth BOTTLE but I have no experience with the soap or expectation of scent so I wouldn't care if it had juice in it. Funny enough, I find a lot of vintage Avon has a common "old" base smell with only hints of what I expect was its original glory. Oland is an exception, that stuff is so powerful it owns the day. I like Vintage Avon Spice but many bottles end up smelling off some how, mix it with ViJon old spice knock off and you have a really close match to the "vintage" old spice.

A tricky question, and the poll should have multiple options.

I enjoy the collecting side of Vintage AS, probably more so than actually using it. I have hundreds of different AS and I find myself reaching for vintage AS less and less.

I voted Avon, for the fact that I have more vintage Avon than anything else and there is more variety in scent options, so I end up using Avon more often than any other vintage AS. Also, modern Avon AS is all but gone. Wild Country is the only scent they still produce (any it's the worst of the bunch). So if you want some good Avon, you're going to be using Vintage anyway. AND... it's dirt cheap (or at least can be). I've bought many gallons of Avon at $1-$3 per bottle over the years.

My favorite AS to use out of anything in the poll is Skin Bracer. But, I find that the vintage stuff smells exactly like the modern stuff. I have a few vintage bottles with vintage juice, but I also have a few vintage bottles that I refilled with modern juice. I lost track of which was which and honestly I cannot tell the difference.

The one aftershave that I like using leaps and bounds better than its modern formulation is Old Spice. The vintage stuff is amazing. The modern.... is not.

I personally went with Aqua Velva because I really enjoy the scent and face feel from using the true vintage version. The Spanish version is close, but does not compare to the 1980's and earlier versions.
How do you handle the huge spout that is always tricky when it pours out?

Back