The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

L&L / Declaration?

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
So, it took me forever, but I finally figured out that L&L grooming changed their name to Declaration Grooming. That's how little attention I pay to the latest artisans.

I've read lots of great recommendations in the past about L&L, but my brain really just kind of skipped over any mention of Declaration, as I tend to do when I hear about yet another new artisan on the market (don't we have enough already?).

So, for the uneducated, and because their website doesn't really explain it, why did they change their name?

I can't find it now. I seem to recall it was for legal reasons when he was also physically moving to another state. I wish he hadn't. I took me forever to remember Declaration, L&L was much easier.

NurseDave said:
I can't find it now. I seem to recall it was for legal reasons when he was also physically moving to another state. I wish he hadn't. I took me forever to remember Declaration, L&L was much easier.
i think this is pretty much it. I think there may have been a partner that is no longer but I’m not sure about that, nor do I know if that was the reason.

As for the the soap, it’s good stuff. Now that I have a crap load of soaps and can make some myself, I like to find soap that has a different kind of lather or scent from all others. L&L declaration has a variety of scents but what I really like is the lather, it’s unlike any other I have. If you want to try some I’ll be sure to scoop some out and send it to you next time I’m sending stuff out. As far as their scents go, I have stayed with the early simple scents.

Another fantastic soap with a unique, creamy, lather is Longrifle. I really enjoy Longrifle soap because it has a unique and simple lather. The scents are great (Voyageur is my favorite) but they are kind of light to my nose.

I’m not against trying new artisans but I am getting more particular about which ones I want to keep. If the only thing different about them Is the scent I pass on them.

CBLindsay said:
I like to find soap that has a different kind of lather or scent from all others.
have you tried Jeeves of Hudson Street? That has the most unique lather I’ve tried. You know it’s different the second it touches your face. Very soft feel to it.

i have a tub of Declaration headed my way from a trade. That’s what prompted me to look into this. Can’t wait to try it.

i also wonder, how much further can Shaving soap evolve? We’ve definitely come very far in the last 10 years, but are we near a plateau? Or will soap advance by another leap again? I mean, it’s science, not magic, there has to be an end sometime right?

Spider said:
have you tried Jeeves of Hudson Street? That has the most unique lather I’ve tried. You know it’s different the second it touches your face. Very soft feel to it.

i have a tub of Declaration headed my way from a trade. That’s what prompted me to look into this. Can’t wait to try it.

i also wonder, how much further can Shaving soap evolve? We’ve definitely come very far in the last 10 years, but are we near a plateau? Or will soap advance by another leap again? I mean, it’s science, not magic, there has to be an end sometime right?

While the basic chemistry behind what makes a good shaving soap Places limits on just how much different the basic formula can be, there is still room for significantly different end products. Through plenty of experimentation I can confirm that source, purity and method all matter but don’t always produce significantly different products. One thing that surprised me was to find that different kinds of tallow produce significantly outcomes in terms of how the lather feels. Grass fed beef tallow really does make a different lather than the stuff I render from supermarket beef fat. There aren’t many artisans making soap with bison, duck or grass fed beef tallow but it’s out there. Declaration makes soap using bison tallow, you will definitely notice the differences. Whether you think those differences make for a better experience depends on your preference.

My my guess is we have already seen the bulk of innovation when it comes to larger scale production. What we are most likely to see going forward will be smaller production volumes with higher quality/more expensive or exotic ingredients.

Now or I must find some Jeeves of Hudson street...

CBLindsay said:
Now or I must find some Jeeves of Hudson street...
The easiest way would be winning the 50 member PIF ?

NurseDave said:
The easiest way would be winning the 50 member PIF ?
theres one easier way.... I’ll just PIF him a sample so he can try it!

We definitely are approaching a limit. There will come a time, if it hasn't come already, when it will be physico-chemically impossible to improve upon the currently available lathers.

I think what kind of makes it fun and interesting is that the optimal lather depends not only upon the composition of the soap, but also upon the skill of the latherer.

kingfisher said:
We definitely are approaching a limit. There will come a time, if it hasn't come already, when it will be physico-chemically impossible to improve upon the currently available lathers.

I think what kind of makes it fun and interesting is that the optimal lather depends not only upon the composition of the soap, but also upon the skill of the latherer.

and the water quality of said latherers home

One day we will buy a soap and they send us a gallon of water that went through a specific filtering process to provide the BEST lather!

Cvargo said:
One day we will buy a soap and they send us a gallon of water that went through a specific filtering process to provide the BEST lather!
What a great idea!

I have a tub of L&L Cuir et Epices, love the smell, but I don't reach for it as much as I used to. It's a very top notch soap, but I find Wholly Kaw and Sudsy Soapery are a little better. Okay, a lot better.

I have a couple Declaration Grooming but didn't discover them until after the name change. I do love their performance. They're probably my favorite beside Chiseled Face which I don't see mentioned much here. Maybe because of the scents aren't liked as well.

What did you think of it Spider? I'm glad I was able to pick up a tub of Harmony just as it was being discontinued. One of my favorite soap scents.
Jeeves is one I have not tried yet - I should get on that! ?

Back