The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

keeping your shave brushes clean

novicewetshaver

Sr. Shave Member
how do you guys go about keeping your shaving brushes clean? we have extremely hard water hear and i notice that my brushes get alot of mineral build up on them. whats the best way to get rid of mineral/soap build up your brush handles?

My daily routine
After applying my lather for my last pass, I rinse the brush (knot angled down) under a running tap, "squishing" the knot (milking without pulling) while rotating the handle. When the water seems to be clear, I hold the bush (knot up) and let the water pour directly down into the knot, gently squeezing near the base of the knot until the water is again running clear. Then I let the brush soak in a mug for the few minutes it takes me to perform my last pass.

For synths, I skip the last part (soak in mug).

its mainly the handles im concerned about, not the actual brush knot, they get so much residue and mineral build up even when i rinse them with tap water.

I recently scrubbed one of my badger brushes first with Dawn and then with Head and Shoulders shampoo. It got the brush back to excellent condition. The issue I had was I applied quite a bit of stiptic pencil during a shave due to a nasty straight razor kiss, not thinking about it getting into the brush. Cleaned right up.

If it's just the handles, when I start to notice a little film, I just wipe them off with a towel. Or I'll hit it with a toothbrush and either dawn or scrubbing bubbles to get into an crevices.

Or I'll hit it with a toothbrush and either dawn or scrubbing bubbles to get into an crevices.

I do a semi-monthly scrubbing bubbles power clean on my brush handles and DE razors. Load up an old tupperwear with my razors and a mountainy shot of scrubbing bubbles, dip an old toothbrush in the foam and scrub down the brush handles while the foam does its magic on the excess soap left on the razors. Then I scrub down the razors and rinse everything off. Clean and shiny as new.

I use PAA Brush Cleaner. I've made my own solutions before, but the PAA brush cleaner is quicker and easier for me.

For the deposits made by hard water, I like to use a vinegar and water solution.

And remember not to put conditioner on your brushes.

(Sent from mobile)
What's the rationale for no conditioner? I've seen some highly regarded wet shavers suggest it. I've never done it, I'm just curious what the effects are.

What's the rationale for no conditioner? I've seen some highly regarded wet shavers suggest it. I've never done it, I'm just curious what the effects are.
Badger and boar brushes both absorb water into the hairs to do their job properly.

Boar brushes of course do it too a much greater extent.

Conditioner puts product on the hair to prevent the absorption of water. And so therefore it gets in the way of it being able to do its job.

It's kind of like putting silicone sealant around a sponge. Until that stuff comes off it's not going to be a very good sponge.

Conditioner does make perfect sense when you think of it in light of you're trying to take care of hair, if you think of it as analogous to human hair. However that's not really what we're doing here. The brush is a tool and it has a job to do that includes absorbing water and becoming softer etc.

I think it's silicone particles that are actually put in the conditioner to cling to the hair fibers to do the job of the conditioner. And that of course keeps the brush from doing its job as the tool that it is.

They're also sources online, that I can't link to here because of forum rules, that talk about pH and other things like that. But for me I definitely know that the main focus is making sure those brushes can take in the water they need to to be soft and to deal properly with the lather.

And so I believe that applying conditioner, affects the way the brush works. Now of course that is neither positive nor negative on its own. I know that for me, it's a negative. But there are guys out there who may enjoy a brush that doesn't really absorb water into the fibers very much or boar brushes that take a long time to break in because that water absorption has been retarded. And so those guys might actually want to use a conditioner product on their brushes.

But I think your average shaver is more likely to want the benefits of the brush that you get when bristles are more easily able to absorb water.

(Sent from mobile)

Back