The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

kaizen dragons blood shave

novicewetshaver

Sr. Shave Member
For tonights shave i used a mixture of 1/4 tsp kaizen to 1/4 tsp of dragons blood. if i use the dragons blood straight i get bad irratation but i love the stuff so its going to stay in my shave den.
used about 8 1/2 tsp's of water.
gillette slim agjustable with an astra blade super platinum about 3 uses on it
did a 3 shave with clean ups and a 2 pass head shave, finisehd off with stirlings bay rum witch hazel and then used kaizen aftershave to finish off
overall i got a pretty good shave, no irratation or dry tight skin.

tonight was my first foray with SV products. i used 70th. i used 1/4 tsp of product to about 1 tbs and a half of water. i bloomed the product in my bowl with about 1 tbs of water then poured it into my brush, but i think i may have started out with too much water and not enough product. i got a really bubbly lather that i thought would thicken up a bit when applied to the face, but it didnt work out so well. did 2 passes but i could tell i need to do another lather so i used 1/2 tsp product this time and slowly added water to it. this seemed to work out much better and produced a much creamier lather. i think i eneded up adding close to 8 1/2 tsps of water. i had a bit of irratation and redness, and some slight skin titghness, i believe that was from the first lather tho. i did a 2 pass shave on my dome and it feel pretty fine. my skin feels only partially hydrated, not sure if i need a balm or maybe some witch hazel, i used the 70th aftershave and it felt like it partially rehydrated my skin, but it seems like i could still use an aftershave balm with this. could just need to make a better as well. another oddity is theres a slight stinging to my lips, like when you eat chilis or a spicy salsa, not sure what that is from. For tomrrow's shave i think I'm going with cubebe.

I hope it’s not a reaction to the SV soap/AS! That would stink!

Are you pretty confident with your razors…to the point where with your normal soaps, you don’t get any irritation when you shave?

i hope so to, if i get the lather right normally i dont get irratation. im not sure if its the soap base or something in the soap. its a really nice smelling soap. i want to see if the same thing happens with cubebe. if im using something like stirling soaps i can get mutiple passes with no irratation.

for tonights shave i used sv cubebe. i used 1/2 tsp of product to about 6 half tsps of water but couldnt really get a great lather, i had less irratation that last nights shave. i couldnt get the lather anywhere near the creamy shiny well hydrated consistancy im used with something like stirling soaps. did a 3 pass shave with slight irratation and redness. i noticed the razor was getting stuck in certain areas particularly the chin area. used cubebe aftershave. i noticed that when i try to bowl lather this stuff once i get past the intial layer of bloom material its hard to load and there is soap that is still stuck to the bottom of the bowl and doesnt seem to be picked up by the brush. i think i will revisit SV on friday and do a stirling or DG or possibly a CBL shave tomrrow. i hear dragons blood callin my name

Have you tried lathering straight off the puck? It sounds like you are transferring soap to a lathering bowl for loading, yet it’s not loading at the soap you put in there…. You may not have enough soap in your brush to get the kind of lather you are looking for.

Have you tried lathering straight off the puck? It sounds like you are transferring soap to a lathering bowl for loading, yet it’s not loading at the soap you put in there…. You may not have enough soap in your brush to get the kind of lather you are looking for.
no i havent done that yet, but i think im going to try it that way next time. i think this stuff might be a bit too hard to bowl lather with even with blooming what i put into the bottom of the bowl.

For tonights shave i mixed some cbl soap with stirlings texas on fire. i had about 6 days worth of growth and needed a shave as well as a head shave very badly. i did a multiple pass shave on the face with a wizmet blade which was really smooth and cut through my whiskers pretty quick. thanks to nursedave for turning me on to the wizmets, very nice blades. did a 2 pass head shave with no irratation. fiinshed off with some stirlings witch hazel and some dragons blood shave tonic. A very relaxing and satisfying shave for the night.

Last night shave was pretty rough. i used zingari mans the merchant. put about 1/4 teaspoon in the bowl added a tbs of water while i showered to let it bloom some. poured teh bloom water out and readded it in slowly and added about another half teaspoon after that. i did a three shave pass with medium irratation, slight redness in the neck area. slight tight skin and dry feeling around the chin. Not sure what it is about zingari man, but i hardly get a good shave from that particular soap.
i used my gillette slim on setting seven then tried to a clean on setting 9. used a wizmet blade with about 2 shave and 2 dome shaves on it. May take a break from shaving today and try again tomorrow.

i took a few days off of shaving after my last shave. so i had about 4 days worth of growth for tongihts shave. i used a combination of dragons blood and stirlings texas on fire, 1/4 tsp each, dragons blood has become my new favorite scent, i just keep coming back to it. i also backed off teh water quite a bit for tonights shave, i only used about 3 tsp to about 1/2 a tsp of product and got very good results. I've also took to spalying the the knot and working the soap into my face to try to active those sebum glands @BarberDave is always raving about ;) . seems to be working pretty good. did a 3 shave pass and tried my hand at j-hooking, was a bit odd left handed but overall got a very good shave tonight with little irratation or titghtness especially the chin and bottom of the neck area which have been giving me trouble lately. still bowl lathering, one of these days ill give face lahering a try. Thanks again to @BarberDave for all the videos and tips, they are helpling and making for better shaves.

tonights setup
1/4 tsp cbl fusion dragons blood
1/4 tsp stirlings texas on fire
4 tsp of water
captains choice lathering bowl
gillette slim adjustable
wizmett blade on fourth shave
3 shave pass with clean up
two pass head shave
stirlings texas on fire witch hazel
Cbl's dragons blood aftershave

i took a few days off of shaving after my last shave. so i had about 4 days worth of growth for tongihts shave. i used a combination of dragons blood and stirlings texas on fire, 1/4 tsp each, dragons blood has become my new favorite scent, i just keep coming back to it. i also backed off teh water quite a bit for tonights shave, i only used about 3 tsp to about 1/2 a tsp of product and got very good results. I've also took to spalying the the knot and working the soap into my face to try to active those sebum glands @BarberDave is always raving about ;) . seems to be working pretty good. did a 3 shave pass and tried my hand at j-hooking, was a bit odd left handed but overall got a very good shave tonight with little irratation or titghtness especially the chin and bottom of the neck area which have been giving me trouble lately. still bowl lathering, one of these days ill give face lahering a try. Thanks again to @BarberDave for all the videos and tips, they are helpling and making for better shaves.

tonights setup
1/4 tsp cbl fusion dragons blood
1/4 tsp stirlings texas on fire
4 tsp of water
captains choice lathering bowl
gillette slim adjustable
wizmett blade on fourth shave
3 shave pass with clean up
two pass head shave
stirlings texas on fire witch hazel
Cbl's dragons blood aftershave
Cool. Why do you combine soaps?

the dragons blood soap is a bit harsh on my skin, but i still like using it. when i combine it with another soap i dont get the burning like i do if i use it on its own and i dont want to take it out of my rotation since i really like the scent. Stirlings texas on fire is a bit to smoke heavy for me but kinda mellows out when blended with something else. Cbl was kind enough to send me some unscented soap to mix it with but im tryin to get rid of this texas on fire. ive had it sitting in my den for about 2 years or so and havent touched it.

the dragons blood soap is a bit harsh on my skin, but i still like using it. when i combine it with another soap i dont get the burning like i do if i use it on its own and i dont want to take it out of my rotation since i really like the scent. Stirlings texas on fire is a bit to smoke heavy for me but kinda mellows out when blended with something else. Cbl was kind enough to send me some unscented soap to mix it with but im tryin to get rid of this texas on fire. ive had it sitting in my den for about 2 years or so and havent touched it.
That’s a great technique for not wasting product. I would never have thought of that and PIF’d it. Good on you.

For tonights shave i used cigar shop hombre by the legendary cbl. got an extremely comfortable shave tonight and finished it off with stirlings gentleman aftershave and aftershave balm as well as some of cbls unscented skin milk. did a 3 pass shave with a two pass clean up against 3 days worth of growth. all in all a very good shave tonight.

Cbl cigar shop hombre
1/2 tsp of product
4 tsp of water
gilltte slim adjustable setting
captains chioce red bowl
wizemet blade 4th use (5 pass face shave. 2 pass head shave)
Cbl's skin milk
Stirlings gentleman aftershave and aftershave balm
A most wonderful shave tonight!!

soap is a bit harsh on my skin, but i still like using it. when i combine it with another soap i dont get the burning like i do if i use it on its own and i dont want to take it out of my rotation since i really like the scent.
I have a similar issue and technique with some A&E soaps and splash. If I don’t cut them with something, i really can’t appreciate what they bring to the table.

Back