The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Jon’s musing about running and things about running while running and after running and probably before running too

So apparently my specific calf injury isnt too bad but could have been a lot worse. Hopefully be good to go in 2023 right away.

Until then i’ll be trying to learn to do some other stuff to keep fitness and strength.

Last 2 weeks i’ve been staying off the streets and taking it easy on my left calf; but i started the strength training and cross training, indoor rowing and swimming and 1 mile of easy running on the treadmill. Spending about 90mins a day, 4-5x a week in there trying to keep fitness, establish a habit and i feel like its working. Also trying to minimize snacking.

Today i felt the need to try out my calf issue outside, it is so nice out today after being so cold yesterday, and see how it felt while keeping as much eccentric pressure off of it as possible, so basically no uphills and a high drop running shoe. Felt really good and i made it about 5 miles in under an hour which is close to my easy pace. No post run issue so far and i’m headed back to the gym tonite to work off some pizzas.

3 weeks of cross training- trying to make sure I stay off my sore spot, so i’ve been doing 2K meters in the pool, 5k of indoor rowing, strength training 3-5x a week, and this week i’ve added back in running with little amounts of hills until yesterday. I’m feeling pretty good but definitely a bit fatigued even though i’ve had physical rest days, i had to do a bunch of driving and getting up early on the weekends for soccer for the kids.

Interestingly, i enjoy the swimming and rowing more than i thought i would, as long as i have a structured workout in place, otherwise its a bit bland.

I think I’m pretty slow at swimming, the 2000 meters takes me about 45mins. Same for the rowing, maybe 30mins or so. But i can definitely tell i was missing core and upper body strength.

Definitely still feeling kind of slow for running. Most of my generic runs are in the 10min/mile pace last couple of days, feels good but I think all the various stuff i’ve been doing in january will be of more benefit come march.

I know this is a bit of an older post...but just getting to it. Sorry.

You have likely moved on from all that training you have mentioned...but good lord man...you are doing a lot! I think if you stuck with all of that you will likely run into issues with recovery. With all the high end aerobic training you do...I think you need to make sure you keep the resistance training. But I would honestly back down to about three days a week for that. Keeping that muscle and even building some is important especially since you probably are not getting enough calories with all that exercise. Not sure if you are alternating all the cardio stuff or if you are doing everything every day. But you NEED to make sure you add in some recovery time. If you are taking the kids to soccer on the weekend...then that is a good time to just relax and try to rest your bones (and muscles). I mentioned calories. You definitely need to make sure you are getting enough...and I bet you are not. A calorie deficit can really drag you down with all that movement.

Anyway...just my two cents. Interested to hear how things are going for you.

Back