The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

It’s an Aussie invasion 🇦🇺 🇦🇺

Catmanfan Shaves

Shave Newbie
Hi there 👋🏻

Well @Graydog let the secret out that this is the place to be so here I am. There may only be very limited air travel at the moment but thankfully we can virtually travel. I’ve been reading quite a few of the threads and posts with great interest and often a laugh or two so I hope you don’t mind me arriving at your party.

I’ve been a traditional shaver for way too many years to mention but I admit that there were years that I forgot how great wet shaving is and I crossed to the dark side. With age comes intelligence (well usually) and since my Dad passed about 8 years ago, I inherited his older Gillette DE and ‘supermarket’ brush, I made the transition back to full time traditional shaving. My initial wish was to honour his memory and use his gear for sentimental reasons but also to cut down on the waste and ever increasing cost of cartridge razors. Well.... I’ve cut down on the ‘waste’ part but when I slipped and fell down this rabbit hole, I never imagined the wondrous treasures I would find and the justification I would use to expand what started with a simple DE and now practically useless ageing brush (see attached).

I only answer to Siri these days (hence my ever increasing shave products collection) and my 6 kids, (as well as 8 grandkids and a 6 month old great grandchild), have no excuses when it comes to shaving related gift ideas. So wet shaving is making their lives easier 😂. I’ve turned one of my sons (a twin) onto to the hobby on his 30th birthday but sadly he’s the only one out of 5 boys and one girl that has latched onto the joy of it all.
I play drums and am a huge KISS/Rock/Country/Live Music fan but like a lot of us I’m sadly missing that last one. Hopefully that is beginning to change as things here are starting to open up again.

So after that very long winded intro, I have to say thank you for allowing me to join your party. Thanks especially to @Graydog for being so helpful, gracious and an all around nice ‘bloke’ (@Razor Burn and I will endeavour to teach you plenty of proper Aussie Slang🤪) A big shout out too, to my fellow Aussie shave brother @Razor Burn who’s also been an invaluable source of help and comraderie. You guys rock 🤘🏻😜🤘🏻

I look forward to talking with you all at some stage and hopefully learning a whole lot more down the track.

Kind Regards,

Brett (Catmanfan Shaves)

We do get crazy around here, at times. As long as you're tall enough for the ride, you’ll soon see how far down the rabbit hole we go!
I’m a big boy now so I’ll be sure to hang on. I brought my own shovel and have been digging deep already. Brush collection has gone from that old one to 10 with 2 more to be knotted, in 4 months. Creams, soaps, DE’s and other accoutrements have exploded out of the bathroom so much so that I’m talking to a contractor friend to renovate specially with wet shaving in mind. 🤪

Solid intro Brett! Welcome to TSC. Glad you could join us!

What are some of your favorite traditional shaving things so far?

Brett! Glad to have you here! For some reason I pictured you in front a live audience in an amphitheater giving your intro and then walking off the stage in completion. What a great introduction! Welcome to TSC!

Solid intro Brett! Welcome to TSC. Glad you could join us!

What are some of your favorite traditional shaving things so far?
I currently use a variety (don’t we all 😂) of DEs ... Model T, Rex Envoy, 6s and R41. Blades are currently Feather, Wilkinson Sword, Astra, Euromax and Muhle. The soaps and creams are too numerous to mention but faves are definitely Stirling, Proraso, TOOBS, Castle Forbes, Truefitt & Hill, Squadron Soap with a few small Aussie artisans in the mix. I try to get matching splashes and balms wherever possible.
My brush Arsenal consists of Australian brush makers. 3 from TF Custom Shaving Brushes in Queensland, (1 with a hand tied Rhodium knot... it’s truly amazing), 4 from Forgotten Art in Tasmania and 3 from Billygoat Brushworks also in Queensland. I have two more handles that I’m sending to Rhodium next week. I also have 1 brush which is a Muhle Silvertip which isn’t Aussie made. Mostly all are between 26 and 30mm knots. Yes, brushes are a bit of a weakness for me and all but 1 have some shade of green handle. Live my greens 💚 Pictures at 11, lol.

Back