The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

It’s a Pizza party

global_dev

Shave Enthusiast
i’ve spent the last 6 months in a pizza rabbit hole. OMG, I thought straights had some depth.

I’ve kind of settled on 3 pizza styles, none of which i am really great at making , but i am trying. Ny style, neo-Neapolitan, and Bari-style.

For such a potentially simple thing, its hard to do really well without a bunch of practice and understanding.

Without getting too complicated with in the weed details, here is my latest pizza. Ny-ish style.

6DD4FBF3-6FDA-4024-B286-F5A0F486C14F.jpeg

Totally enjoying the process and the results, but man, i always took for granted my local LI pizza place.

Nothing wrong with a pizza rabbit hole. Now rabbit grilled on pizza? There are two rabbit holes in one

Hassenpfeffer deluxe!!!

i’ve spent the last 6 months in a pizza rabbit hole. OMG, I thought straights had some depth.

I’ve kind of settled on 3 pizza styles, none of which i am really great at making , but i am trying. Ny style, neo-Neapolitan, and Bari-style.

For such a potentially simple thing, its hard to do really well without a bunch of practice and understanding.

Without getting too complicated with in the weed details, here is my latest pizza. Ny-ish style.

View attachment 101654

Totally enjoying the process and the results, but man, i always took for granted my local LI pizza place.
I will be the total idiot here....what is the differences in these pizza types?

I am gonna mangle the descriptions so no one take any offense, these are lretty general
Observations.

So New York pizza is a bit brown crispier along its crust, thin enough but soft enough to be folded in half and maintain no flop of a slice. the sauce may be seasoned (maybe even cooked) a bit more. The mozzarella cheese may separate and its cooked lower temp 600F for longer 5-10mins. Dough has sugar, oil and lower hydration. I like a nice well-done slice.

first.jpg

Neopolitan is higher hydration, often dough is fermented for multiple days, no sugar, no oil, sauce is raw san marzano tomatoes with some salt, fresh mozzarella, basil, sometimes toppings applied but minimal, cooked high heat 850F+ for less than 2 minutes, preferably 60-90seconds. Its got a light fluffy crisp corniche crust, yet soft. Usually knife and fork eaten.

F210D201-697C-4F7C-80BA-3E56987F0B93.jpeg

6E0D4253-2D6A-46CD-BB50-DE851914F024.jpeg

Bari style is like Neapolitan but flattened with a pin so minimal crust and a bit of a nice char to the edges.

IMG_5976.JPG

I am gonna mangle the descriptions so no one take any offense, these are lretty general
Observations.

So New York pizza is a bit brown crispier along its crust, thin enough but soft enough to be folded in half and maintain no flop of a slice. the sauce may be seasoned (maybe even cooked) a bit more. The mozzarella cheese may separate and its cooked lower temp 600F for longer 5-10mins. Dough has sugar, oil and lower hydration. I like a nice well-done slice.

first.jpg

Neopolitan is higher hydration, often dough is fermented for multiple days, no sugar, no oil, sauce is raw san marzano tomatoes with some salt, fresh mozzarella, basil, sometimes toppings applied but minimal, cooked high heat 850F+ for less than 2 minutes, preferably 60-90seconds. Its got a light fluffy crisp corniche crust, yet soft. Usually knife and fork eaten.

View attachment 101656

View attachment 101657

Bari style is like Neapolitan but flattened with a pin so minimal crust and a bit of a nice char to the edges.

IMG_5976.JPG
How do you feel about Chicago style?

Chicago style Sounds good, i havent had it much, i grew up with ny style & sicilian.

Eventually i’ll try making Chicago, detroit, grandma style, etc.

View attachment 101654

1556536717.jpg
ezgif-4-cadb579161.jpg
PizzaPusha_12-12-20_r_w_014.jpg

Lol, isn’t that what the unsuspecting used to buy instead of the real stuff back in the day?
Yeah I guess. I mean it's only fair considering what you were saying about people replacing the "real " with oregano so now they are replacing the oregano with the "real".....:unsure:;):LOL::ROFLMAO:

i always took for granted my local LI pizza place.
I gotta ask since I know you grew up not too far from me, what was your spot?

I’m gonna guess Little Vincent’s?

Also for the record, when it comes to classic “NY dollar slice” style big, soft foldable pizza, Long Island has some places that far outshine your average pizza joint in the city.

I gotta ask since I know you grew up not too far from me, what was your spot?

I’m gonna guess Little Vincent’s?

Also for the record, when it comes to classic “NY dollar slice” style big, soft foldable pizza, Long Island has some places that far outshine your average pizza joint in the city.

Whenever were in downtown, we grabbed a slice at little Vincents, but my local place was Victor's in Melville. Most of my friends lived closer to Umbertos, but I thought it was overhyped... we are talking early 90s though. every time I make my way back to that area, somethings changed.

i love pizza! glad i found this thread. i love new york style pizza and we are lucky enough to have a pizza shop down here that does it in this particulare style. i have tried chicago deep dish pizza once and have to say im not a fan of it. in my honest opinion deep dish pizza is way to heavy. @global_dev should you find any good rabbit holes on bruescehetta, i love that stuff, please post it here. there was a guy around here who made it with fresh garlic basil red onions olive oil and balsamic vinegar and some herbs. it was extremely good unfortenatly he retired a few years ago and closed up shop. looking forward to this thread as pizza has always been my favorite dish when done right.

i love pizza! glad i found this thread. i love new york style pizza and we are lucky enough to have a pizza shop down here that does it in this particulare style. i have tried chicago deep dish pizza once and have to say im not a fan of it. in my honest opinion deep dish pizza is way to heavy. @global_dev should you find any good rabbit holes on bruescehetta, i love that stuff, please post it here. there was a guy around here who made it with fresh garlic basil red onions olive oil and balsamic vinegar and some herbs. it was extremely good unfortenatly he retired a few years ago and closed up shop. looking forward to this thread as pizza has always been my favorite dish when done right.
I saw some Bruescehetta available at Lidl a short time back.... It was NOT very expensive at all..... I don't know the quality though...

Took the family to pizza hut tonight. I hadn't been there for years. I remember it being the place to go.
Well the place was nearly empty and the pizza and wings were awful.

Fired up the Emozione oven tonite and banged out 6 pizzas just now! Here is a pic of the second one. It goes to quickly to take all the pictures.

ED600601-365B-4F22-B91D-686EC8B8B6E4.jpeg

About 700F for 4-5 mins. Kind of neo-ny style to appease my families desire for a change from neopolitan. A couple variations of cheese and last one added ricotta. Also did a naan with the remainder of the dough (150g). Should have taken more pics.

24 hr room temp fermented dough with some olive oil added (i usually dont add any oil), hand squished San Marzano tomatoes, some fresh mozzarella and romano pecorino, some pepperonis and some calabrian pepper oil. ( ofc Trader Joes is selling a version called bomba now).

I like the addition of oil and the lower temp/longer cook. This is “my” crust, the one I remember from growing up or dang close to it.

Back