The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Is the Handshake Dead?

Gosh,... I sure hope not!
My dad and grandfathers taught me to greet folks with a sincere handshake, genuine eye contact, and a welcoming smile!
I'm the dude who say's "hello" to everyone I encounter, while others can literally bump into you and not say a word or even acknowledge that you exist.
Every human is important and worthy of recognition as such!
A handshake solidifies this (at least in my cultural view)!

I think in the immediate future it most likely is dead. However, as this virus becomes more like Influenza or and/or more like the common cold with treatments and vaccines, I think the hand shake will make a return.

Weak hand grips need not apply!

I don't disagree, but we live in a much different world than our fathers and grandfathers. Asymptomatic transmission of viruses wasn't part of their world. It wasn't part of our world 4 months (or so) ago.

Gosh,... I sure hope not!
My dad and grandfathers taught me to greet folks with a sincere handshake, genuine eye contact, and a welcoming smile!
I'm the dude who say's "hello" to everyone I encounter, while others can literally bump into you and not say a word or even acknowledge that you exist.
Every human is important and worthy of recognition as such!
A handshake solidifies this (at least in my cultural view)!
This! If more people would simply acknowledge one another, we'd most certainly be in a better place.

Just by saying "Hey, hows it going" to a stranger I have seen visibly happier demeanors. People like to be recognized, even if it's somewhat superficial.

Sent from my Speak and Spell via Tapatalk

Being a Freemason, the handshake is at the core of our beliefs as far as greeting someone. And we do have a special handshake for greeting and recognizing other Freemasons. And I hope that never goes away!

I don't disagree, but we live in a much different world than our fathers and grandfathers. Asymptomatic transmission of viruses wasn't part of their world. It wasn't part of our world 4 months (or so) ago.
Actually...it was part of our world...just people didn't know it or failed to recognize it. The flu has this...albeit it is a MUCH shorter period. Plus our attitudes toward influenza are very "nonchalant" because of our advancement in treatments and people feeling like they only have a small cold. I think our attitudes down the road (however long that it...who knows) will probably become the same.

I for one am happy people are realizing certain things about the way we carry ourselves...though I don't wish anyone to contract this illness (okay there a re a couple people I might want to get sick...but I have very flexible morals in certain instances... 🤪) Like covering ourselves when we sneeze and cough. You don't have to touch the rail the whole way going down the six flights of stairs in the parking garage or in the office. We don't have to crowd 20 people into the elevator. I wish the majority of businesses would have auto-open doors.

All this being said...some people will do what they want to do.

The hand shake will stay...but the people who remember these times might limit and choose carefully with whom we share personal contact.

I am with KJ on this one. I just do not see how on earth we can get through our work without it. The situation dictates and with older members in our Lodges that we take great care. I was taught as many others here to greet someone with a firm and purposeful handshake I don't know how I can reprogram myself...

A few years ago a relative of my brother-in-law refused to shake my hand at a family gathering. She was orthodox and does not shake hands with men, or some such reason. I recall being offended.

I'm no longer sure that was the right response, given these new circumstances. Although I'm not sure I've thought all the way through these similar instances.

I’m sure something will come along to replace it, but there is nothing like hand to hand contact.
I love regular hand shakes, cool multi part and shakes, and fist bumps, anything that says we’re humans in this together.

Living in Finland, getting to the point that was a regular part of my life, mostly at the gym, was a real challenge, and something I really do miss. Handshakes are a way of life in SoCal, I’m not sure how that is in the rest of the US.

Back