The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Internet Security and other stuff

Ok, I'm a huge internet user, but have never had a VPN.
Can anyone explain why I'd want one, other than to be able to watch BBC tv shows?
For a lot of people it is as simple as not allowing certain companies like Google, Amazon, etc (to collect data on you who turn around and sell the information). Also, if you are using your phone, laptop, or tablet on a public wi-fi, it helps protect you from things like man in the middle attacks and just other people gaining access to your device and getting other info. It can help secure your emails (although if you are using something like gmail I am not sure it matters). It helps eliminate location based advertising if you don't like that kind of stuff. Plus it allows you to do internet searches without fear of someone watching. I know the last one is a little controversial, but if you live in a place where you believe that Big Tech, the Government, whoever, is watching...it adds a little bit of piece of mind. It's not an absolute, mind you...but it is a good start.

Just call me paranoid @HMan ;)
It wasn't a cynical question at all Don, I know a lot of folks use them. The reasons I haven't are a combo of it's another monthly expense, it seems like it can disrupt certain 'workflows' and slow the system down. But I've never really looked that deeply into it.

It wasn't a cynical question at all Don, I know a lot of folks use them. The reasons I haven't are a combo of it's another monthly expense, it seems like it can disrupt certain 'workflows' and slow the system down. But I've never really looked that deeply into it.
I didn't take it as cynical. Sorry if I came across that way. I think you have to definitely weigh the pros and cons of it and decide if it is what you really want to do. Most VPNs (from what I understand) allow you to toggle between on and off pretty easy. So if there is a activity or process that you are doing that you might want to be more secure, then you can turn it on. Same as the other way around.

I am with you on another monthly expense. It seems like in this day and age, everyone wants their $2, $5, $10, or $15 a month. I think Surfshark that Sam uses can be as cheap as $2.25 a month (actually billed as something like $60 and then monthly after two years...or something like that). For me I have many reasons to consider a more secure internet environment.

Okay...using Brave for a while now and I really, really like it. A couple things that are not as convenient as other browsers, but over all a good experience. It's really useful browsing news sites. Brave blocks the ads and allows me a very carefree experience reading articles without having to close out ads, then reposition the web page after a video pops up and messes up your reading. News sites are the absolute worst when it comes to ads. Sure there are extensions you can add to chrome or firefox or what have you. But it is already pre-loaded in Brave.

Well, no idea what happened, but my own companies site stopped loading for me mid-crisis late last night. It still won't load normally.
I sussed out it was something local, as our customers have access.
Stuff like this makes me crazy, so after testing numerous fixes to no avail, I found a free VPN service, set it up, just to see if I could get though to my own site, and lo and behold, it worked!

Here's the link for what it's worth.

At the very least, I found a use for a VPN.

Well, no idea what happened, but my own companies site stopped loading for me mid-crisis late last night. It still won't load normally.
I sussed out it was something local, as our customers have access.
Stuff like this makes me crazy, so after testing numerous fixes to no avail, I found a free VPN service, set it up, just to see if I could get though to my own site, and lo and behold, it worked!

Here's the link for what it's worth.

At the very least, I found a use for a VPN.
Good stuff Cole!

Back