The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Interesting Lather Method

I tried this method this morning with Stirling Pharoah's Dreamcicle, and it was a big sloppy mess. Thumbs down.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I tried this method this morning with Stirling Pharoah's Dreamcicle, and it was a big sloppy mess. Thumbs down.

I notice in the video he does not say how much water to put in the lid. It led me to believe he filled the lid. I have a feeling he used much less perhaps just covering the lid. I'm still investigating...... But I don't think I'll ever do this on a regular basis. I'll leave it to the scientist that enjoy this kind of stuff....... Me I kind of just enjoy the great lathers I was getting before this.

Using the blooming water on a puck?
I test lathered with it, in prep of using it tonight. From what I saw, and my inclination in how to interpret it:

(1) Add water to cap to measure amount needed and pour into container. Close top and shake until sound gone

(2) open and put the "Blooming water" back into cap... It stays there for the rest of the Shave

(3) load from the puck to clear the wet soppy top of the puck (he said a few swirls should do it)

(4) your brush is now loaded. you use the Blooming water, instead of tap water, to add water to your brush while building face lather.

If I have that correct, this is a face lathering technique through and through. It's just altering the use of the water to better hydrate the soap/face?

That said, my test came out fine. I also did a quick test with that travel size Proraso tub and it didnt leak as I expected. I kept good pressure and it held. FYI, it was an empty container I just scooped some soap into.

I tried it again today with a hard, melt & pour soap: Honeybee Soaps. As I expected, it didn’t work nearly as well, but surprisingly it did work. Pretty thin, dissipating lather, though. I ended up going to the puck for the third pass to finish.

notice in the video he does not say how much water to put in the lid. It led me to believe he filled the lid.
I assume he fills it, or at least nearly fills it. That’s how I’ve been doing it. I’m assuming it is so that when you finish and flip it over, it all fits in the lid, since that’s

Tried it this morning with Wholly Kaw Dance of Agrumes. Very sloppy. Still had to load the brush in the soap container. Lot’s of lather, but a bit thin for me.

Yeah, I watched it again... I guess I was wrong, what comes out shouldn't be water but only foam. Not happening for me either.

Still, doing it the way I thought he said, worked really well. It was super hydrated, and every time I needed to dip and add more water, that 'soap broth' in the cap was great. Just water with some added goodness.

I don't see how he got rid of the water. I shook it until it didn't make a sound, water still existed. Maybe his water is harder than mine... or not as hard (whatever might Make a difference)?

Not that I'll use it often, but I accidentally found a good face lathering technique that is kinda like his, and works for me, thanks to this video. So thanks @Bogeyman !

[emoji106]

I don't see how he got rid of the water.
He didn’t get rid of the water..... it’s still in the cap. Before you open it, you invert the container. This makes the water portion go back in the lid, and most of the froth float to the top and therefore cling to the soap. You start to build your lather with this froth, and just dip into the water as needed.

Uhhh... that was interesting. But he also used one of the best soap bases in the business. I doubt that would work well with some other soaps.

Hey sorry it didnt work for you. I will do another video to show some details that were perhaps missed. I've been doing it for two years and find it works for all types of soaps and brushes. If you have any interest keep an eye out for the 2nd video

Hey sorry it didnt work for you. I will do another video to show some details that were perhaps missed. I've been doing it for two years and find it works for all types of soaps and brushes. If you have any interest keep an eye out for the 2nd video
I'm certainly willing to give it another try. Lord knows I've failed the first time out at aspects of wet shaving beforr.!

It's ok, but I don't see the point. It's not that hard to get the right soap/water ratio. I'm going to try it again with a softer soap but doubt it will be a regular thing.
I will have time tomorrow to put up the part 2 video. It's by no means a better way it just fun, different and does (for me) provide very consistent results.

I tried this again, sort of. I got in a new (used) soap on trade, and as I like to do when I get used soaps, I clean off the surface. So I decided to try to make froth as I was cleaning off the surface. The soap was Declaration Grooming (Icarus Base). No matter how long I shook it, the soap would not produce froth. Not sure what the deal is, but after 2 minutes, all I had was soapy water with a couple of tiny bubbles in it. No Froth! This technique is highly dependent on the the soap, I'm learning.

Hi Doug, so good to see you posting here.

A while back, I saw this post on another forum and copied the text:

I have two very unique methods. My favorite face lathering approach is to pour water into the tub then shake it till I no longer hear any swishing sounds. It creates a froth. I then turn the container upside down and unscrew it to allow the froth to load into the cap. Using a dry brush I simply swirl it lightly 3 or 4 times in the puck to clean it out. I paint that to the face then dip the brush in the cap of froth for the rest of the process. You start out wet and work it to the desired density. It always gets me to the right consistency everytime. No over or under loading. Never have to learn a soap.

I don't know if this was your post or not, as the method sounds like the one you shared on YouTube. I put it in my 'things of stuff to try', but honestly never got around to trying it because, well, it sounded like it couldn't work.

After watching your video, I tried it with a Zingari Sego base soap, and maybe a quarter of a lid of water (about 2 Tbsps) and was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked.

Thinking it was a fluke, and thinking that the Sego was brain-dead easy to lather anyway, I've since tried it with:

Stirling
DG Milsteak (a soap sometimes considered finicky)
Mystic Water (a soap sometimes considered very finicky)
Kaizen (like cheating)
PAA CK-6
Grooming Dept Amare/Nai/Mallard
Talbot Tangerine
A&E 'Regular' base-Signature scent
RazoRock P-160

I primarily used synthetic brushes-Black Wolf, Plissoft, Simpson Trafalgar, but gave it a whirl with an Envy Shave badger and a DG B9A.

It worked well with all of them, much to my surprise. Of course, SWMBO looked at me like I had lost my mind.

It was a bit trickier with the first time I tried a badger, but by the second time, it worked quite well.

This is 180 degrees opposite to what I usually do, which is to scoop soap out of a tub, put it in a bowl, add water extremely slowly, stopping just before fully hydrated, and finishing hydration while painting/agitating on the face. In the method Doug demonstrated, all the water goes in at once.

As an aside, I do not bloom my soaps when face lathering (except, perhaps, for the Saponificio Varesinos which are very hard, and the manufacturer recommends it). However, in this method, the water is in contact with the soap for a short amount of time while shaking it, and then the excess is scooped up with the brush. I rinse the soap out before beginning the lathering process, and then let the soap dry out overnight, so I don't see a real hazard of ruining a soap.

Back