The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Interesting Lather Method

Bogeyman

Shave Member

At first I was skeptical watching this, but the objective part of my brain realized that there is one constant in this method: the same amount of water is used every time, i.e., repeatability. I may try this on a whim. :unsure:

At first I was skeptical watching this, but the objective part of my brain realized that there is one constant in this method: the same amount of water is used every time, i.e., repeatability. I may try this on a whim. :unsure:
What an interesting way to make a lather. I’m mainly a Scoop, press, & bowl lather guy, so I doubt if I will try this alternative face lathering method. Then again, I just might out of pure curiosity.
Thanks for sharing this video.

Interesting, but part of the experience is how the brushes feel making a lather. Maybe this isn't so important with those mediocre synth brushes which lack face feel anyway, but this method makes the brush barely relevant. May as well get your lather from a can.

Interesting, but part of the experience is how the brushes feel making a lather. Maybe this isn't so important with those mediocre synth brushes which lack face feel anyway, but this method makes the brush barely relevant. May as well get your lather from a can.

Newer gen. synths are better than natural hair in the opinions of many.

Uhhh... that was interesting. But he also used one of the best soap bases in the business. I doubt that would work well with some other soaps.

I am going to try it later on today with another soap. I have an open mind about this.

Newer gen. synths are better than natural hair in the opinions of many.

I am going to try it later on today with another soap. I have an open mind about this.
Interesting. Thanks @Bogeyman . I think I'll give it a try too... just with something less loved. The perk ... if I use a lower quality soap, I'll know really quickly how useful it is.

I just won't try it with Proraso. No screw top seal, so it'd soon be mop time. :-(

I have an open mind about this.
You can be open minded, and still have doubts....

I tried it today with Southern Witchcrafts, which is a top performing croap. Worked remarkably well. I know I used less soap than if I had loaded off the puck, but my lather was also much thinner. So, it’s surely a winner from a soap conservation standpoint. But..... I’m trying to use up soaps, so....

Still have doubts with some other soaps, but I’ll try one of them tomorrow and see.

Well, I used this technique with a Viking soap and it was an unmitigated disaster!! Way too much water and even though there was no sound emitting after a thorough shaking the result was soup!! I used it as a proto-lather and then dumped & loaded normally for a superb shave with what is easily the most underrated soap on the market.

Looks like it works with some soaps and others not. YMMV. Tip on your way out the door, please. ;)

Well, I used this technique with a Viking soap and it was an unmitigated disaster!! Way too much water and even though there was no sound emitting after a thorough shaking the result was soup!! I used it as a proto-lather and then dumped & loaded normally for a superb shave with what is easily the most underrated soap on the market.

Looks like it works with some soaps and others not. YMMV. Tip on your way out the door, please. ;)
💵💰

I'm going to give it a try, fully expecting a disaster, and with no intention of doing it more than once.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Meh, interesting looks like a hybrid Marco method, not to mention he does nothing to exfoliate the face with the 1st lathering on the face. You need to Feel the brush. but it his shave. Pre-shave not needed Good for him.. not for me

Back