The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Interesting comment from Chiseled Face

in the video it looked like he started with a very wet brush so i can see how that might lead to not needing extra water, however, having done a 3017 with summer storm, there is no way you are going to get the best lather possible that way. adequate sure but i wouldn't do that EVER for a SR shave.

I'm sure you could do that with a lot of soaps, if you wanted to, and were good at getting the brush just right wet. Had only five minutes, and were forced to wear a button down shirt w/o a fancy lather deposit area.

Tbh, it's a fair marketing point, even if it doesn't appeal to most of us. Though, really adding that extra bit of water doesn't really add much time, certainly no 45 minutes. It's hard to do with a button down shirt though, unless it's really hot out.

Well, come to think of it, some of you guys might get more views with 5 minute longs vids. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
It’s all relative to how wet your brush is to start. Sometimes I can shave right after loading, sometimes I need to add more water.

I'm nearly speechless but I'll try. Soaking wet brush to load. Poor razor technique and 1st pass was an adequate shave comparable to his electric shaving days. Seeing this let's me know why the soaps are adequate/good but not elite and probably never will be. He clearly doesn't enjoy shaving, a smooth face or "me time" .............back to speechless.....

Last edited:
With the hyper competitiveness of the artisan soap market they’re going to try to come up with any little tiny microscopic hook to have soap be better than the next guy. So it could be a brand new soap base, it could be a brand new rare ingredient. Now, we take out water, but as KJ said this can all happen with any soap but what you need to look forward to is the brand new TSC Lather Water currently in trial testing by Tibetan Monks in Nepal on the North Face of Lhotse. You will be able to be put A drop in all soaps. In fact if the monks are successful all you will have to do is think about it, put a drop of the TSC Lather Water on your brush or in a mug, and the best soap in the world will appear with the best lather, as well as, a super model to lather your face. We are testing the tears of angels as we speak. Marketing is a wonderful thing. 🤪🤗

I just watched the video. It was ridiculous. He didn’t make later. He just smeared soap on his face. His technique was garbage, sloppy. I agree, if he claims this is his everyday shave, then he does not enjoy shaving. He wiped his face off with a towel, and then claimed there was enough residual slickness from the soap to still do touch up.... I call BS.
That did not paint his soap in a good light. I’m even less of a fan now.

I just watched the video. It was ridiculous. He didn’t make later. He just smeared soap on his face. His technique was garbage, sloppy. I agree, if he claims this is his everyday shave, then he does not enjoy shaving. He wiped his face off with a towel, and then claimed there was enough residual slickness from the soap to still do touch up.... I call BS.
That did not paint his soap in a good light. I’m even less of a fan now.
Thanks, I thought I was alone in my disappointment. He should be embarrassed to have that out there......

Maybe he's trolling??? Surely that wasn't a serious video. I had better technique the very first time I shaved.

I think he's trying to show that you CAN shave in under 5 mins if you want to. I don't think that we are his video's target audience, but rather folks thinking about trying it for the first time and saying to themselves .. "but I don't have 30 mins every morning to shave!"

There’s a bit of a trend I’ve noticed, of late, to try and time limit shaves and discussion about products to artificially unnecessary and low time frames.

I get it from a marketing perspective but really don’t get why anyone would want to do so in real life.

If it’s a quick 5 minute shave you want then canned goo and a cart is surely what you need. If you want a much better shave then, as we all already know, you need way longer time frame than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I find comical is that he specifies that this isn't a "speed shave" but rather demonstrating how quickly you can do this after years of experience.

My "zen shaves" take less than 10 minutes exactly because I've been doing it for years but I still build a lather. This guy isn't building lather. He's just loading and spreading the soap.

If he is so rushed, not sure why he doesn't just use canned cream. I guess because that wouldn't look good for him as a shave soap maker.

Personally if I'm not gonna bother building a lather and doing a quick shave I use Barbasol, plain and simple.

Spoiler alert new video title.....

What not to do when traditionally wet shaving that was junk

Meh. Lather is just lubrication. Soap is inherently slippery with minimal water. You can load almost any soap with a fairly wet brush and get a perfectly useable lather in less than a minute with no extra water.
It's just a matter of utilitarians vs connoisseurs.

Edit: I'm an exclusive DE user so I don't doubt the comments of straight users.

I'll stick to happy medium. Somewhere between him, and @GearNoir

Although props on the keeping the top button buttoned.

Back