The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Interesting Article About Saturated Fat

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
I know there is a lot of debate a lot of times about Fat. There are a lot of us who are on diets or lifestyles that have increased fats in their diets (Keto, Paleo, Whole Food, Whole 30, etc, etc, etc). There was an interesting article that came out this past year in the Journal of American College of Cardiology. I want to point out that not only is this peer reviewed research, and in an well respected Medical Journal...but the JACC is THE journal for cardiology. I just want to say that I am not here to debate low-fat diets against high-fat or even moderate-fat diets. I am only here presenting information that might be useful to some people. You can lose weight and be healthy (even heart healthy) on all these diets or lifestyles...it is just how you approach them.

Okay...enough said on that department. This is a really interesting article because for the longest time, Saturated Fat has been vilified. This article takes a look at studies and data and reanalyzes a lot of what has already been published. But in some cases, data was hidden or didn't fit a specific narrative so it wasn't published until later. I'll post a link at the bottom...but here are the highlights:

Abstract​

The recommendation to limit dietary saturated fatty acid (SFA) intake has persisted despite mounting evidence to the contrary. Most recent meta-analyses of randomized trials and observational studies found no beneficial effects of reducing SFA intake on cardiovascular disease (CVD) and total mortality, and instead found protective effects against stroke. Although SFAs increase low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, in most individuals, this is not due to increasing levels of small, dense LDL particles, but rather larger LDL particles, which are much less strongly related to CVD risk. It is also apparent that the health effects of foods cannot be predicted by their content in any nutrient group without considering the overall macronutrient distribution. Whole-fat dairy, unprocessed meat, and dark chocolate are SFA-rich foods with a complex matrix that are not associated with increased risk of CVD. The totality of available evidence does not support further limiting the intake of such foods.

Highlights​

The U.S. Dietary Guidelines recommend the restriction of SFA intake to <10% of calories to reduce CVD.
Different SFAs have different biologic effects, which are further modified by the food matrix and the carbohydrate content of the diet.
Several foods relatively rich in SFAs, such as whole-fat dairy, dark chocolate, and unprocessed meat, are not associated with increased CVD or diabetes risk.
There is no robust evidence that current population-wide arbitrary upper limits on saturated fat consumption in the United States will prevent CVD or reduce mortality.

Introduction​

Lowering the consumption of saturated fat has been a central theme of U.S. dietary goals and recommendations since the late 1970s (1). Since 1980, it has been recommended that saturated fatty acid (SFA) intake be limited to <10% of total calories as a means of reducing risk for cardiovascular disease (CVD) (1). In 2018, the U.S. Departments of Agriculture and Health and Human Services asked for public comments in response to the following question: “What is the relationship between saturated fat consumption (types and amounts) and risk of CVD in adults?” (2). This review aims to address this important question by examining available evidence on the effects of saturated fats on health outcomes, risk factors, and potential mechanisms underlying cardiovascular and metabolic outcomes, which will have implications for the 2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
The relationship between dietary SFAs and heart disease has been studied in about 400,000 people and summarized in a number of systematic reviews of observational studies and randomized controlled trials. Some meta-analyses find no evidence that reduction in saturated fat consumption may reduce CVD incidence or mortality (3–6), whereas others report a significant—albeit mild—beneficial effect (7,8). Therefore, the basis for consistently recommending a diet low in saturated fat is unclear. The purpose of this review is to critically evaluate the health effects of dietary SFAs and to propose an evidence-based recommendation for a healthy intake of different SFA food sources.

Saturated Fats and Health: A Reassessment and Proposal for Food-Based Recommendations: JACC State-of-the-Art Review

I am not saying that I am going out of my way to eat saturated fat...however, I am always hearing that you should eat lean protein sources. That fact of the matter is that a lot of our natural Food Sources have a significant amount of saturated fat. Take a look at some things that are almost always touted as healthy...Avocados, Salmon, Walnuts...these food items are almost always synonymous with healthy eating. Yet...they contain a significant percentage of Saturated Fat.

Avocado - A cup of this fruit yields approximately 3.1 g of Sat Fat - 16% of daily value

Salmon - 3 oz. contains approx 2.6 g (more if wild caught) - 13% of daily value

Walnuts - 1 cup = approx 7.4 g - 37% of daily value

I do understand that not all fat is equal. Crisco, and vegetable oils are not ideal fats, but still have a decent amount of saturated fats.

I guess what I am trying to say is that don't just assume that Sat Fats are bad for you. When consumed in natural foods like the ones listed above...there is a healthy benefit. Just some thoughts of mine.

Back