The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Owner Announcement In Memoriam of Ed 'Somnos'

The Shaving Cadre Owners

TSC Staff
Staff member
Owner
Fellow members of the Cadre it is with deep regret that we as ownership need to write this post.

We were made aware a few days ago about a fellow member @Somnos who has unfortunately passed away.

Ed was more than just a member, he was a friend to many here on the Cadre, and we feel that we have lost a brother. We are in the process of getting in contact with his family to pass our condolences on behalf of the forum, and at this time we have one request of you the members:

Please use this thread to post any remarks or stories about Ed.
1634748098652.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My heart is very heavy learning of Ed's passing. I didn't know Ed as well as others on here but we have exchanged a few private messages, posts on the forums, and conversations during Zoom calls. I feel privileged that I had the opportunity to know a man like Ed, someone who was kind and genuine, rare qualities these days. Ed and I were kindred spirits in some ways, both of us were in the Military Intelligence Corps for our respective countries. Allies if you will. We will miss Ed here at TSC, which seems so very small compared to those who knew him in person. But my heart is with Ed's family...I will say a prayer for them and for Ed. Drink and Feast in Valhalla, Warrior!

I’m so deeply sorry to hear this… Ed was a great guy to visit with and chat about all different things. I’ll dearly miss his humor and kind reply’s. I especially liked watching his cooking escapades and enjoyed seeing him on the zoom calls. We are saying prayers for him and his family.

Thank you for letting us know,

Matt

Hermano:
We had many “off post” conversations and phone calls. I especially loved our conversations about our shared vacation to “Bosnia”, as well as our SF experiences LOL. Your excitement made our little corner of the interwebs a much better place. You will be missed, God Speed Ed.
Buena Suerte y Dios te Bendiga

Ed's obituary

Edgar Pinto
October 30, 1969 - October 8, 2021

PINTO, Edgar Gomes “Ed”

On Friday, October 8, 2021, Ed Pinto loving husband and son passed away at the age of 51. Ed was born October 30, 1969 in Toronto, Ontario to Ferdinando and Felisbela Pinto. On November 6, 2010 he married Vesna Talevski (Pinto). Ed was preceded in death by his mother Felisbela Pinto. He is survived by his wife Vesna and father Ferdinando.

Ed had a passion for music and a love for his large collection of guitars, which he would play often. He also loved photography, and explored taking pictures of nature or anything else that captured his interest. He loved his rather large collection of a fine traditional men’s safety razors. He recently took up writing using fountain pens, and explored writing in calligraphy, which he found relaxing. He had a love for food and fine wines. Ed loved to BBQ, he couldn’t get enough of his new meat smoker. Ed’s favourite passion was his love for soccer, Manchester United in particular, that was his team. Lastly but not least, his wife Vesna meant the world to him. He adored her and loved her unconditionally each and every day.

Ed originally joined the Governor General’s Horse Guards in Toronto. Reached the rank of Corporal with one tour Op Snowgoose to Cyprus with the Royal Canadian Dragoons from Petawawa. He transferred to the Canadian Military Intelligence Branch in the early 90s with 2 intelligence Company in Toronto, transferred to 2 intelligence Platoon in Ottawa and then returned to 2 intelligence Company in the early 2000s. Ed served with 2 intelligence Company until 2006. He also deployed to Bosnia with 2nd Royal Canadian Regiment Battle Group from Gagetown, New Brunswick. Ed was a top soldier, great Sergeant, outstanding instructor and a true intelligence professional.

COVID-19, attendance is limited and masks are mandatory. Friends may call at THORNTON CEMETERY & FUNERAL CENTRE, 1200 Thornton Road North, Oshawa, (South of Taunton Road and off of Dryden Blvd, 905-579-6787) on Wednesday, October 20 from 10 am until 1 pm, followed by a private family service. The family request no flowers, rather give to your favourite charity in Edgar’s name.
Expressions of condolence may be left at www.etouch.ca

My heart sank when I saw this post. Hate losing a brother like this. Ed was a brother in more ways than one. To all of us, he was a brother in shaves and other gentlemanly pursuits. To many of us, he was a brother in arms, a military veteran. And to a few of us, he was a Brother Freemason.

I really enjoyed seeing and chatting with him on Zoom. He will be missed.

My dear friend Ed passed away almost two weeks ago. I am saddened beyond measure at his leaving us and my heart goes out to his wife and father.

Ed was a good man, always full of life and laughter, and never without a smile on his face. I first met him back in 2019 when he won a Graydog brush PIF I ran, and we have gotten together many times since then, usually over coffee and natas (Portuguese custard tarts) while we discussed shaving and life in general. His plan was to retire to Portugal with his lovely bride and from there, explore Europe while living life to its fullest.

Outside of family, Ed is the only person I have had over to the backyard since the start of Covid; my wife and I made sure he was well stocked with cherry tomatoes every visit and we all enjoyed each other's company during those brief stopovers.

I shall miss him dearly and consider myself lucky to have gotten to know this incredible man.

Rest easy, my friend. Somnos Sleeps.

Some of us will be toasting Ed tonight at various times please join us. You can see the thread in the “ what are you drinking tonigh” or the TSC Smoke lounge. Also feel free to post you “toast” photos here and in the other threads

“A toast across the world for our TSC Brother Ed”

I've been struggling at the realization that someone I got to know on this forum has passed away. I like a lot of you got to know Ed through the Zoom calls we host on the cadre. There was a face to the name. I was truly heartbroken to hear the news. I feel bad for his wife and dad. Ed I enjoyed the ribbing, the jokes, and your expertise in many areas. I felt like in the BBQ arena I was finally able to help you.

In memory of our friend to the north I pour a small dram from a bottle that was gifted to me for graduating from my master's program. God Bless Ed!

IMG_20211020_165501848_HDR.jpg

A0D45A03-5DF3-4FB7-AF57-A4ACBB2323C1.jpegTonight a simple toast for a friend. For a fallen brother. For a Warrior who shined brightly and then faded too early. I raise my glass to you my brother who I wish I would have taken time to know better.

May peace wash over you in the hallowed halls of forever and rest easy to know that you will be remembered.

Here’s to you Ed.

Alas Ed, I barely knew you, yet we shared so much. I am finding this in the morning while the sun is in the east. It is too early to toast you. But I know when we are all in the other side and this veil is torn asunder we will all meet again. Fair winds and following seas my bother, we shall see you on the other side.

EF277A56-AC6E-4689-93C5-EA326B6026F8.jpeg

I find it very difficult to find the words to express the way I feel about Ed's passing...and that bothers me a lot because I feel I owe him (and the cadre) the "right" words. I struggle to reconcile the idea that I feel this much pain and emotion over the loss of a man I came to know entirely through his/our interactions on this forum. Ed...Somnos, you will always be remembered. I'll be sure to fill my smoker with a bunch a great things in your honor.

I find it very difficult to find the words to express the way I feel about Ed's passing...and that bothers me a lot because I feel I owe him (and the cadre) the "right" words. I struggle to reconcile the idea that I feel this much pain and emotion over the loss of a man I came to know entirely through his/our interactions on this forum. Ed...Somnos, you will always be remembered. I'll be sure to fill my smoker with a bunch a great things in your honor.
Chris, a lot of us feel the very same. His loss is a tough one, especially because he was so young and a fine gentleman.

Back