The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

I promised you stupid questions, here you go..

jimmie

Jr. Shave Member
is there a difference in the way you do anything, from setting a bevel, to moving to the next Stone? I've seen plenty of bevel setting videos, which just makes me wonder, wouldn't you just do the same thing on the next stone? same strokes, same pressure? LOL

Setting the bevel is the thing. That's all the heavy lifting done at that point. You cannot progress without this having been done right.
The rest of the progression is about refining and polishing that edge so that it doesn't just cut, but does so comfortably.
To answer your question - yes, you can do exactly the same strokes on the next stone, (and that's ideal - less to worry about) but typically the pressure is lightened as the edge becomes more fragile.

T

Setting the bevel is the thing. That's all the heavy lifting done at that point. You cannot progress without this having been done right.
The rest of the progression is about refining and polishing that edge so that it doesn't just cut, but does so comfortably.
To answer your question - yes, you can do exactly the same strokes on the next stone, (and that's ideal - less to worry about) but typically the pressure is lightened as the edge becomes more fragile.

T
0k, ic. I tend to over think things for some reason. being OCD doesn't help either. thank you for your suggestions

Bevel setting is the major work and takes more work to get correct. After that my honing changed. As said, less pressure and not as many laps per stone are needed. Also, I may do a few other tricks depending on how it feels. But bevel setting is one thing. The rest of the honing prosses is normally different.

Don't think that after the bevel setting I should do 19.5 laps, hold my tongue just right and use 0.125 oz of water on the stone and 22 laps to make a slurry, and 9 laps on Clear Water, ETC... Some people think this way. It's not right.

Back