The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

How To Shop For A Straight Razor

SteveChuckFrank

Close Enough*
So I’ve fallen down the rabbit hole. I’ve acquired a couple of straights, and have begun my journey learning how to use them...but I need to add to my collection!

The problem is, there’s so much out there (especially on the bay) that I’m not sure where to focus my search.

What names to look for.

Which to stay away from.

What fair prices are.

What’s salvageable and what’s not when it comes to vintage. (I know that this can have a lot of variables)

Of course personal preference and final cost are always going to play a part in someone’s final decision, but maybe there’s a good starting point? I know there are some professional enablers here that could surely help!

Personally I love a good Sheffield blade. Solingen are normally pretty good too. Big things to look for that tell me to move on are major chipping of the edge, cracks in the blade(sometimes hard to see), and extremely heavy rust.

Also, if the seller doesn't post clear photos of the entire blade I pass. (Like keeping it closed for all the pics or deliberately not showing certain sections of it)

cost will vary a lot based on brand, size, condition and style. Mostly just make sure you feel comfortable with the price.

Personally I love a good Sheffield blade. Solingen are normally pretty good too. Big things to look for that tell me to move on are major chipping of the edge, cracks in the blade(sometimes hard to see), and extremely heavy rust.

Also, if the seller doesn't post clear photos of the entire blade I pass. (Like keeping it closed for all the pics or deliberately not showing certain sections of it)

cost will vary a lot based on brand, size, condition and style. Mostly just make sure you feel comfortable with the price.
Can't say it better.
Solingens as a good cheap solid choice.

Stay away from Chinese or Pakistanis blades or things that look like razors but arent.

What names to look for.

Which to stay away from.

What fair prices are.

What’s salvageable and what’s not when it comes to vintage. (I know that this can have a lot of variables)

Of course personal preference and final cost are always going to play a part in someone’s final decision, but maybe there’s a good starting point?

anything vintage is likely to be ok. better to find a less common manuf than try to bid against everyone else for a red imp.
any brand from england, france, america, sweden, japan, spain is gonna be fine.
prices are gonna range from ~$35 to 150 average for non-lusty razors in bad, fair and NOS condition.
make sure it's not overly honed on spine or honed down on width, not cracked, devils spit (corrosion) all over the edge or last 1/3 of the blade near the edge. scales can be replaced.

replacing scales with anything other than the $15 jobs from maggards or the inexpensive dovos from TSS or something similar is gonna be another $50-100. DIY is not hard, but also not super easy.

Pro restoration or even amateur self resto is personal choice. some razors should be restored, some should not and how far it should be restored to is something i think is important. shiny shiny is nice, but done poorly is not good and i've seen plenty of that commanding $$$. meh , rather keep the some of the pitting and staining than lose the hard oem facets by "cleaning" it up on the buffers. i see it all the time on the W&B 7/8+ near wedges.

Since nobody has suggested a good vintage blade from Japan, I’ll suggest it. A well honed Japanese blade will compare with anything out there IMHO.

My Fav. But i Little sticky to shave with LOL
That is one of my wifes favorite candies.. She loves the swedish fish minis tropical the best though. Its funny because she is so tiny waisted I wonder where she puts them sometimes..Then I remember shes about 5 feet 10 or 11 inches tall.... Every time I go into a Walmart I have to buy all they have which is usually about 8 or 10 packs... I almost think she lives off the things......

Back