The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

How to remove a Knot from a Shave brush

Nice video, Dave. I've heard horror stories about that method, but it seemed to work out great for that handle.

I don't have much experience re-knotting yet. So far I've cut out as much bristle as I could reach with shop shears, then put a Forstner bit in the drill press and slowly drill down to the bottom of the glue plug. The dremel works great for minor clean up around the edges. The biggest downside is that with natural hair bristles the smell is not awesome.

Dremels are fun (y)

Sometimes a little too fun lol.

Nice video, Dave. I've heard horror stories about that method, but it seemed to work out great for that handle.

I don't have much experience re-knotting yet. So far I've cut out as much bristle as I could reach with shop shears, then put a Forstner bit in the drill press and slowly drill down to the bottom of the glue plug. The dremel works great for minor clean up around the edges. The biggest downside is that with natural hair bristles the smell is not awesome.

That's pretty much what I've done so far as well. Centering can be a pain though.

That's pretty much what I've done so far as well. Centering can be a pain though.
I cheat and use a center finder with a sharpie. Once I've cut the bristles flush with the top of the handle, the sharpie marks it easily and I can get very close to dead center, even if the top of the brush is rounded enough that the finder wants to slip off.

For my Rubberset I cut the bristles down and held it while going at it with a smaller bit in a drill press to break it up. Stinky and slow process

How hot? Tap hot? Or like stove or microwaved hot?
I have only used hot water from the tap, but I don't see anything wrong with heating the water a bit more. I wouldn't necessarily use boiling water if the handle is an excellent specimen.
Hot tap water has always sufficed, for me.

Back