The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

How to remove a Knot from a Shave brush

Dave in KY

Shave Newbie
So I've been told this method does NOT work on vintage brushes as the handle material can warp or enlarge to odd shapes. However I had a couple brushes I got for $3 off ebay from Frank Shave and the 1 just kept shedding, but I liked the handle. I had a knot laying around I thought was the right size and thought I'd give this method I've seen done on youtube a try. Hope it helps someone else see how and get the nerve up to do it.

I have used that method to "remove" a couple old knots from old/vintage brushes. It was not as effective as your experience but it did soften the old glue enough to allow me to pull chunks of bristle from it. If i had had better luck removing the old knots from the old brushes I might take on a few vintage restoration projects.

I can attest to the fact that this will destroy vintage brushes.
The first vintage brush i did this to was literally a hunk of brass so it survived the ordeal. Another was the wood handle with plastic top holding the knot. The steam quickly loosened the plastic top from the wood so I could continue to steam without injury to the wood. The plastic DID warp but I was able to use heat to soften and re-mold the plastic into shape.

What I used to set my Rubberset was a waterproof Silicone. Couldn't think while filming and sorry for the side view. Showed fine on the screen and thought it would work. I clearly shouldn't have thought for myself........

I did something similar with my Local Gent brush. That dang knot was shedding like my cats. What I did differently was I didn't bring the water quite to a boil and left it in the for about 5 minutes. Worked like a charm.

I have destroyed 2-3 brushes using the above method, in the past. Thus, I have resorted to immersing the knot that I want to extract into very hot water in a cup and leaving it for quite a few hours, replenishing the hot water as needed.
Then, I'll leave the knot in the water overnight and pull on it to extract it from the handle. I have had good success using this method for three brushes and the handles are never damaged. :)

I have destroyed 2-3 brushes using the above method, in the past. Thus, I have resorted to immersing the knot that I want to extract into very hot water in a cup and leaving it for quite a few hours, replenishing the hot water as needed.
Then, I'll leave the knot in the water overnight and pull on it to extract it from the handle. I have had good success using this method for three brushes and the handles are never damaged. :)
How hot? Tap hot? Or like stove or microwaved hot?

nice brush surgery Dave, and more importantly is answers that age old questions will a bunch of guys watch water boil??? I have done this method as well withe some old ever ready brushes

CONFIRMED!:ROFLMAO:

Back