The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

How many shaves before you get stoned again?

Bill M

"Gentleman Shaver Bill"
Hobbyist
Yeah, I know Clickbait title.

I’m actually curious though since I got to thinking about this while doing a re-hone and that I really never counted a number, I just honed when I thought the shave was not good enough.

I’ll be doing little experiment on this piece in my journal for myself.

Lots of variables here for sure. I’m not really interested in how Excaliburian one can actually be, just some rough numbers, what triggers your rework, what routine maintenance you do, and the stuff you use when it is time.

My guess is about a dozen shaves is when things start getting noticed here at home. My usual experiencial trigger is resistant cutting and tugging on the first pass.

Here is a typical rework.

877A7B63-0BEC-461B-A55D-2FA8C2EC595C.jpeg

Shaped black ark then shaped Naniwa 12k followed by a progression on shaped & abrasive charged balsa.

Flat magnetic bench mount roo & smooth leather.

Maintenance is on .1 micron cBN charged shaped balsa, curvy shaped mounted Herold RI calf hide and hanging horsehide.

Please remember that there is no wrong, and the only guy YOU NEED to make happy is the one in the mirror.

Nice setup… i used to try to keep some sort of count, but the db attempts on paper and electronic went sideways. I cant believe how bad i am at maintenance of info.

I’d say anywhere from 2-3 dozens shaves before i am get bored and retweak based on some new kit or underutilized older kit.

Usually around 5ish before I need to touch up. But in all fairness my whiskers while not overly thick are like copper wire. I get about that many shaves on a de blade and they start to pull and tug.

5ish? That makes me feel much better that I want to hit the hones at greater frequency than some.

I’ve still got razors going after 4-5 years in rotation. In fairness, most of my 60-some razors get used 4-5 times a year. That said, I refresh when I want to. Sometimes to change from Coticule to Arkansas, or vice versa. Rarely do I go from natural stone to synthetic (Shapton Glass).

I think I started a longevity test on one of my Thiers Issard razors.
At about 30 shaves it was still performing well, but I lost interest in going further
Go Dallahs seem to need a visit on the rocks after about 10 for me.

Go Dallahs seem to need a visit on the rocks after about 10 for me.
I know opinions are all over the spectrum on Gold Dollars. I’ve never done a “longevity” test. I know Anthony “The Stallion” Esposito got 30-40 consecutive shaves and was still going strong when I last heard. I’m largely positive re: GDs. They’re not the same as top quality modern production or vintage, but I couldn’t tell you the degree of measurable difference.

I figure if I get 10 shaves on a hone up of a $5 piece and have to go back for a refresh at the rock pile I am satisfied.
Nothing in me drives to see how far I can push anything, even though I could.
Sharp stuff gets less sharp in use. I always get to hating how dull a knife has become before I get around to sharpening it.
I just don‘t have enough minutes left on my life clock to not not enjoy my shaves enough.
On a straight, if I think an edge has served long enough for me, I sharpen it.
On a replaceable blade tool a blade that has served its purpose gets replaced.
I‘ve got way too many Gold Dollar razors to worry about how long they live.

That’s a more complex question to answer as there are many things that will determine edge longevity/comfort before honing is required. Beard type & prep, shaving angles, stropping, maintenance, steel type & temper, type of edge honed (taped spine, synthetic, natural, convex, flat or pasted) and storage conditions will all influence results. When I started I needed to send then off after 25-30 shaves, these numbers changed as my knowledge/skill improved. To date, on average I get 60plus shaves before sending for honing and in some cases 100 shaves. First 30 shaves or so is keen/comfy and then start to mellow out into buttery smooth without atg. When xtg is not comfy/close any more it's off to the stones. Important things I’ve learned is proper stropping, maintenance and storage. Edges mellow out over time becoming very comfortable but a slight drop in keenness.

Back