The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

How far would you drive to pick up an item you really want, but can't get it shipped OR to visit a Wet shaving brick and mortar store?

Luecke3262

“I am the Grail Razor Hunter”
Hobbyist
How far would you drive to pick up something from a seller who does not ship?? I often find myself in a position where I really want an item, but the seller on an auction site or on Facebook Marketplace will not ship and requires meetup.

Myself, I live in St. Louis, Missouri and drove to Fort Leavenworth Kansas to pick up a straight razor lot about a year ago. It was a 4.5 hour 300 mile drive with my wife, but it was well worth it(Iryna and I had a great time and it was a great lot). I also once or twice a year drive to Springfield, MO 200 miles West, to visit Just For Him, Missouri's closest version of Pasteur's. AWESOME STORE BTW, they also have a huge tobacco room, high end bourbon, and nice hats!

How about you? What is the furthest you'd drive to visit a store or to pick up that unique Item????

I haven't made a grand trek for anything shaving as of yet, but I have for other hobbies.

For example, many years ago, I won a gov auction for some backpacking kit and it had to be picked up on site, in Oklahoma City, and within 48 hours of close. So I drove from KC to OKC the next day, slept at a camp ground, and drove home. It was worth it.

Though I would love to do a visit to the shaving Meccas of Pasteurs and Merz Apothecary - that would be the furthest and it would have to be that I’m either already going to either New York or Chicago - I wouldn’t do the trek just to see them - though it would be awesome.

I have made a trip or two to CVS and Walgreens (about 1 mile away) to check out some aftershaves to remind me what they smelled like before pulling the trigger on eBay for vintage versions and one to get the King C Gillette de blades.

Other than that - I’m with Dave - trip to the mailbox would be the furthest.

Now the other question is what is your limit on spending for a single shaving item?

Now the other question is what is your limit on spending for a single shaving item?
That's a tough question... On one single shaving item, I think the most I've paid $175 or so and that is combined in purchase, restoration, and honing. I bought a NICE Wade and Butcher FBU, which I sent to Alfredo Gil, who made custom scales and honed it for me. Otherwise 99% of my shaving items were less than $50 each unless they were traded for with more valuable items. Now, I did buy a 2 day set of Heljestrand MK 32 razors for a little over $200 and a George Butler 2 Day set for about the same.

Now if we are talking the most at once was a LOT of straight razors(800 or so) that I bought for $1000. Granted, about half were junk, but they still ended up costing me about $3-4 a piece once the dust settled.

Now, how about yourself?

Last edited:
Though I would love to do a visit to the shaving Meccas of Pasteurs and Merz Apothecary - that would be the furthest and it would have to be that I’m either already going to either New York or Chicago - I wouldn’t do the trek just to see them - though it would be awesome.

I have made a trip or two to CVS and Walgreens (about 1 mile away) to check out some aftershaves to remind me what they smelled like before pulling the trigger on eBay for vintage versions and one to get the King C Gillette de blades.

Other than that - I’m with Dave - trip to the mailbox would be the furthest.

CVS PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT FOR EASTERN SEABOARD:

CVS would like to apologize for the lack of inventory in the shaving aisle for all of our stores from Baltimore to upstate NY. An individual of middle age sporting a shaved head has been seen buying ALL shaving gear and mens fragrances Cremo, Old Spice, and Williams have increased production to offset 🤪

Probably a couple hours drive… Unless it’s something expensive, like a car. I’ve done it before. I’ll fly across the country for $350 to save $7000 on a car any day of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am blessed to have Maggard Razors shop located in Adrian, MI ~110 miles east of where in live in Kalamazoo, MI.
Not sure I would have transitioned into DE wet shaving were it not for my initial visit (a little over 2 years ago now) to the store and spending well over an hour or so interacting with a wonderfully polite, attentive, and knowledgeable representative. The store itself is stock full of a wide variety of wet shaving (and beard care, hair care, and body care) items that are smartly displayed and just begging to be touched, sniffed, and pondered. If you are within a few hours' drive of the greater Detroit area, you won't regret a trip to Maggard Razors. Adrian is a nice little town too, with a decent brewery!

I may have misunderstood the question. I recently did an interview with Dominick of Sir Henry’s here in St. Louis. I’ve also checked out Sudsy Soapery locally. First line shave is also located out here in St. Louis about 45 minute drive from my house. I have to pass fairly close by Maggard Razors to get to my sister’s house so I’ve been in that store a few times. But if I have to drive way out of my way I probably wouldn’t go further than a couple hours. I may be missing out on something with that mindset but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back