The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Hot Chili Sauce

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
huy fong.png

Due to some recent discussion on hot chili sauce, I decided to look into the sauces made by Huy Fong Foods, including the ever popular Sriracha (Rooster Sauce) and it's cousins. Huy Fong Foods currently makes 3 chili sauces: Sambal Oelek, Chili Garlic Sauce, and Sriracha.

Sambal Oelek
Chili, Salt, Distilled Vinegar, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Bisulfate, Xanthan Gum.

Chili Garlic Sauce
Chili, Salt, Garlic, Distilled Vinegar, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Bisulfate, Xanthan Gum.

Sriracha
Chili, Sugar, Salt, Garlic, Distilled Vinegar, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Bisulfate, Xanthan Gum.

The Chilis used in the sauces are fresh red jalapeño peppers. As you can see each successive recipe only differs by one ingredient. The first two are slightly chunky with pepper seeds included. The Sriracha is blended smooth. The first two are much more flavorful for cooking, because the sugar in Sriracha covers up some of the flavors. And if you are trying to avoid sugar, stay away from Sriracha as it has 1g sugar per teaspoon.

sambal1.jpggarlic.jpgsriracha.jpg
Pictures not to scale.

I'm going to have to try mixing some garlic into the sambal oelek.

I make my own salad dressings and use the Garlic Chili sauce in my vinaigrette. It makes them super yummy!

Ooooooh. What all do you put in it?
It's not much...pretty simple. Balsamic Vinegar, olive or avocado oil and a spoonful of the garlic chili sauce. Literally that is it. You can add some spices if you like...or replace the balsamic vinegar with red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, or apple cider vinegar. I think I have even heard of someone using rice wine vinegar or saki. I keep things simple. But it is always good.

We like and occasionally use the Siracha (aka “Rooster sauce” in our house) when we do eggs or some kind of “Asian” bowl. It’s got great taste and comfortable heat.

Thanks Don. I was mainly curious what type of vinegar you were using. I make red wine vinaigrette at home sometimes.

We use Sambal and add garlic to a lot of our food, so I'm not concerned that it's not already in the sauce.

Had to pick up more of the Garlic Chili Sauce yesterday! So many things it can be used for! They need to make it in a bigger jar!

1595112867046.png

This is the chili sauce I use on almost everything. I've gone through more than two jars in the last several weeks. I like Sriracha, and will have to try the other two. I'm not sure I can fathom using anything other than Spicy Chili Crisp, however...

Back