The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Horsehair Brushes

I have one. Rarely use it. I don't think it is a terribly great one. It's not bad at all. On par with some boar brushes. I just don't think it can compete with the synthetic brushes that are out now in cost and ease.

Last edited:
The brushes from VieLong have a stiff feeling more like boar, but the tips do not splay over time and so they are always stiff. The ones from Zenith are more floppy, which I reach for often as they are more a combination of the floppiness of a badger with backbone of a boar. I have read about getting the hair from the mane or tail determining the characteristics of the brush, however the difference between the VieLong and Zenith makes me think there is some other process going on with the hair.

I have one Vie-Long. The model number is 12705. It performs decently, but I don't use it much. I much prefer my synthetic brushes to any of my natural hair brushes.

I still see Vie-Long brushes on offer from most of the major online vendors. So, they haven't gone away, they just aren't very popular.

It appears to me that synthetic is starting to take over, at least in the low to mid range of the brush market. Synthetic knots are getting better all time and don't have the break-in problems (stiffness and/or funk) that natural hair knots do. They also have zero soak time. There will always be some who prefer boar and/or horse, but for most synthetic is probably going to be a better option.

My epsilon horse hairs are phenomal. White/brown or fan/bulb. So impressed compared to what ive heard about the typical horses.

none of the characteristics that most complain about.

I have one of the Cremo Horse Hair brushes and its a fairly good brush.. decent splay to backbone ratio... I use it quite often.. Pretty good for bowl or face lathering.

Before I comment any further I must issue a disclaimer...I have owned many horses and never met one that A) Smelled great. ) Lathered ANY soap i applied well. C) Had tail feathers or a Mane that was useful for anything more than 1) braiding. 2) whipping flies. and lastly...I HAVE tackled a horse, held him down and clipped his mane just to make a brush from it. Why did I tackle the horse and hold him on the ground just to clip his mane when I could easily have cut it while he was standing? Because I had to tackle (it was more like "ride", but it started out like a tackle) the Boar to get HIS hair so I was only being fair.

My opinion on equine tail feather brushes and horse mane (horse hair) brushes --Ugh, they aren't worth the effort. I have tried everything, they LOOK good but they are just too floppy to be useful. I made a REALLY cool looking brush with a custom handle and all and it has become my talc brush because it is useless for anything else.

I have acquired the Yaqui synthetic horse hair ...THAT is a nice brush. definitely a soft/floppy brush with little backbone but a very functional and even enjoyable brush.

...now if I could just find a synthetic horse.

View attachment 43098
To be fair I added the rubber ring , but after that its been a great brush..
So the ring (making it act like it was set deeper) helped it perform better? I did the same with my cool custom brush, I wrapped cotton string i had coated in talc powder around the base then dripped super glue onto the string to make it hard. I was able to add about as much simulated depth as the band you added but it didn't help my knot. It could be my knot was just not as dense or well made as the one i your picture. Via-Long has been known for their equine brushes, they can't ALL be terrible ...but I THINK they are.

View attachment 43098
To be fair I added the rubber ring , but after that its been a great brush..
Where did you get one that doesn't say Vie Long?

133-hero-2.jpg

So the ring (making it act like it was set deeper) helped it perform better? I did the same with my cool custom brush, I wrapped cotton string i had coated in talc powder around the base then dripped super glue onto the string to make it hard. I was able to add about as much simulated depth as the band you added but it didn't help my knot. It could be my knot was just not as dense or well made as the one i your picture. Via-Long has been known for their equine brushes, they can't ALL be terrible ...but I THINK they are.
yes the band helped simulate a deeper setting and added backbone..

133-hero-2.jpg
I bought it at target it was 12.99

133-hero-2.jpg
notice the letter color is different between mine and the one you pictured.. I bought mine within the last year or 2.. I had heard that the one with Cremo in black lettering is supposed to be better. So I guess I got lucky..

I’ve got two that I use once in a while but I have to be in the mood for it. I think I use it about 20% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back