The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Hiram Razor

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
Well, I took a gamble on this razor. Still not sure why, as I just assume I’m not going to enjoy the shave. But I was drawn in with the looks, and sort of by the name. Still not sure why it’s called Hiram. But, for any Freemason’s out there, you understand.

Taking it out of the box was a bit of a challenge. They didn’t make new cutouts in the foam for it, and just wedged it into the old cutout. The head was really was stuck in there, and the handle was longer than the cutout, so it was just odd.

Once out, I noticed quite a few blemishes, and irregularities in the finish. Small in the grand scheme of things, but still irritating. And there are a few machining marks that I wished they’d polished out.

I was very surprised to learn that I needed a screwdriver to remove the head and install the blade. I apparently did not pay enough attention to its predecessor. Nor did I see it mentioned on the site, but maybe I missed it.

It’s heavy but not a beast. It weighs 111g with blade. My Mongoose weighs 140g, and the Vector is 78g.

Will I like it? Only a shave will tell. And that will be tomorrow!

5C4A6DF2-1584-4C5C-BCED-D2218CE020AA.jpeg278E657D-C34C-45E6-9920-AD21832E5390.jpeg696A3456-4B3A-4A7E-936F-1A9A99BBC733.jpeg
53EAA3CF-6A3D-4C75-9B2D-1C4F3503B2A6.jpeg210CC621-5FC7-4899-B7F5-061290898648.jpeg7E7867E1-EDAC-42DC-872A-9A555D7ABD56.jpegF5BB59CF-DD07-4079-AA10-667B9A5379E0.jpeg4813A259-346B-46B2-9145-B3B543D0FAB5.jpeg88B1C871-8B57-4B8D-9AAA-F10DB6AAD866.jpeg
CF57189F-F659-4036-912F-4616914DEA50.jpeg

The razors are actually named after Luke’s sons.

It’s definitely a looker! But yes, “same” head as OREN with same plate removal screw system thing. They were MIMed in China, then got shipped to the shave company for final buffing and whatnot.

Looking forward to your guinea pig shaves.

Hope you like it KJ but I know what your saying. They seem to spit razors out at lightning speed unlike any of the other companies and attention to detail would have to be lacking at their pace.

I think starting out it might be a hassle, until you decided which plate you like, but you don’t need to unscrew the top to load/remove blades or anything. Like the OREN, the blade should just slip in through the back.

Did it at least come with a screwdriver and extra screws?
Nope.
I think starting out it might be a hassle, until you decided which plate you like, but you don’t need to unscrew the top to load/remove blades or anything. Like the OREN, the blade should just slip in through the back.
Wait, what? The dang thing didn’t come with any instructions, so I didn’t know you could load it without removing the screws..... mind blown. And it only comes with one plate.... sooooo, I guess there really isn’t a need to remove the screws at all then, huh?

Ok, that’s a little more reasonable...

Well, I took a gamble on this razor. Still not sure why, as I just assume I’m not going to enjoy the shave. But I was drawn in with the looks, and sort of by the name. Still not sure why it’s called Hiram. But, for any Freemason’s out there, you understand.

Taking it out of the box was a bit of a challenge. They didn’t make new cutouts in the foam for it, and just wedged it into the old cutout. The head was really was stuck in there, and the handle was longer than the cutout, so it was just odd.

Once out, I noticed quite a few blemishes, and irregularities in the finish. Small in the grand scheme of things, but still irritating. And there are a few machining marks that I wished they’d polished out.

I was very surprised to learn that I needed a screwdriver to remove the head and install the blade. I apparently did not pay enough attention to its predecessor. Nor did I see it mentioned on the site, but maybe I missed it.

It’s heavy but not a beast. It weighs 111g with blade. My Mongoose weighs 140g, and the Vector is 78g.

View attachment 14757View attachment 14759View attachment 14760
View attachment 14761View attachment 14762View attachment 14763View attachment 14764View attachment 14765View attachment 14766
View attachment 14767
Good luck with the shaves. I look forward to your review of it as I had looked at the oceans at one point....

I came across your video when looking for reviews while I wait for the one that I have in transit. Cause you know......it's always good practice to 'buy' first, 'research' after. lol
I'm glad to hear that the floating blade isn't a drawback on the performance because when I first heard that it uses this style. I immediately thought about my OneBlade Core, which was a terrible razor for me.
As for the finish, there were also some very minor blemishes on mine, but I can overlook those. Unfortunately, though, my safety bar had a slight bend or slant to it. I do believe that I notice the same thing in yours as well but to a lesser degree.
All good though, because a replacement was shipped without hesitation. So I am very happy about that.

I'm really looking forward to giving mine a go.

Oh, as for the brush vs soap segment of the video.
I'm no expert at all, but my badgers eat up MUCH more soap than synthetics. I guess it's because of the absorbing aspect from using natural hair; whereas with a synthetic, all that you load (soap and water) is available for use.

I do believe that I notice the same thing in yours as well but to a lesser degree.
Can you show me what you're talking about here?

. I guess it's because of the absorbing aspect from using natural hair; whereas with a synthetic, all that you load (soap and water) is available for use
I think it has more to do with two aspects of natural fibers. First they are more scritchy than synthetics, so even the softest feeling badger is going to be better at "scraping" off the particles of soap when loading. So all things being equal, a badger will load more soap. Also, I think the synthetic bristles are more prone to stay together, and will hold less lather between them. Some of my badgers will spread out dramatically while building a lather and just flat out hold a ton.

Can you show me what you're talking about here?

I think it has more to do with two aspects of natural fibers. First they are more scritchy than synthetics, so even the softest feeling badger is going to be better at "scraping" off the particles of soap when loading. So all things being equal, a badger will load more soap. Also, I think the synthetic bristles are more prone to stay together, and will hold less lather between them. Some of my badgers will spread out dramatically while building a lather and just flat out hold a ton.

View attachment 14766

It could be just the way I'm seeing the angle, but if you look at the safety bar, notice the difference from the left side to the right. About midway, it begins the slant a little. Try holding your hand over each half and compare.
If it has no effect on the quality of the shave, then it's all good, and I'm just, unnecessarily opening a can of worms. :)

For reference, here's what my current one looks like.

Defected HIRAM 1.jpgDefected HIRAM 2 - 9pm Wed Jan 8th 2020.jpgDefected HIRAM 3 - 9pm Wed Jan 8th 2020.jpgDefected HIRAM 4 - 9pm Wed Jan 8th 2020.jpg

Back