The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Hi from the East Coast

Welcome. This is a great place to get lots of information about what is out there. Just be careful, there are a few of these guys that will try to convince you that you need many more than the dozen razors.

I’d like to keep the razor to less than $75 or so because I also need to buy all the other shaving accessories like shaving cream, shaving brush, blades, etc. and that adds up.
Sounds like a razor from Italian Barber or Maggards might be the way to go then, unless you find an attractive BST deal. The GC or Lupo might be a good place to start! I might go for the Lupo as it’s reported to be a smoother/milder shave across the board. The .84 can have some bite to it and coming from carts as you are, you won’t know yet if slightly more aggressive razors are your preference.

I’d like to keep the razor to less than $75 or so because I also need to buy all the other shaving accessories like shaving cream, shaving brush, blades, etc. and that adds up.
You might also consider the “winning razor” from Wet Shave Club or a Henson razor from Canada. Both are in your price range. Have not used either as both are being marketed for people making the jump from cartridges back into wet shaving, but both have plenty of fans across the shaving sites.

Sounds like a razor from Italian Barber or Maggards might be the way to go then, unless you find an attractive BST deal. The GC or Lupo might be a good place to start! I might go for the Lupo as it’s reported to be a smoother/milder shave across the board. The .84 can have some bite to it and coming from carts as you are, you won’t know yet if slightly more aggressive razors are your preference.
I've seen folks say every razor is both mild and aggressive. I hope Lupo 72 is safe starting point but who knows? Probably should start with GC68-P but seems too mild.

Last edited:
I've seen folks say every razor is both mild and aggressive. I hope Lupo 72 is safe starting point but who knows? Probably should start with GC68-P but seems too mild.
You can second guess every razor all day long. You can read reviews that are all over the place, because everyone is different, has a different face and different tastes. I find it very hard to buy a razor based on reviews. I’ve been burned both ways. Eventually you just have to pick one and try it. I do really like the Rockwell, because it’s 6 razor in one. It gives you the opportunity to try different blade gaps, to find what you like. Unlike other razors, if they are too mild or too aggressive, you’re stuck.

Yes, I love the GC .68 myself, but it is too mild for a good number of folks. It’s not cartridge mild, but mild nonetheless.

If you are already on Italian Barber, they do have a razor scale on their website. It can be helpful to determine how mild/aggressive razors are. All of theirs are in the graphic, some other well known ones are listed below.

Since I haven't pulled the trigger on a DE safety razor, I picked up some orange handled Bic single-blade disposable razors. They shave pretty good for being so cheap but I got some irritation on my neck. I'm not sure how they compare to a DE razor in terms of aggressiveness but it seemed to do fine on my face.

I see the Bic disposable has a 0.66 blade gap and the Lupo 72 has 0.72 but I have no idea if they're comparable.

Last edited:
It’s my opinion that most any cart will be rather mild and probably not quite as potentially as smooth (in terms of in-shave feeling) a shave in comparison to a practiced DE user.

Carts may have a some blade gap (space between the blade and the guard) but they will all have either neutral or negative blade exposure (how much the blade sticks out or doesn’t from the razor). There’s a lot of minor details in selecting a DE that are a non issue when whipping around a cart.

And that “practiced” part is really the caveat. It’s possibly to have immediately better shaves but in general it’ll take some time and use of your new set up to achieve the “shaving nirvana” a lot of traditional shavers claim. It’s worth the journey though, for sure!

It’s my opinion that most any cart will be rather mild and probably not quite as potentially as smooth (in terms of in-shave feeling) a shave in comparison to a practiced DE user.

Carts may have a some blade gap (space between the blade and the guard) but they will all have either neutral or negative blade exposure (how much the blade sticks out or doesn’t from the razor). There’s a lot of minor details in selecting a DE that are a non issue when whipping around a cart.

And that “practiced” part is really the caveat. It’s possibly to have immediately better shaves but in general it’ll take some time and use of your new set up to achieve the “shaving nirvana” a lot of traditional shavers claim. It’s worth the journey though, for sure!
A Bic disposable isn't really a cartridge razor. It's a one-piece razor with no pivot or strips or anything other than a handle, head and blade.
B-100_Main!01.jpg

@BigHairyGobbler

May I suggest starting with a shave soap and brush. I think it would elevate your shave experience even with a cartridge or disposable razor.

I’m a huge fan of Stirling Soaps for their performance and cost ($14 a tub, lots of scents). I also bought a 2 band tuxedo synthetic there years ago that still gets more use than anything I have for about $14.

You could also get a 3 piece starter razor there for about $20 to get a start on DE’s.

Don’t forget about injector razors, they shave well and are an easier transition from a cartridge IMO. I like the Supply Co I have. They are transitioning to a new model that will be available in a couple of weeks for around $50.

Good luck.

I see the Bic disposable has a 0.66 blade gap and the Lupo 72 has 0.72 but I have no idea if they're comparable.
Blade gap isn't the only factor that goes into aggressiveness and face feel. If it was, selecting a razor would be much simpler. It is nearly an irrelevant factor if used to compare two different razors. It's useful if deciding between two identical razors, where the blade gap is the only difference obviously, but really, that's about it. I never give it a second thought. A razor can have a small blade gap and still be aggressive, and a big blade gap razor can be mild. There are so many factors, which is why many of us go through so many razors trying to find the perfect one for our face.

Two things about the disposable. First, I definitely find them to feel rougher than a DE. Second, going from a cart with a pivoting head to a disposable with a fixed head, can be a bit more of a challenge than most people realize in order to get the most efficient shave. Since the head doesn't pivot, you have to make all the adjustments to keep the relative angle of the blade to your skin the same. It's a skill that takes practice. Which you will have to learn this as you use a DE. Once you do, you can actually get pretty good shaves out of the disposables.

Back