The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Heritage Hill Shave Soap

dkeester

"TSC's Master of Bourbon"
IMG_20201105_111407_509.jpg
I recently picked up a few soaps from Heritage Hill and this is the first one that I have decided to try.

I am quite impressed. The shave performance is good. I would put it on par with just about any other artisan out there. There are better performers, but this one is solidly in Tier 1 or better on the Vargo soap scale. The packaging is well done. The labels are waterproof and high quality. The tub is very similar to the ones used by CBL, so nothing new but a quality plastic. The scent is a real winner. SOS is 3 or 4, I would say. It is well blended, and I love the orange with fir needles. The patchouli is not too prominent.

All in all I would say this is a good product that is worth your money. Especially at 6 ounces for $20 USD.

Has anyone else tried this brand? Let's share our thoughts on it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
They also have (or had) 3oz versions for $10. Less invested if you want to try more scents (especially since we all have 45,000 soaps at this point).

I have Washington, the scent of which I love, and Independence Hall and John Paul Jones. Independence Hall is a Sandalwood, and it is very lightly scented but definitely has a Woody note. John Paul Jones is Bay Rum, Teakwood, Cedar, Bergamot, and Patchouli according to the label, but the scents are so well-blended that the net effect is rich, but clean and not heavy at all. The performance of the base is really good for all three. I'm pretty happy with my purchases, with Washington being my favorite of the three.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have Washington, the scent of which I love, and Independence Hall and John Paul Jones. Independence Hall is a Sandalwood, and it is very lightly scented but definitely has a Woody note. John Paul Jones is Bay Rum, Teakwood, Cedar, Bergamot, and Patchouli according to the label, but the scents are so well-blended that the net effect is rich, but clean and not heavy at all. The performance of the base is really good for all three. I'm pretty happy with my purchases, with Washington being my favorite of the three.

Question for you... How would you compare Independence Hall to Proraso Red, scent-wise?

Question for you... How would you compare Independence Hall to Proraso Red, scent-wise?
Proraso Red is much more strongly scented, but Independence Hall has more of a wood scent. I think a large component of IH scent is the base itself. The scent is subtle, and in lather on the face, there's not much scent strength at all. So, while I think IH has a more natural wood note, it's very weak, so I get more smelling pleasure from Proraso Red.

Proraso Red is much more strongly scented, but Independence Hall has more of a wood scent. I think a large component of IH scent is the base itself. The scent is subtle, and in lather on the face, there's not much scent strength at all. So, while I think IH has a more natural wood note, it's very weak, so I get more smelling pleasure from Proraso Red.

That's exactly what I expected to hear, but I wanted to be sure. Looks like I'm going to order some Proraso Red Super formula soon (instead).

I'm just going to have to try a different HH soap. I'll wait until after the Holidays. I need to stop shopping, if nothing else for my Reindeer buddy's sake. Lol.

That's exactly what I expected to hear, but I wanted to be sure. Looks like I'm going to order some Proraso Red Super formula soon (instead).

I'm just going to have to try a different HH soap. I'll wait until after the Holidays. I need to stop shopping, if nothing else for my Reindeer buddy's sake. Lol.
Proraso Red was one of the first lathering products I used after I started wetshaving. I commonly use the Red Pre-shave, and love the Aftershave. To me, doing the full-on Proraso Red shaving regime is like eating a comfort food. It's just great stuff.

Proraso Red was one of the first lathering products I used after I started wetshaving. I commonly use the Red Pre-shave, and love the Aftershave. To me, doing the full-on Proraso Red shaving regime is like eating a comfort food. It's just great stuff.

Not to derail the thread...

I have the tube of Red, and after this evening shave, I don't know that I need the "super formula". I used a LOT of cream, and really let it soak in. It ended up being a VERY protective lather, moreso than my last attempt with this tube and miles beyond my prior attempts with the Proraso Red tub. I'm impressed more each time I shave with it.

I have been using this soap for the last 13 or so shaves. I have to say that I am very satisfied with the performance. It is definitely a top tier soap for me. Adding the cost for the full to the brim tub to the equation, I would say that this soap is a great value. Is it the best thing ever? Well, I doubt it would compete with something like the CBL Orion base, but I think it is easily as good as Noble Otter, OZ Shaving, or Declaration Grooming.

The biggest ding against it would be the lack of variety in the available scents. They have only 6 scents, including an unscented product. It would be nice if they had a few more.

Back