The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Hemp Oil soap ...should I or shouldn't I?

CBLSoap.com

a.k.a. CBLindsay
Artisan Retailer
Legacy
Concierge
First, let me be clear about my intent. I am not posting this to persuade ANYONE to use or not use a product containing hemp oil. Nor am I claiming to be an authority on all things hemp. I am only sharing my opinion(s) which are based on my understanding ...which is based on my research. ***one more time...I am not telling anyone to ignore their own intuition when it comes to using hemp oil products, you must form your own opinions and act accordingly***

For years people have wondered if the use of Hemp Oil containing products would or could result in a positive drug test. For those working in industries where random drug tests are used to enforce a zero tolerance policy the possibility of testing positive for a restricted substance is reason enough to abstain from recreational drug use and the consumption or use of products that have the potential to result in positive test results ...because the risk is just too large. We have all heard stories about the employee who tested positive for opiates after eating a poppy seed muffin (opium is derived from poppy seeds) ...but can the same be said about hemp seed? Strictly speaking, the answer is no, eating hemp seeds/ hemp hearts can not result in a positive THC test result.

Why is it that eating poppy seeds has the potential to result in a positive opioid test but consuming hemp seed does not? Because Poppy seeds DO contain trace amounts of opioid compounds while Hemp seeds do not contain the THC compounds that are necessary to produce a positive test result. But, But But... no buts, hemp seed does not contain THC so eating them won't result in a positive test.

Why are people so fearful of hemp oil in skin care products then? While hemp seeds do not contain any THC the hemp plant itself does contain a small amount. The amount of THC contained in hemp plant material is less than 0.3% (the legal limit enforced by the US government), compared to the marijuana which contains anywhere from 5-30% THC. Since harvesting hemp seeds for the production of oil inevitably results in contamination from the plant material that contains trace amounts of THC, it stands to reason at least some of that contamination will remain in the oil collected from the seeds. Improved washing and refining techniques can reduce the amount of contamination but it is likely that a trace amount of THC remains in the oil collected. If it weren't for the contamination by plant material it would be possible to declare without a doubt that hemp oil has no potential to produce a positive THC metabolite test result. Because we can not say with absolute certainty the POTENTIAL does not exist many choose to interpret this as proof that is may be possible.

*note, hemp hearts are hemp seeds that have had the hull removed like a sunflower seed without its shell. Sunflower oil is produced by pressing whole sunflower seeds with hulls ...hemp oil is usually produced in the same way. so eating the seeds is not the same as consuming the oil.

Among those that took the stance that "it may be possible" is the US military. I don't know what their current stance is but as recently as 2013/2014 the military took the stance that ALL hemp oil skin products were prohibited. They seemed to acknowledge the fact that hemp oil products would not/could not result in the user getting "high" but they took the position that it might be possible to test positive for THC as a result of use therefor it was prohibited. Since 2013/2014 there have been various judgments against the US Military stating they could not ban a product simply because it contained hemp oil ...those law suits don't do anything to clarify the potential (or lack of) that hemp oil would or could result in a positive test result. ...As I said above, I have no idea where the military stands today. It seems their stance on hemp products (and a bunch of other health food supplements) changes daily depending on who is in charge and whether the groundhog saw its shadow 16 years ago.

Clear as mud?

My thought process is this.
A typical shaving soap formula might contain 1-3% hemp oil by weight of finished product. Assuming the oil was contaminated with the same percentage of THC as might be present in the plant (0.3%) the THC content in the soap might be as much as 0.003% to 0.009% THC (assuming ZERO degradation due to heat and lye exposure). At those levels the "potential" becomes quite small to me.

Now that Hemp oil has become more ubiquitous in skin care products I suspect there will be more studies done that prove whether it is possible to test positive or not. I am aware of several "studies" done that seem to prove regular use of hemp oil containing products (and the consumption of hemp seed and/or oil) does not result in positive test results but most are presented in a way that makes them appear anecdotal. On the flipside so to speak, I suspect there have been cases where someone has tested positive for THC and claims it was a false positive caused by hemp oil suntan lotion. Unlike poppy seed muffins I don't think there have been any studies proving it possible to test positive for THC after using a hemp oil skin product.

Fortunately hemp oil isn't something you can't live without so if you choose to avoid it you can do so without suffering any loss.

You already covered most of the response I had in my head upon reading the thread title so I will just add that in addition to the extremely small amount of thc the could theoretically make it into the final soap, when you then factor in the small amount we use to lather, and then the even smaller amount that can be absorbed during the course of a shave, I personally have zero worries about using a soap containing hemp oil.

Here's the Cole's Notes version:

You won't get busted at work for a failed drug test by eating Chris's hemp oil soap.

I did my research.... I have a security clearance with a zero drug use policy. Iā€™m not worried about using hemp oil shaving soap. Itā€™s one of my favorites.

Hemp is simply an additive oil with its own benefits. You could never make a good enough soap if your concentrations of hemp are high enough to trigger a drug test response. I think a true CBD soap is a good alternative... but again, what's the point of CBD when all we want is a good shave? Tallow, meadowfoam, jojoba, sunflower, etc... are great alternatives to CBD... as well as the lubricants that maintain the slickness the shave needs... without the controversy... lol.... I think the additive of hemp or CBD to an aftershave or beard butter/balm would do more wonders to the skin in the long run... Just my opinion.

However.. my formula does contain hemp oil piggybacking on the benefits.

Thanks Chris for this VERY informative post! There is a lot of misconceptions going on in our very confused country on the topic of Hemp vs. CBD vs. Marijuana. All are very different and even come from similar...but different plants.

Everyone must make their personal choices on whether to use or not to use and I have the utmost respect for that. As you said...all in all...it's just an option we don't have to have. I for one LOVE your hemp oil base!

Thanks Chris for this VERY informative post! There is a lot of misconceptions going on in our very confused country on the topic of Hemp vs. CBD vs. Marijuana. All are very different and even come from similar...but different plants.

Everyone must make their personal choices on whether to use or not to use and I have the utmost respect for that. As you said...all in all...it's just an option we don't have to have. I for one LOVE your hemp oil base!
I think we are about to see things get more complicated before they get clearer. Rite Aid will be selling CBD products in store in 2 states. I have no idea what those products are but you can bet someone will test positive and blame rite aid, rightly or wrongly. There will ultimately have to be testing and proof that stands up in the courts. That said, introducing CBD into the conversation is an unnecessary confusion when it comes to skin care alone. Hemp oil is and has been used solely for its skin nourishing properties, there was never and implication it was of medicinal or magical benefits

I think we are about to see things get more complicated before they get clearer. Rite Aid will be selling CBD products in store in 2 states. I have no idea what those products are but you can bet someone will test positive and blame rite aid, rightly or wrongly. There will ultimately have to be testing and proof that stands up in the courts. That said, introducing CBD into the conversation is an unnecessary confusion when it comes to skin care alone. Hemp oil is and has been used solely for its skin nourishing properties, there was never and implication it was of medicinal or magical benefits
Agreed..meadowfoam and jojoba do great wonders on the skin. Hemp could be slightly overrated....but it is still good

I've had a number of drug tests over the years. Switching jobs, randoms, injuries, going to new plants, whatever. I just noticed the other night that the one liquid soap that I have used for almost the last 20 years has hemp oil in it. Never had any questions, flags, or anything at all on a drug test.
If washing my entire body with it doesn't trigger anything, I'm not in the least bit concerned with the small amount that will be in a shave soap.

Looks like Iā€™ve been doing it wrong all this time. Looking forward to NurseDaveā€™s next After Dark shave video now.

Sounds like you should change the name from CBL to CBD hahaha just joking.

Hemp Oil is good for your skin and CANNOT result in a false positive in a drug test. If it is a ingredient that could potentially make a even better product i say go for it, doesnt hurt to experiement and see what the results yield.

Agreed..meadowfoam and jojoba do great wonders on the skin. Hemp could be slightly overrated....but it is still good
Based on research and experience I think jojoba and hemp oil are the two best oils we can put on our skin. Meadow foam is right up there too and it has the added benefit of improving scent retention, making scent prominence a big part of the finished product.

Jojoba is also quite expensive so it is hard to justify its use when hemp oil is of similar quality. Turns out Cetyl alcohol (an ingredient in CBL soap) has similar properties as Saponified jojoba oil when used in soap. Using cetyl alcohol and hemp oil is bound to provide a superior feel at a reduced overall expense.

I agree hemp may have been imbued with unrealistically supernatural powers but it is one of two oil (jojoba being the other) that most readily absorbs Into the skin. Grape seed, safflower, sunflower, meadow foam and almond are also great but to a lesser extent than hemp and jojoba.

Okay Chris...while we are sort of on the subject of the different oils...and if you want I can start a new thread on it. But what are your thoughts on oils that are extracted from their raw component by means of heat or chemical as opposed to expeller pressed. I know for cooking purposes, I will absolutely not use an oil that is processed by means of heat or chemical. But as far as cosmetic uses (if that is what shaving is)...what are your thoughts.

Okay Chris...while we are sort of on the subject of the different oils...and if you want I can start a new thread on it. But what are your thoughts on oils that are extracted from their raw component by means of heat or chemical as opposed to expeller pressed. I know for cooking purposes, I will absolutely not use an oil that is processed by means of heat or chemical. But as far as cosmetic uses (if that is what shaving is)...what are your thoughts.
I think there are advantages to using heat or chemical methods that expeller or cold pressed may not offer. It really comes down to what you are hoping to achieve. There are components that are left behind or inefficiently released by pressing and there are others that are damaged with heat and/or chemical. In general I think oils intended to provide mostly fragrance the method is less important, whatever gives the desired fragrance profile is good with me. I think the method matters more when you intend to consume the oil, it makes sense that obtaining oil via heat or chemical may degrade beneficial compounds or result in unintended inclusion of undesirable compounds. For skin care purposes I think the issue is more that the oil might contain undesirable stuff if obtained via ā€œextremeā€ methods.

Consider this...when oils are expressed from cannabis you get one thing, treat that oil with a solvent such as butane and you get a different, more powerful product that has less ā€œundesirableā€ compounds per unit. Whether the expeller pressed oil is better or worse than the solvent extracted concentrate is a matter of perspective.

Consider this...green coffee beans can be pressed, steeped or steamed to get oil and other ā€œdesirableā€ compounds. You try to brew a tea with those green beans and you get a very floral and un-coffee like drink. ROAST those beans In a very prescribed way and new flavor compounds are formed, sugars caramelized and oils released turning those beans into a magic elixir fit for the gods. Different methods and treatments produce different outcomes.

I donā€™t think itā€™s advisable to paint with too broad a brush when it comes to extracting oils and compounds. I think the best thing to do is keep the ā€œwhyā€ in mind and proceed accordingly. WHY am I using this oil? WHY is one method better or worse than another in MY situation. WHY is a certain method used or recommend by the manufacturer?

Back