The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Help me with eating avocados!

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
So...I have a love hate relationship with avocados. There are a lot of studies out there that say how good they are for you. Not to mention they have great fats and great fiber. Not to mention a lot of great vitamins and minerals. Here is my issue...I am not all that crazy about them. I can eat them in guacamole. And sometimes I can eat them other ways. I find that I do better with salt and seasoning with them. But other times I even think about an avocado and it turns my stomach. I mean really turns my stomach. It's not a texture thing or a taste thing...I think it is a bit of both.

So help me find ways to eat these super healthy super foods. Recipes...techniques...additions...and in dishes...I am open to all.

Yeah, the toas
Spread it on toast like you would peanut butter (mash with a fork if you need help making it spreadable) or nice think slices on a burger. Easy peasy!
Yeah the toast is out of the question. On the burger...maybe...I'll give it a try. But as undiscerning as my stomach is...it is very particular when it comes to the little green fruit.

Is this supposed to be a Keto-friendly thead, or can I suggest crackers instead of toast? A dribble of hot sauce helps kick it up as well.

Slice, Lemon or Lime and Tanjin

Place in a protein shake, makes it super creamy with no taste and if mixed with a good protein powder not even green

Guacamole - minue the onion and tomato

In a mixed salad dressing of Vinegar and oil

mixed with cottage cheese

slice thin and use in place of cheese

Slice, Roll in spicy pork rinds and Fry or air fry

Is this supposed to be a Keto-friendly thead, or can I suggest crackers instead of toast? A dribble of hot sauce helps kick it up as well.
Not necessarily keto... my diet right now is Very Low Carb, but not always keto. The things I am not eating though are processed foods (generally speaking), grains ( I might make an exception every now and then for things like oatmeal, spelt, barley, and some seeds and maybe rice...but not likely), high sugar fruits, and especially seed and industrially made oils (vegetable oil, canola oil, corn oil, margarine, and the like).

So...while I appreciate the substitution, it's probably not something I will eat. The hot sauce though is a great idea.

Place in a protein shake, makes it super creamy with no taste and if mixed with a good protein powder not even green
Never even thought of this...and is a great idea. I have a philosophy with protein. If I am having protein...their needs to be a fat with it. This would really help with those days I don't want to put MCT or coconut oil with lean protein or protein powder.
mixed with cottage cheese
This just blew my mind! Going to try it tomorrow.
Slice, Roll in spicy pork rinds and Fry or air fry
Okay...now I am in love!

I find that the taste of the avocado mostly is hidden when I put it on a big sandwich, with lots of other stuff. Especially a breakfast sandwich with egg, ham, cheese, mayo, etc.

One thing I love to do is slice them up and fry them in coconut oil. Best keto french fries I've tried!

Sprinkle with Everything Bagel seasoning!

Drizzle generously with hot sauce.

Bonus tip for keeping your avocados lasting the longest, and staying good.
Never buy ripe Avocados. Ripe avocados bruise easy, and many are already bruised when you buy them, and those will go bad fast. I've cut open a few only to discover the whole thing is bad. As expensive as they are at times, that's a big loss.
But them when that are green and firm, and always buy ones with the stem piece still attached if possible. Take them home and put them on the counter until they ripen. Once ripe, move them to the fridge. They will last weeks in the fridge! I found them recently for 25 cents a piece and bought a dozen of them. I should go back and get more.

Never even thought of this...and is a great idea. I have a philosophy with protein. If I am having protein...their needs to be a fat with it. This would really help with those days I don't want to put MCT or coconut oil with lean protein or protein powder.
I use this, purified water, 1/2 Avocado, 1 egg, ice and one scoop Good meal replacement as well and comes in different flavs

Keto Protein 1.jpgKeto Protein2 .jpg

So...I have a love hate relationship with avocados. There are a lot of studies out there that say how good they are for you. Not to mention they have great fats and great fiber. Not to mention a lot of great vitamins and minerals. Here is my issue...I am not all that crazy about them. I can eat them in guacamole. And sometimes I can eat them other ways. I find that I do better with salt and seasoning with them. But other times I even think about an avocado and it turns my stomach. I mean really turns my stomach. It's not a texture thing or a taste thing...I think it is a bit of both.

So help me find ways to eat these super healthy super foods. Recipes...techniques...additions...and in dishes...I am open to all.
Eat garbanzo beans instead, very good for you and doesn't taste like paste.

I’ve been bravely trying to choke ‘em down like you Don! Not sure why I find then so repugnant. I tried some guacamole from Chipotle the other night (they now have cauliflower rice! And a keto bowl!) it was not so bad when I dipped it up with pork rinds and doused in sriracha. I think I can eventually incorporate them in more menu items.

This won't be healthy in the least, but it is delicious. A Mexican restaurant around here does a deep fried avocado. They cut it in half, remove the pit, stuff chorizo into the void, put it back together, batter it and deep fry it. You're welcome.

This won't be healthy in the least, but it is delicious. A Mexican restaurant around here does a deep fried avocado. They cut it in half, remove the pit, stuff chorizo into the void, put it back together, batter it and deep fry it. You're welcome.
Yeah...probably not going to do it that way...but it gives me an idea. I could still do the chorizo or another sausage or meat and maybe give it an almond flour crust and air fry it. Ideas!

Sounds good except for the avocado part.

I love me some egg scramble on the weekend. Breakfast sausage, green peppers, maybe mushrooms. Then a little shredded cheese while it's in the pan. Dump it on a plate and cover it with diced avocado and salsa. Maybe add a diced tomato as well.

I love me some egg scramble on the weekend. Breakfast sausage, green peppers, maybe mushrooms. Then a little shredded cheese while it's in the pan. Dump it on a plate and cover it with diced avocado and salsa. Maybe add a diced tomato as well.
Love it!

Actually that would be perfect for keto but instead of a regular batter roll it in crushed pork rinds and then deep fry it I may try that this weekend thanks

I usually just eat them things sliced with a little oil and a sprinkle of salt & pepper, or plain. I NEVER find them for $0.25 unless they are in a state that will never ripen or are rotten. If I were able to find avocados for a reasonable price on a regular basis my family would certainly eat more of them. They are great when spread on a good crusty bread when making a hoagie...with turkey, bacon and some provolone (the only time I say I want a turkey sandwich). I guess this would mean you could use it in place of mayo in a number of ways and places. I have never (that I remember) bended one into a smoothie but I know it is done and I can understand why, they are a wonderful texture and would add a nice fatty feel while adding a meaningful amount of nutritional value.

The bigger question is...WHY force a food item into your diet when there are so many others available UNLESS it is available in great abundance and others are not? And dude, you eat organ meat...you can smear avocado on balsawood and enjoy it.

Back